Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Paranoid aren't we.
If you had a sense of humor it might somewhat offset your bitterness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:07 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
If you had a sense of humor it might somewhat offset your bitterness.
Oh I have a good sense of humor but I'm afraid that you aren't very funny.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,074,977 times
How is income redistribution ever fair?

Penalizing success only fosters a welfare mentality which leads to increased breakdown of society. This administration is all about making people totally dependent on government which, I sincerely hope, will be repudiated by the rational minded. Welfare and affirmative action do not help anyone in the long run. Neither will Comrade Obama's redistribution of income.

Dropping taxes on businesses, eliminating capital gains and death taxes, and possibly instituting a flat tax or consumption tax would be the better way to go.

We should be rewarding success and accomplishment instead of trying to take it away to give to someone who hasn't really earned it. That's every bit as bad as schools that don't believe in grades or sports teams that give trophies to both teams because "everyone is a winner".

We should be very very careful of the freedoms that we choose to surrender. The freedom to fail is still a freedom. If we surrender the freedom to fail we will no longer be free to succeed.

Last edited by ElizNJ; 02-25-2009 at 10:29 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
This is one of the main reasons why the democrat party disgusts me. I am not rich nor expect to ever be rich in my current career field but this whole attitude of sticking it to the rich is just childish immaturity. Grow up and work on improving YOUR lot in life. Stop focusing so much attention on who's paying what because (GASP!) the rich is already paying most of the taxes in this country. If you want your tax burden reduced, fight for a smaller, more efficient government!
good advice for the repubs who whine and moan about a tiny fraction of their taxes going to the needy ....

Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
This repub whining is hilarious....it's too bad that the 144,000 people who will have their bush tax gift taken back don't post here....they'd get quite a laugh at all their little defenders

Old 02-26-2009, 01:02 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,413,880 times
This is what most people don't understand. Obama is merely taking away the tax breaks that Bush gave to the wealthy (which did nothing to stimulate the economy btw). Hes not taking money and giving to someone else.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:43 AM

442 posts, read 790,497 times
What most people here do not understand is that under the Bush tax cuts the rich were already paying over 40%. "Tax cuts for the rich" is a line.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:01 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,459 times
When the government takes from the rich and gives to the poor, it does so through coercion. This is stealing, and thus an inherently immoral act. As a society we come together and agree that a certain amount of taxes must be levied in order to run a government at all, but this doesn't mean that we should tax disproportionately simple because we can. To be fair, we (as a society) could agree that everybody pays an equal and fixed amount of money to the government. We could also compromise by saying that everybody pay an equal and fixed percentage of their income (a flat tax), though this is less fair. Instead, we've taken an extremely dishonorable path of taxing wealthy a higher percentage, and then disingenuously called it 'fair'. It's not fair and it's not just, it's simply tyranny of the majority. Lord knows the majority of folks wouldn't accept the bureaucracy and inefficiency of government if they actually footed the bill. But I guess that's just not 'the way' in a modern democratic country. Who cares if we spend money (as long as it's not our own)?

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" eh comrade? What ever happened to having morals...

Old 02-26-2009, 03:11 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Oh - I feel so sorry for you!!!! Booo hoooo!!!

I busted my butt for years at college and work and have done well, and I fully support Obama's proposal... it's the fair thing to do.
....Yet you are jealous of those who are much more successful. How very democrat of you

Soooo... how long DID it take you to get that associates from smallville community college???

Old 02-26-2009, 03:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
The more you rely on the rich to carry everyone else, the more exaggerated revenue booms and shortfalls become. You'd think the last thing we'd want to do in a time like this is exaggerate the shortfalls even more. Increasing taxes on the most productive citizens while we're on the cusp of a depression is just stupid, to say nothing of the boneheaded concept of not merely taxing productivity, but taxing it progressively.

We've already set up an income tax system whereby nearly half pay nothing while the other half pay nearly everything. Having almost half our population have no personal stake in income tax policy is not a healthy way to conduct a democracy. Keep this up and eventually we'll run out of other people's money to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections