Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 04:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
And how exactly would 200,000 people get out of the way?
So now we're up to 200,000? I thought you guys were talking about "only" 30,000 a few posts back. I would assume there would be evacuation orders. You know, like in NOLA during Katrina? Or, more recently in KY during the ice storms, which also involved well over 200,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 05:05 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
And how exactly would 200,000 people get out of the way?
That's a real good question.
Many of the cities in the area have evacuation plans such as this one:

City of Orting Lahar Evacuation Plan (http://www.cityoforting.org/emergency_management/evacuation_plan.html - broken link)

The most immediate danger is from Lahars (boiling mud flows) and the answer there is to get to higher ground. The Ash issue is much more difficult to deal with since it can cover a MUCH larger area and is unpredictable in regard to where it falls (depends upon the winds at any given moment). Especially since Mt St Helens, ALL the cities in the region are well aware of the potential danger Mt Rainier poses - and the eruption of Mt St Helens itself provided a treasure trove of how such explosive eruptions occur (Mt St Helens' blast was 400 times the power of the atomic bomb that leveled Hiroshima - and flattened 100+ foot trees more than 20 miles away).

Needless to say, dealing with an event like that is a MAJOR challenge. All the more reason early warning is essential.

Most folks have NO CLUE as to just how POWERFUL these events are.

Ken

Old 02-25-2009, 05:06 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Dixiegirl7 seems to be laboring under the impression that there is only one candidate at a time that is groomed by the Party, the logic of which must surely be the reason why the GOP had 10 of them.

My dear belle of the South, Bobby Boy is most definitely being groomed for the 2012 run. And if the people in the know haven't told you, that may be because you don't know all the folks in the "know."

Here is a thought, you worry about your party and we will take care of ours. You know nothing about the GOP except what you read on this little internet site and glean from CNN and MSNBC. Jindal is and will be a leader in the GOP, and may even be on the 2012 ticket but more than likely not in the top spot.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:07 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
Uhm...guys...I'm still wading through the 600 pages on this thread, but can we remind ourselves that Yellowstone is one big-ass volcano. We'd all feel that impact.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I love it. If your skin is not lily white and you aren't a fat old white evengo-fundie wingnut, then it simply must mean you're an immigrant; after all, there are immutable laws of the universe: White=God's People, no others need apply (GOP Rule Book, Page 1).
^ Bigotry.
Lets change a few words so you can see how silly your bigotry is.

I love it. If your skin is not tar black and you aren't a fat old black race baiter, then it simply must mean you are a Republican....after all there are immutable laws of the universe: Black=Chosen Democrats, no others need apply (Al Sharpton Rule Book, Page 1).

Old 02-25-2009, 05:09 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So now we're up to 200,000? I thought you guys were talking about "only" 30,000 a few posts back. I would assume there would be evacuation orders. You know, like in NOLA during Katrina? Or, more recently in KY during the ice storms, which also involved well over 200,000 people.
RE-read the post. The 30,000 was just from ONE of the possible mudflows. If the mountain blew - ALL of those mudflows would be active. In a major event, all 3+ million people in the greater Seattle-Tacoma region could be affected.

Ken

Old 02-25-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Right of the top of my head I can think immediately of 4 long-time Republicans in my circle of friends and family who ALL voted for Obama this time around.
The reason?
In every case - Palin.
McCain was a long shot to start with.
Palin lessened his chances considerable.
All 4 of those folks had planned to vote for McCain until Palin came on board.

Ken

And I know just as many, actually more than were not going to vote for McCain and did because of Palin. If not for Palin, he would have gotten skunked. It was as close as it was only because of Palin. She was not my VP choice by far either.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The "rest of the story" I heard on NPR said that Jindal may be peaking a little too early. Mind you, this was before he bombed last night.

That might be putting it kindly.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
You must have missed post 19, where 200,000 estimated are in the shadow of Hawaiian volcanoes. Don't know how they'd move that many people off an island.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Perfect example... what the hell are those people going to do when they find out their tiny islands are about to explode?
Oh I don't know...maybe evacuate so people are safe when it does explode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections