Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:35 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,468,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I completely agree with Idahogie ....

Obama is an extremely intelligent and pragmatic man.

Obama would have listened to the pre-9/11 warnings coming in throughout the summer from other countries, and he would have tried to prevent the attack before it ever happened.

He would have also been completely honest with the public, and not try to cover it up the way Bush did.

You can tell these thing simply by the way he is handling the current economic crisis. He is being completely open and honest about everything. His Recovery.gov website is a perfect example of this.
He would have tried - but to prevent the attack he would have had to have fired Louis Freeh and cleaned up the FBI. The FBI bungled more than any other part of government in being negligent in preventing the 9/11 attacks.

Also, most likely OBL's body would have been found already (or perhaps he would have been captured alive) and the Taliban and Al Qaeda thoroughly defeated in Afghanistan without the massive waste of resources - human and financial - diverted to Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
He was far from unbiased and no I do not think any of those people said any such thing about Bush, the President of the United States at the time and their boss. It is very naive to think that.
Have you READ that book? From how you're talking I doubt it.

At the time it came out the accusations of bias were coming from liberals who thought it was a glorification of Bush.

Why do you not think those people said it? Every interview in the book is documented.

I firmly suggest you read "Bush At War" before you criticize it.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:54 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,120,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
I hope we do not ever find out.
the thought scares the hell out of me.

Me too!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,120,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Have you READ that book? From how you're talking I doubt it.

At the time it came out the accusations of bias were coming from liberals who thought it was a glorification of Bush.

Why do you not think those people said it? Every interview in the book is documented.

I firmly suggest you read "Bush At War" before you criticize it.

I have read it and I don't see how anyone can think it is a glorification of Bush. I never even understood why he agreed to it.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:53 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,069,389 times
Quote:
He would have immediately sent troops to Afghanistan and not squandered valuable resources and money on planning war with Iraq, as Bush was doing in the wake of 9/11. In fact, Colin Powell and Tony Blair had to talk Bush out of invading Iraq in the wake of 9/11 and had to convince him to attack the Taliban/AQ instead of Saddam. Read Bob Woodward's "Bush At War"
I agree except that the war in Iraq was planned even before Bozo Bush was elected.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I have read it and I don't see how anyone can think it is a glorification of Bush. I never even understood why he agreed to it.
So you agree it's unbiased? You realize that we're not talking about Michael Moore or Al Franken here.

As to why he agreed to it, forgetting that Woodward knew Bush and the other politicians he interviewed in the book from his many years as a political journalist?

Let me ask you this since you seem to be so certain that it was unbiased: do you personally know George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Tony Blair, John ********, Paul Wolfowitz, or ANYONE who played a major role in making policy related to the War on Terror? If not, than how do you know there were any distortions? Woodward had personal access to all the personages involved and the Bush campaign in 2004 actually put "Bush At War" and "Plan of Attack" on its recommended reading list.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,293,308 times
Default Wish we were that lucky.

Ignoring Republicans who can only chant "no taxes", while picking their noses, and chewing their fingernails, he would've quietly devised a far more effective strategy that would've avoided war, saved hundreds of billions of dollars, and spared thousands of lives. Bin Laden would've been captured within a month.

He would've asked the question "why? why did they do this?" Then effectively resolved the matter without war or conflict.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:20 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,819,059 times
Quote:
Have you READ that book?
Speaking of books...

YouTube - Bush hears news of 9/11

I doubt any other person in the world would have reacted the way that W did to the news of 9/11. Here is the president who was advised months earlier that this could happen being informed of it being carried out and he can't excuse himself from a group of grade schoolers.

Talk about having to clean your pants.

The military response would have happened no matter who was in charge, the failure to capture OBL rests squarely on the shoulders of one man. If another attack does occur would it be due to that fundamental problem of the previous administration?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:45 AM

68,277 posts, read 54,010,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
This is a "What if" scenario for everyone. How do you think Obama would have reacted if 9-11 happened on his watch?

I think he would've paid attention to the warnings rather than following a personal agenda and averted 9/11.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:58 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,603,790 times
I would like to think that ANYONE other than Bush (McCain, Gore, Obama, whatever) would have taken those warnings seriously on Day 1 and PREVENTED the attack. As someone who saw it first hand - I have all the faith that Obama would take any warning very seriously and find an appropriate way to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections