Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:32 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
mr. bob, you are not being realistic. obama has appointed the same wall street insiders who did not regulate the SEC previously. these are the same people who allowed madoff to get away with his stuff. by the way, why isn't madoff in jail?!!! why aren't the other hedge funds busted yet?
I understand your point - I'm a little concerned about some of the members of his team also...

But Obama is setting direction now - and I'm hearing more and more of his economic team coming up with recommendations on a regulated market for derivatives, increased margin trade requirements, more stringent reserve requirements for banks and hedge funds...

I think in a few weeks we'll both be pleasantly surprised when his team reports on their recommendations..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 09:34 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
How do you feel about Franklin Raines and the other democrats who played very key roles?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7651246-post16.html
I would like to have some of that loot that Raines and Obama made on that crisis

Old 02-27-2009, 09:40 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I understand your point - I'm a little concerned about some of the members of his team also...

But Obama is setting direction now - and I'm hearing more and more of his economic team coming up with recommendations on a regulated market for derivatives, increased margin trade requirements, more stringent reserve requirements for banks and hedge funds...

I think in a few weeks we'll both be pleasantly surprised when his team reports on their recommendations..
What I am hearing someone Mr. O appointed to his economic team said he didn't understand his own taxes? I'm a little more than concerned. Makes me feel like some good recommendations are coming down the pike soon. I'll anxioulsy await Team Obamas recommendations.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
I would like to see Obama get Gov spending under control. 900 mill to repair what Israel did? We are broke... How can we afford to rebuild Gaza when our own house is collapsing.
The stim plan is more of a grab bag for special interset spending than anything else.
In short if our gov doesn't get it under control we are lost.. Less focus on whose fault and more focus on what the fix is, is what the mentality should be. The fix is shrink the gov, cut spending and quit wasteing.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I would like to see Obama get Gov spending under control. 900 mill to repair what Israel did? We are broke... How can we afford to rebuild Gaza when our own house is collapsing.
The stim plan is more of a grab bag for special interset spending than anything else.
In short if our gov doesn't get it under control we are lost.. Less focus on whose fault and more focus on what the fix is, is what the mentality should be. The fix is shrink the gov, cut spending and quit wasteing.
Too late....

Old 02-27-2009, 11:13 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post

When has Government ever been involved in anything and didn't make a mess if it? Name one time.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
When has Government ever been involved in anything and didn't make a mess if it? Name one time.
For agreement to that it would require the removal of emotions, greed, pride and politics. No chance in he!!.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:01 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post

Tennessee Valley Authority
Hoover Dam construction
World War 2
Interstate highway system
Manhattan Project

You win tonight's know-nothing award!

Old 02-28-2009, 01:18 AM

Lol. no you take that with pride.

TVA:

One such considered above criticism, sacred as motherhood, is TVA. This program started as a flood control project; the Tennessee Valley was periodically ravaged by destructive floods. The Army Engineers set out to solve this problem. They said that it was possible that once in 500 years there could be a total capacity flood that would inundate some 600,000 acres (2,400 km2). Well, the engineers fixed that. They made a permanent lake which inundated a million acres (4,000 km²). This solved the problem of floods, but the annual interest on the TVA debt is five times as great as the annual flood damage they sought to correct. Of course, you will point out that TVA gets electric power from the impounded waters, and this is true, but today 85 percent of TVA's electricity is generated in coal burning steam plants. Now perhaps you'll charge that I'm overlooking the navigable waterway that was created, providing cheap barge traffic, but the bulk of the freight barged on that waterway is coal being shipped to the TVA steam plants, and the cost of maintaining that channel each year would pay for shipping all of the coal by rail, and there would be money left over.

WWII: Roosevelt and the American people did everything possible to avoid that. One of the main reasons we ignore a policy of appeasement today.

Interstate highway systems: Maybe you missed all the money needed in the current stimulus to repair tat system.

Manhattan project: Yeah how's nuclear proliferation working out? Rosenberg's killed this one.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:27 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Lol. no you take that with pride.

TVA:

One such considered above criticism, sacred as motherhood, is TVA. This program started as a flood control project; the Tennessee Valley was periodically ravaged by destructive floods. The Army Engineers set out to solve this problem. They said that it was possible that once in 500 years there could be a total capacity flood that would inundate some 600,000 acres (2,400 km2). Well, the engineers fixed that. They made a permanent lake which inundated a million acres (4,000 km²). This solved the problem of floods, but the annual interest on the TVA debt is five times as great as the annual flood damage they sought to correct. Of course, you will point out that TVA gets electric power from the impounded waters, and this is true, but today 85 percent of TVA's electricity is generated in coal burning steam plants. Now perhaps you'll charge that I'm overlooking the navigable waterway that was created, providing cheap barge traffic, but the bulk of the freight barged on that waterway is coal being shipped to the TVA steam plants, and the cost of maintaining that channel each year would pay for shipping all of the coal by rail, and there would be money left over.

I see that you've quoted Ronald Reagan, and a fine economist he was!
Tennessee Valley Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections