Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:49 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
Uhhhhh .... Have you ever been to the south or do you just buy into the stereotypes?
Yes I have - though admittedly not extensively - and YES I AM aware the south has changed considerably - though you wouldn't know it from some of the southern posters on THIS board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
I noticed that you didn't answer my post earlier, I guess because it doesn't fit with your stereotype.
And which post was that?

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-03-2009 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Poll: Obama's rating at all-time high - White House- msnbc.com

Old 03-03-2009, 08:34 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Yeah, and in spite of the tough economy, Congressional approval ratings are much better now than before the election (though Congressional approval ratings are ALWAYS relatively low) with negative ratings that were in 70's before the elections, now at around 55 and positive ratings that were in the teens before the elections, now in the low 30's. It seems that getting rid of more Republicans resulted in a bounce for Congress.

Who knows, maybe if we get rid of enough of them, Congress can get a rating above 50% (and that almost NEVER happens)

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Congressional Job Approval

Ken

Old 03-03-2009, 08:55 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Sure, but it's the ONE SECTION of the country where they are still overwhelmingly GOP. It's also the area of the country that was last to grant Blacks equal rights and has longgggggg had a tradition of oppressing Blacks. When you combine those two things it's no surprise that few people that YOU know support Obama.

That's doesn't mean the REST OF AMERICAN feels as YOU do.

Ken

It has nothing to do with being in the south or race. I know far more bigoted people from other areas of the country than in the south. Just being on this site tells me that. The rudest, most judgemental people on here are not from the south. It is bigoted to judge people just by saying they must believe this way or that just because they are from the south. I have friends and family all over this country and abroad that have similar values, it is not geographical. My SIL's family are all in Long Island and New Jersey and they are conservative Republicans and most of her neighbors growing up there were aslo. I will say that more people in the southeast still retain morals and certain values, but there are people all over with the same views...it is not limited to the south.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It has nothing to do with being in the south or race. I know far more bigoted people from other areas of the country than in the south. Just being on this site tells me that. The rudest, most judgemental people on here are not from the south. It is bigoted to judge people just by saying they must believe this way or that just because they are from the south. I have friends and family all over this country and abroad that have similar values, it is not geographical. My SIL's family are all in Long Island and New Jersey and they are conservative Republicans and most of her neighbors growing up there were aslo. I will say that more people in the southeast still retain morals and certain values, but there are people all over with the same views...it is not limited to the south.
I've bolded part I like.
That same thought should extend to political parties/leanings as well.

Generalizations (conservatives are ____, democrats are ____) are silly and always incorrect in my experience.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 PM

485 posts, read 1,454,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yes I have - though admittedly not extensively - and YES I AM aware the south has changed considerably - though you wouldn't know it from some of the southern posters on THIS board.

And which post was that?

Ken

I actually voted for Obama in my states primary, but upon closer examination I realized that he was just way to inexperienced. I must add that I have yet to be impressed with his job performance thus far but it has nothing to do with his race.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
I've bolded part I like.
That same thought should extend to political parties/leanings as well.

Generalizations (conservatives are ____, democrats are ____) are silly and always incorrect in my experience.

I agree to an extent with that.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I agree to an extent with that.
There are some here that like to say:

XXXX think that YYYY
with the author not actually representing or being a member of group XXXX

"Conservatives are racists"
This is an example - I'm not a conservative, but my statement would attempt to lead a reader to think I know 'secret-info' about conservatives, while not belonging to that group.

Its not the best example, but things like that happen on these forums quite often. Not all conservatives think "drill baby, drill!" is the solution. Not even all republicans believe that.

I cannot imagine a generalization that always works.
"Democrats are good people"
not always

What about:
"Democrats think they are good people"

Nope, even that doesn't work 100% of the time - some people recognize their own failings.

I rambled, but I'm pleased that we have a bit of common ground.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
There are some here that like to say:

XXXX think that YYYY
with the author not actually representing or being a member of group XXXX

"Conservatives are racists"
This is an example - I'm not a conservative, but my statement would attempt to lead a reader to think I know 'secret-info' about conservatives, while not belonging to that group.

Its not the best example, but things like that happen on these forums quite often. Not all conservatives think "drill baby, drill!" is the solution. Not even all republicans believe that.

I cannot imagine a generalization that always works.
"Democrats are good people"
not always

What about:
"Democrats think they are good people"

Nope, even that doesn't work 100% of the time - some people recognize their own failings.

I rambled, but I'm pleased that we have a bit of common ground.

You are refreshingly nice and open-minded.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
You are refreshingly nice and open-minded.
All-time, favorite post.
There is no way for me to avoid repping you, you sneaky girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections