U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 07:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,935,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
There was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion made on a talk show that speaks to your point. Maybe we should start to give people a proportional vote based on the amount of taxes paid. Then if I pay twice the income taxes you pay, I get double the number of votes.

Although suggested in humor, if we had that kind of a system, this country would be a far different place, and our elected officials would pay far more attention to how they tax us and spend our money. We have ignorant people who pay no taxes voting in elections, and they appear content to vote in people who will feed their habit for government "services."
I'd rep you but I need to spread it around first. Good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 07:34 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,935,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
Obama is not "raising" the income tax, he is simply letting the Bush tax cuts for the >$250,000 income group expire.
You'll be paying than you are now so yes, they are rising.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:30 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,881,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
Obama is not "raising" the income tax, he is simply letting the Bush tax cuts for the >$250,000 income group expire.
If you're boss lets the raise you got last year "expire" then you'd be making less, right? Same thing here. If you have to pay more taxes than last year, either by the action or inaction of Congress, then your taxes are being raised. Stop the double speak.

Obama and his collaborators in Congress are also proposing to add substantial energy taxes, so ANYONE who uses electricity, gasoline, heating oil, or natural gas WILL PAY MORE TAXES. How many poor people use electricity, gasonline, heating oil, and natural gas....hmmmm? He's lying when he says that taxes will only increase for people making more than 250K.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,445,713 times
Quote:
If you're boss lets the raise you got last year "expire" then you'd be making less, right? Same thing here. If you have to pay more taxes than last year, either by the action or inaction of Congress, then your taxes are being raised. Stop the double speak.

Obama and his collaborators in Congress are also proposing to add substantial energy taxes, so ANYONE who uses electricity, gasoline, heating oil, or natural gas WILL PAY MORE TAXES. How many poor people use electricity, gasonline, heating oil, and natural gas....hmmmm? He's lying when he says that taxes will only increase for people making more than 250K.
His tax increases will be overwhelmingly targetted at the top 5%...

The poor and middle class will get significant relief...

And taxing energy is an efficient (and necessary) means to encourage conservation.... at least until we have a new alternative fuel source - which Obama is going to act on (unlike every other president since the Oil Embargo of '73).

Old 02-28-2009, 08:50 PM

Right...now it's the government's job to pick winners and losers, to even out the inequalities inherent in capitalism, and to use taxes to "encourage" conservation or whatever it is that the Democrats want us to do or not to do.

I'm not against conservation, and I'm very green in my actions, but I have a hard time with government jacking up my taxes and the taxes of all Americans for "my own good." It's just more evidence that in the opinion of our government we need to be treated like little children and daddy Obama will slap our hands when necessary.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,170,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
This Thursday the Obama administration will announce the first legislative proposal to begin rolling back the Bush Tax Cuts for the rich, and to redistrubute the tax burden more towards the affluent - WHICH IS WHERE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The days of Dubya's evil smirk are over!!!

Obama will once again make the rich pay their fair share, and to reverse the massive distribution of wealth from the middle-class to the rich that occurred during the Bush administration..

This is change we can believe in!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/us...t.html?_r=1&hp
How does that help you bob? Greed and envy, not exactly the phylosophy of a uniter!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
His tax increases will be overwhelmingly targetted at the top 5%...
And they already paid 60% of the income taxes in 2006. How much more do you want? According to the US House of Reps in 2006:

"The top one percent of tax filers paid 36.89 percent of 2004 income taxes, while the top ten percent accounted for over two-thirds (68.19 percent) of these taxes. At least part of the increase in taxes paid by the higher percentiles may be related to higher capital gains realizations following the reduction of the capital gains tax rate in 2003."

Why don't the bottom 90% of taxpayers pay their fair share?

http://www.house.gov/jec/news/news2006/pr109-94.pdf (broken link)

Who Pays Income Taxes? See Who Pays What

Old 03-01-2009, 06:59 AM

8,495 posts, read 12,455,705 times
Quote:
And they already paid 60% of the income taxes in 2006. How much more do you want? According to the US House of Reps in 2006:

"The top one percent of tax filers paid 36.89 percent of 2004 income taxes, while the top ten percent accounted for over two-thirds (68.19 percent) of these taxes. At least part of the increase in taxes paid by the higher percentiles may be related to higher capital gains realizations following the reduction of the capital gains tax rate in 2003."

Why don't the bottom 90% of taxpayers pay their fair share?

http://www.house.gov/jec/news/news2006/pr109-94.pdf (broken link)

Who Pays Income Taxes? See Who Pays What
Looks like we're back to the "giveme" generation.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Looks like we're back to the "giveme" generation.
Yup. What irks me most, and makes me see RED, is this complete BULL-DOO-DOO propogated by the left wing propoganda machines about the "rich" don't pay their "fair share."

I'm just dying to know (and never seem to get an answer) just how much more they want and what would be "fair."

When you look at the statistics, the top 1% of wage earners (aka the super rich) pays around 40% of the income taxes, the top 5% of wage earners (aka the rich) pays around 60% of the taxes, and the top 10% of wage earners pays around 70% of all taxes.

The bottom 50% of wage earners in this country pays only around 3% of the income taxes. So I want to ask all our liberal buddies out there on this forum...folks who have been typing all kinds of stuff about the "rich" paying their "fair share" now that Obama is prez, where is the equity and fairness in these numbers? The Democrat end game is to get 50% +1 of wage earners to pay no taxes and become their electorate block that just continues to vote them in while the Democrats raid the productive folks in this country to keep their power.

It's sick, it's perverted, it's un-American, and I just cannot believe that we sit back and let it happen.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 AM

2,522 posts, read 3,924,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So, basically you are saying that people only give to charities because they get a tax deduction?

Says a lot about altruism in this country doesn't it?

Anyway, some details on impact on higher earners from the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/28/yo...8money.html?hp
Not at all, what I am saying is that individuals in the higher tax brackets will have less money to donate to charities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or