Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:40 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
First of all, I do not "lack knowlege about adopting a pet" and have taken in animals all of my life, since childhood so I know a little something about it. What does that have to do with the statement that I hate anyone? Stupidity is rampant with some of you. This is my opinion and you are entitled to yours. It works that way, opinions and such.
I get what you were trying to say originally. You think the girls would have more fun with a puppy. I agree in a sense because everyone loves puppies, but I also disagree in a sense. Since they're so young and they're expected to take care of the dog, it might be beneficial to have an older dog that is probably already potty trained and has some basic manners. If they've never had a dog, they might be overwhelmed by a rambunctious puppy. I think it'll be fine. Portuguese Water Dogs aren't exactly common as it is so if they were trying to rescue it would have to be an adult anyway.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYankee69 View Post
more front page news for time magazine. no one cares
Bingo

Old 02-25-2009, 03:48 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times
Quote:
First of all, I do not "lack knowlege about adopting a pet" and have taken in animals all of my life, since childhood so I know a little something about it. What does that have to do with the statement that I hate anyone? Stupidity is rampant with some of you. This is my opinion and you are entitled to yours. It works that way, opinions and such.
My post had nothing at all to do with any statement about your hating anyone. Please re-read. I was addressing the issue of rescuing/adopting an older pet versus a "baby" pet.

IMO, most people don't think about what happens to the older animals who are in shelters, etc., who do not get adopted/rescued. If you think I'm stupid, well, you're welcome to your opinion.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:52 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
First, lots of people care about this issue as a human interest story. Not earth shattering, but a little fun nonetheless. Even those of you griping about it know that's true.

Second, we've always adopted adult pets and they're very easy to bond with, especially dogs. The last two shelter dogs we adopted seemed to understand that we had brought them home from a scary environment and appeared to remain forever grateful. Third, if you adopt an adult dog you have a preview of its temperament that you don't really get with a puppy. That's especially important when you're adopting a pet into a home with children.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
I'm glad they're rescuing an older dog. It IS more practical and a good statement to make. Can't say I agree with their breed choice, though. Heh, I really don't like poodles and that dog looks too much like a poodle to me. And what is UP with its hairdo?!

Now, if they had asked me, LOL, I would have recommended a soft-coated Wheaten Terrier. It's medium-sized, very smart, very cuddly and has "hair" rather than fur so it's better for people who may be allergic. Oh, well!

Hope the kids enjoy their dog. Puppies teethe, chew things to bits, and pee/poop on stuff so while they may be initially disappointed that they're not getting a puppy, an older dog will be a much better pal for them.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
WOW! What a bunch of cry babies here!

These kids are looking forward to their first dog. They are excited. Their parents want to share the excitement with them.

Because of a medical issue with one of the girls, the parents have to find a dog that will be compatible with this condition.

Personally - the only issue to me is - that two young children, who happen to live in the White House, are looking forward to a new family member!

Those that are critical of this - need to go away and get a life!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:19 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
You are kidding, you think they have to deal with much. They do have staff for the dirty work. Why don't they adopt a 35 year old too...lol.
Coming from someone who obviously doesn't know any better.

If someone else is going to do the dirty work (that's part of owning a pet, you know), why bother to get one at all? They might as well borrow a dog for them.

Besides, once they're out of the White House, who's going to want to bother with the dog? Oh, I get it, they can conveniently dump it once they get it in their own home. Like the Clinton's did with Socks.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Puppies are rescued every day and are much more fun for little kids. I am just thinking about the kids, sorry.
What? They can't have fun with an adult dog? Overexhuberant kids can easily injure a puppy, a puppy who most likely doesn't have the experience to deal with small kids.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:25 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Coming from someone who obviously doesn't know any better.

If someone else is going to do the dirty work (that's part of owning a pet, you know), why bother to get one at all? They might as well borrow a dog for them.

Besides, once they're out of the White House, who's going to want to bother with the dog? Oh, I get it, they can conveniently dump it once they get it in their own home. Like the Clinton's did with Socks. But that's a Democrat for you.

I would hope the dog will be grown up and trained in four years. What is the time frame for puppyhood...lol. You do know it isn't like kids, puppies grow up in a year, two tops. Talk about not knowing better, you just need to be quiet.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I get what you were trying to say originally. You think the girls would have more fun with a puppy. I agree in a sense because everyone loves puppies, but I also disagree in a sense. Since they're so young and they're expected to take care of the dog, it might be beneficial to have an older dog that is probably already potty trained and has some basic manners. If they've never had a dog, they might be overwhelmed by a rambunctious puppy. I think it'll be fine. Portuguese Water Dogs aren't exactly common as it is so if they were trying to rescue it would have to be an adult anyway.
Tango, you missed that they have staff to do the dirty work, according to Dixiegirl. All the common sense you pointed out would only go to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections