U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 PM

16,884 posts, read 13,032,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
This Thursday the Obama administration will announce the first legislative proposal to begin rolling back the Bush Tax Cuts for the rich, and to redistrubute the tax burden more towards the affluent - WHICH IS WHERE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The days of Dubya's evil smirk are over!!!

Obama will once again make the rich pay their fair share, and to reverse the massive distribution of wealth from the middle-class to the rich that occurred during the Bush administration..

This is change we can believe in!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/us...t.html?_r=1&hp

the rich already pay the majority of taxes in the USA. when is enough going to be enough for liberals?

also, democrats say only the people paying 250k and more pay that, but that shall not get enough money to pay for everything the democrat and republicans want to spend.

pretty soon that 250,000 will be 25,000 or even less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 04:11 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,880,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We Dwmocrats will not take the blame for a problem we did not create but we will take the credit for fixing it.
What problem is it that you say Democrats didn't "create" and what is it that Democrats are doing to "fix" it?

Old 03-12-2009, 04:17 PM

26,574 posts, read 17,303,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Didnt you just post another thread giving Obama credit for the economic recovery we had "in one day"? So your now admitting that the recovery, if indeed there will be one soon, is due to Bush?
This is by far, the most dizzying spin and twisted logic I have ever heard!

One thing that I have learned reading the post replies on this site by Bush supporters is that...you cannot learn common sense. You are either born with it or not and Bush Crime Family supporters were defintely not!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM

30,193 posts, read 16,624,133 times
Quote:
All the problems/issues you list in your tirade
This was no "tirade". Perhaps you need to consult a dictionary to determine the meaning of "tirade".

Quote:
...above ARE THE FAULT OF GEORGE W. BUSH (aka 'The Decider', 'Dubya')...

Dubya is infinitely more responsible for the current economic mess we are in than Obama.
Wrong again, and thanks for proving that you don't know what you are talking about.

Most agree that our current economic problems started with the "meltdown" (failure) of the mortgage/banking industry, and Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac. This was the cause of a piece of legislation that goes back to the Jimmy Carter administration, the CRA (Community Reinvestment Act). This act required banks to make loans in low income neighborhoods or risk losing their FDIC backing. Loans were granted with no income verification (no qual), and little or nothing down. Clinton expanded this in 1995, and more pressure was put on the banking industry to increase their loans in this area, because Democrats believed that everyone had a constitutional right to home ownership.

Republicans (George Bush included) warned many times that Fannie Mae was headed for trouble. Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Maxine Waters, Chuck Schumer, and others all denied any problem and accused the Republicans of creating a crisis where none existed, for political gain. The rest is history, and the Republicans were right.

Quote:
Economic trends do NOT build up or wind down in 45 days. Anyone who even remotely believes otherwise should really leave economic matters to the adults...
Nice try. Many experts have said that if this situation had been handled differently (i.e. cut the capital gains tax) we would already be seeing results.

The fact of the matter is that Obama has done nothing to help the situation, and everything to make it worse and prolong it (higher taxes on all Americans — despite his rhetoric). He has even publicly stated that he does not "pay any attention to the day to day gyrations in the stock market", an admission (though inadvertent) that he doesn't know much about the stock market, and that it responds directly to issues that affect the economy (such as Obama's stated policies and daily pronouncements).

When Obama says he's going to increase taxes on business (i.e. the capital gains, which also affects all investors — ordinary citizens) the markets, understandably, go negative. That is not what they want to hear. They begin to make plans to downsize and lay off employees, in anticipation of smaller profits, and less demand (more taxes, less disposable income to buy things).

Quote:
Anyone who is blaming Obama for the economic disaster that Dubya left us is nothing less than a neocon party ideologue and most likely a Limbaugh/Hannity daily listener...
Cliches. Please define "neocon". None of you leftists have as yet. You just throw that term out there for effect. What do you mean by it?

Right. Blame Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. Is that all you have?

See, I can use them too.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:00 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,445,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This was no "tirade". Perhaps you need to consult a dictionary to determine the meaning of "tirade".

Wrong again, and thanks for proving that you don't know what you are talking about.

Most agree that our current economic problems started with the "meltdown" (failure) of the mortgage/banking industry, and Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac. This was the cause of a piece of legislation that goes back to the Jimmy Carter administration, the CRA (Community Reinvestment Act). This act required banks to make loans in low income neighborhoods or risk losing their FDIC backing. Loans were granted with no income verification (no qual), and little or nothing down. Clinton expanded this in 1995, and more pressure was put on the banking industry to increase their loans in this area, because Democrats believed that everyone had a constitutional right to home ownership.

Republicans (George Bush included) warned many times that Fannie Mae was headed for trouble. Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Maxine Waters, Chuck Schumer, and others all denied any problem and accused the Republicans of creating a crisis where none existed, for political gain. The rest is history, and the Republicans were right.

Nice try. Many experts have said that if this situation had been handled differently (i.e. cut the capital gains tax) we would already be seeing results.

The fact of the matter is that Obama has done nothing to help the situation, and everything to make it worse and prolong it (higher taxes on all Americans — despite his rhetoric). He has even publicly stated that he does not "pay any attention to the day to day gyrations in the stock market", an admission (though inadvertent) that he doesn't know much about the stock market, and that it responds directly to issues that affect the economy (such as Obama's stated policies and daily pronouncements).

When Obama says he's going to increase taxes on business (i.e. the capital gains, which also affects all investors — ordinary citizens) the markets, understandably, go negative. That is not what they want to hear. They begin to make plans to downsize and lay off employees, in anticipation of smaller profits, and less demand (more taxes, less disposable income to buy things).

Cliches. Please define "neocon". None of you leftists have as yet. You just throw that term out there for effect. What do you mean by it?

Right. Blame Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. Is that all you have?

See, I can use them too.
You certainly are a hard-core shrill for the Republican party - and for Dubya...

I totally and completely disagree with every single thing you said...

I am totally happy that Obama is our President, and not that ignorant moron Dubya who orchestrated the economic mess we are in..

Spin history as much as you want - this economic disaster is Dubya's doing...

Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 AM

30,193 posts, read 16,624,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
You certainly are a hard-core shrill for the Republican party - and for Dubya...
I suspect you meant "shill"; but no, I'm not. I am just a conservative, an ordinary citizen, self employed, minding my own business, that wants America to remain as our founders designed her, "with liberty and justice for all", and a government that isn't constantly sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong. I believe that capitalism is the only system that delivers this freedom, and the only system that allows individuals to achieve their highest aspirations, and to become the very best they can be.

I do not believe that any President has a right to "fundamentally change" (Obama's words) our system. The Constitution grants no such power to the President. Indeed, he has sworn an oath to "protect and defend it", and should he not, he should be impeached.

Quote:
Well, since we are still free and entitled to express our opinions openly (at least for now), that is your right.

Quote:
I am totally happy that Obama is our President, and not that ignorant moron Dubya who orchestrated the economic mess we are in..
"Orchestrated"?

Well, that certainly shows intelligence and deep thinking. That is an insinuation that he did it on purpose, which is a totally ridiculous and asinine assertion. For what purpose? For what personal gain?

You probably are one of those who also believe that he "orchestrated" 9/11 (equally ridiculous and asinine).

You can deny reality all you want. You can live in your own reality. For practical reasons, it might be a good idea to consider the truth.

Quote:
History is what it is. The Carter administration did indeed create the CRA, and the purpose was in fact to force banks to make risky loans in low income (local) neighborhoods, for purposes of creating "affordable housing" for people who couldn't otherwise own their own home. Banks were required to make these loans, and were subject to investigation if they didn't. The Clintion administration expanded it in 1995, which, along with the mismanagement of Fannie Mae under Franklin Raines, led to the current situation.

There is no spin here. Facts are facts, and history is history.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:04 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,416,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by HubbleRules

"Orchestrated"?

Well, that certainly shows intelligence and deep thinking.
I find it highly amusing that the Bush bashers on the one hand call him all kinds of nasty names (" ignorant moron Dubya" for example), yet attribute to him the ability to engage in intelligence and deep thinking to plan and carry out highly complex strategy. Give it up, y'all. According to you he was far too simpleminded to do any of that.

nononsenseguy, you've used up all my reps (for now). Thanks for the reasoned posts.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:20 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,395,048 times
Quote:
This Thursday the Obama administration will announce the first legislative proposal to begin rolling back the Bush Tax Cuts for the rich, and to redistrubute the tax burden more towards the affluent - WHICH IS WHERE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The days of Dubya's evil smirk are over!!!

Obama will once again make the rich pay their fair share, and to reverse the massive distribution of wealth from the middle-class to the rich that occurred during the Bush administration..

This is change we can believe in!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/us...t.html?_r=1&hp
How does it feel to be a spiteful ignoramus?

Old 03-13-2009, 07:48 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,416,008 times
The middle class had better watch out. Their taxes will go up also. As others have pointed out, there's a lot that falls under that "tax umbrella". Now we hear of benefits being taxable - for example, Medicare benefits. People who are retired and get any kind of medical payments covered by Medicare will have to pay taxes on them. The government will consider such a payment (for doctor, labs, x-rays, hospitalization, prescriptions...all of that) as income and tax it. The same could apply to private insurance reimbursements/coverage. What other "benefits" do you enjoy? Even the employer's part of insurance premium paid on your behalf may be considered a benefit, and constitutes income to you (because you didn't have to pay it out of your pocket). Government already taxes social security and unemployment benefits.

Yep, the rich will finally be taxed, but don't get too gleeful about that because the rest of us are next in line.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,934,715 times
Quote:

^^ Definitely worthy!

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3121/obamacandle1.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or