U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM

477 posts, read 583,526 times

Advertisements

Fri, Feb 27 01:15 PM

London, February 27 (ANI): Acting legend Clint Eastwood , 79, apparently believes that political correctness has rendered modern society humourless, for he accuses younger generations of spending too much time trying to avoid being offensive.

The Dirty Harry star insists that he should be able to tell harmless jokes about nationality without fearing that people may brand him "a racist".

"People have lost their sense of humour. In former times we constantly made jokes about different races. You can only tell them today with one hand over your mouth or you will be insulted as a racist," the Daily Express quoted him as saying.

"I find that ridiculous. In those earlier days every friendly clique had a 'Sam the Jew' or 'Jose the Mexican' - but we didn't think anything of it or have a racist thought. It was just normal that we made jokes based on our nationality or ethnicity. That was never a problem. I don't want to be politically correct.

We're all spending too much time and energy trying to be politically correct about everything," he added. (ANI)

http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20090227/906/ten-eastwood-thinks-political-correctnes.html
Attached Thumbnails
Clint Eastwood for President!-torino.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 04:18 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,364,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post

London, February 27 (ANI): Acting legend Clint Eastwood , 79, apparently believes that political correctness has rendered modern society humourless, for he accuses younger generations of spending too much time trying to avoid being offensive.

The Dirty Harry star insists that he should be able to tell harmless jokes about nationality without fearing that people may brand him "a racist".

"People have lost their sense of humour. In former times we constantly made jokes about different races. You can only tell them today with one hand over your mouth or you will be insulted as a racist," the Daily Express quoted him as saying.

"I find that ridiculous. In those earlier days every friendly clique had a 'Sam the Jew' or 'Jose the Mexican' - but we didn't think anything of it or have a racist thought. It was just normal that we made jokes based on our nationality or ethnicity. That was never a problem. I don't want to be politically correct.

We're all spending too much time and energy trying to be politically correct about everything," he added. (ANI)

http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20090227/906/ten-eastwood-thinks-political-correctnes.html

One of my favorite movies of all time is "The Good the Bad and the Ugly'....but I sure don't like old man Clint's politics.

Of course he's denying racism, what else can he do...he's a Republican..a party full of racists.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:55 PM

5,027 posts, read 5,524,981 times
People blame "political correctness" when they don't know how to be funny without insulting other races, sexes, religions, or orientations.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:05 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,002,442 times
Uhmmm. Tax cuts and an end to political correctness. I guess that's marginally better than what the Republicans have been able to propose so far.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:36 PM

18,052 posts, read 10,077,749 times
We have already had our fill of drugstore cowboys and bad actors in the White House, thank you.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:29 AM

17,447 posts, read 23,872,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
One of my favorite movies of all time is "The Good the Bad and the Ugly'....but I sure don't like old man Clint's politics.

Of course he's denying racism, what else can he do...he's a Republican..a party full of racists.
Eastwood's actually an independent. He used to be a Republican and votes for some GOP candidates but the Religious Right alienated him from the GOP. If the GOP hadn't kissed ass to the South, they'd still have more Republicans like him. I may not agree with all his views but don't have a problem with that type of Republican or ex-Republican

Old 02-28-2009, 02:11 AM

2,150 posts, read 2,304,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post

I agree 100%

Political Correctness is a mental straight-jacket that we live with.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:14 AM

1,992 posts, read 3,728,103 times
Sometimes, I , like Eastwood, get a little concerned that we are too politically correct. Still, in our diverse society, there is no place for racial slurs and racial jokes--even though I agree that some of them are humorous. Let's stick with blond jokes....Are they politically correct?

I did not read the whole article, and I did not see an indication that Eastwood is interested in running for president. I don't want to draft an 80+ year old to run for the White House. We have had one president who became senile during his term. Let's not do that again.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:48 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,169,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
We have had one president who became senile during his term. Let's not do that again.
Who?

Old 03-01-2009, 12:31 AM

442 posts, read 716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Who?
Alan Greenspan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or