U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:34 PM

19,868 posts, read 22,747,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansculotte View Post
I see nothing "derogatory" nor stereotyping in either of the two comments.
OF COURSE you don't - THAT'S my point. When the RED folks were derogatory or stereotyping (in this case of Obama supporters) then SOMEHOW it's NOT derogatory or stereotyping - at least not to YOU.

I also notice you left off #22.

Note too that these were not the ONLY such comments posted by the Red folks - just the ones I find right off in the first few pages.

Quote:
My memory is not so short as to have forgotten eight years of "Chimpy McHalliburton Bush-hitler."
Nor the Democrats all the years of endless investigations looking into EVERYTHING (costing $40 MILLION in taxpayer dollars) about Clinton.

Quote:
By the way, editing is selective by nature. I tried to be fair.
Considering that you didn't include ANY derogatory statements by the Red folks I would say you failed.

Quote:
Would you agree with the preponderance of evidence being on my side (at least on this thread)?
On THIS particular thread - probably. On the CD forum overall - not a chance.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 PM

485 posts, read 1,344,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
LOL

You got a lot of nerve - or a VERY SHORT MEMORY.

This coming after MONTHS of listening to "Nobama", "Obama associates with terrorists", "Obama is a commie", "Obama is not even an American", "Obama supporters think Obama is the Messiah" etc, etc, etc.

I also notice you left out any derogatory comments posted by the "Red" folks - such as:
sweetpotater58 (#15) -

"He is not perfect, he will make mistakes, but if you believe everything you read in polls, especially those conducted by an organization as biased as the New York Times then you can know for yourself, how the Germans were easily mislead by Hitler and his Joseph Goebel's propaganda new apparatus in World War 2. Now, I am not saying Obama is Hitler or anything, only commenting on your gullibility to believing his backers poll results."

Dixiegirl (#19) -

"Gullibility is what got him elected, so of course they believe it."

Dixiegirl (#22) -

"The polls are wrong just about as often as they are right. The same ones had Bush losing both elections that he won, right up to elelction day. There is no way that out of the 46% of people who did not vote for Obama, now magically half of them think he is swell and doing great. That is not even logical. You should even know better."

Etc, etc, etc.

A little selective editing on YOUR part?

Ken
The red statements appear to be pretty venomous in my view and they are all yours. Just practice this -SMILE -as you type and it will come out a lot better!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post

The red statements appear to be pretty venomous in my view
OF COURSE they do - the key words of course being "in MY view".

And I smile all the time, thank you very much.

Ken

Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 PM

485 posts, read 1,344,645 times
Lord Balfour
Statements like "You got a lot of nerve" and statements interspersed with ALL CAPS which in the common vernacular signifies SHOUTING would be considered venomous in anyone's view.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
Lord Balfour
Statements like "You got a lot of nerve" and statements interspersed with ALL CAPS which in the common vernacular signifies SHOUTING would be considered venomous in anyone's view.
The CAPS are for emphasis.
If you are offended, I can't help it.

Ken

Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 PM

13 posts, read 14,214 times
Default LordBalfor

Quote:
OF COURSE you don't - THAT'S my point. When the RED folks were derogatory or stereotyping (in this case of Obama supporters) then SOMEHOW it's NOT derogatory or stereotyping - at least not to YOU.

I also notice you left off #22.
Okay... here's #22: The polls are wrong just about as often as they are right. The same ones had Bush losing both elections that he won, right up to elelction day. There is no way that out of the 46% of people who did not vote for Obama, now magically half of them think he is swell and doing great. That is not even logical. You should even know better.

Please, point out any stereotyping by the poster. I believe the post was directed to you (although that should be of no matter). You're really reaching at this point (as the closing statement of this post I'm replying to makes clear). "On THIS particular thread - probably."

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your application of stereotyping here. When a poster writes, I always try to remove him/her from a group before responding. I find it works much better for me, since I also try to write from an identical platform. We can't help but exhibit traits, but we can try to raise ourselves above partisan anonyminity, don't you agree? I hope I don't fall into the catagory of one who stereotypes.

Quote:
Note too that these were not the ONLY such comments posted by the Red folks - just the ones I find right off in the first few pages.
Then, by all means do your damnest. Rather than accuse me of ineptness perhaps you should prove it.

Quote:
Nor the Democrats all the years of endless investigations looking into EVERYTHING (costing $40 MILLION in taxpayer dollars) about Clinton.
I don't believe you'll find me a member of that particular group either.

Quote:
Considering that you didn't include ANY derogatory statements by the Red folks I would say you failed.
My apologies. I believe we were referring to accusations of stereotyping ie. wingnut, moron, racist. IMHO derogatory is a different animal altogether. Having been a long time member of several forums for several years now, I assure you my "nerve" cuts both directions.

Quote:
On THIS particular thread - probably. On the CD forum overall - not a chance.

Ken
I've not had the chance to peruse the entire forum at this point. But, I have to tell you... what I have read on other threads so far, doesn't really add too much ballast to your argument. Again, simply my opinion and, I might add, as honest as I'm able to make it at this point.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM

sansculotte -

Considering that you ALREADY stated that you didn't find the examples I posted derogatory (which is what I was referring to) there's not a lot sense in me posting additional ones is there?

Clearly, since these derogatory statements were posted by Red folks you won't find them so derogatory.

Personally I really don't care. Just don't get on your high horse claiming some kind civil superiority on the part of the Red folks and expect ME to buy into it - not after all the BS that's gone on on this board in last year or so.

This began as claim by Dixiegirl7 that somehow HER views represented America and that the polls showing Obama was very popular were somehow wrong - and devolved into a p*ssing contest of "who is the most rude" - and which point this thread became pointless, so I'm DONE.

So, you can try and pick a fight all you want.
I'm done biting at your lure.

Ken

Old 03-04-2009, 02:33 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,850,756 times
Quote:
Sure you did - right here:

The issue at hand was that the polls showed Obama at 60% approval (or more). YOU made a statement that you didn't believe those polls because that percentage was HIGHER than the percentage of people that voted for him originally (post #22).

When it was explained to you that people "change their minds" you made the post I inserted above - specifically commenting that no one YOU know changed their mind about Obama (see the part I bolded) at least not by improving their opinion of him - and thereby implying again that the polls must then be wrong - as if YOUR group of friends is somehow indicative of America as whole.

Got it?

Ken

And your assumption is that I only have friends in the south, which is extremely narrow minded at best. I know and discuss politics with people all over the country and even in other countries...can you believe that? Southerners know and will talk to other people, some of us have family and friends not in the south. Some of them even wear shoes...lol.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:57 PM

13 posts, read 14,214 times
Default LordBalfor

Quote:
sansculotte -

Considering that you ALREADY stated that you didn't find the examples I posted derogatory (which is what I was referring to) there's not a lot sense in me posting additional ones is there?

Clearly, since these derogatory statements were posted by Red folks you won't find them so derogatory.

Personally I really don't care. Just don't get on your high horse claiming some kind civil superiority on the part of the Red folks and expect ME to buy into it - not after all the BS that's gone on on this board in last year or so.
"Personally" is the only way I care. I've gotten on no "high horse" on the part of anyone. The bias is fairly obvious, and if my being "civilly superior" consists of pointing out the rudeness of stereotyping those who feel President Obama is doing a less than perfect to miserable, job as wingnuts, morons, and racists then so be it. I'm not concerned with all the BS which has gone on on this board in the last year. I tried to express that point earlier.

Quote:
This began as claim by Dixiegirl7 that somehow HER views represented America and that the polls showing Obama was very popular were somehow wrong - and devolved into a p*ssing contest of "who is the most rude" - and which point this thread became pointless, so I'm DONE.
Actually, this thread began with this post: And had nothing to do with polls. This is another post I left off my list, although it goes as far if not farther in stereotyping. Why didn't you mention this one. Being the first, it wasn't easily missed.

Post #1: I can't help but laugh a bit when I see all the die-hard Obama haters posting their vitriol on this and the Politics forum - and think of what a contrast those postings are to the general mood of the American public...

Over 60% of Americans approve of the job Obama is doing...

An even larger majority agree that he is trying to fix the problems he inherited and support his Stimulus Package.

Just not too many on this forum, that's all..

It helps put things into perspective when you realize that this forum in no way, shape or form represents the nation's support of Obama and wishes for him to succeed.

Quote:
So, you can try and pick a fight all you want.
I'm done biting at your lure.

Ken
Later then,

Old 03-04-2009, 03:12 PM

22,799 posts, read 16,218,712 times
The latest from WSJ/NBC News polling:

"Obama’s high marks
In the survey, 68 percent have a favorable opinion of the president, including 47 percent whose opinion is "very positive" — both all-time highs for Obama in the poll. Moreover, 67 percent say they feel more hopeful about his leadership and 60 percent approve of his job in the White House. Yet the percentage of Americans who are confident that Obama has the right goals and policies for the country — 54 percent — is slightly smaller, suggesting that the president is more popular than his policies are. An example: 57 percent tend to support the stimulus, compared with 34 percent who tend to oppose it."

Poll: Obama's rating at all-time high - White House- msnbc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or