U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 02:24 PM

19,868 posts, read 22,722,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
No where did I say, or would I EVER say, that I thought it was "nice" that American soldiers have died in the Iraq war.

You clearly can not be civilized. This conversation is over.
I NEVER said you thought it was "nice" that American soldiers have died in the Iraq war". What you said was (and I quote you "Isn't it nice to be able to say "Saddam WAS" instead of "Saddam IS" - I think so.")

The problem is, there was a COST associated with you being able to say "Isn't it nice to be able to say "Saddam WAS" instead of "Saddam IS"" - and that COST was American lives - LOTS OF AMERICAN LIVES.

And that's a FACT.

Ken
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 04:51 PM

2,968 posts, read 2,624,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
NO, some of you will never understand the horrible mistake you have made putting Obama in office. You might before it is said and done.
We shall see....

Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,760,718 times
Poll: Obama Gets Strong Support Despite Crisis - WSJ.com
He is more popular than ever, Americans are hopeful about his leadership, and opposition Republicans are getting drubbed in public opinion, the new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll suggests.

The "right direction" number is up from 26% in mid-January, before Mr. Obama took office, and up from 12% just before the election -- and the highest since January 2004.

The above is from the link
Hmmmmm this makes many of the posts in CD laughable.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 PM

19,868 posts, read 22,722,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Poll: Obama Gets Strong Support Despite Crisis - WSJ.com
He is more popular than ever, Americans are hopeful about his leadership, and opposition Republicans are getting drubbed in public opinion, the new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll suggests.

The "right direction" number is up from 26% in mid-January, before Mr. Obama took office, and up from 12% just before the election -- and the highest since January 2004.

The above is from the link
Hmmmmm this makes many of the posts in CD laughable.
Yeah so far so good.
Most Americans recognize that Obama inherited an ENORMOUS MESS and will give him some time to try and correct things. That DOESN'T mean they are not nervous (as would be expected during such difficult times) - or that there is not risk associated with Obama's agenda. The fact is, there is risk associated with ANY course of action - including the course of INACTION proposed by some on this board.

I expect this year will be pretty horrible as the downward movement of the economy this past year picked up more and more steam as the year progressed - so it is NOT going to turn around overnight. There is just far too much momentum for that.

Ken

Old 03-03-2009, 08:10 PM

540 posts, read 1,086,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

I expect this year will be pretty horrible as the downward movement of the economy this past year picked up more and more steam as the year progressed - so it is NOT going to turn around overnight. There is just far too much momentum for that.

Ken
Agreed. But watch. Obama's budget figures, as horrendous as they are, are not going to be nearly as bad as reality--which is going to be far, far worse. There's no way our nation is going to have 3.2% growth next year, but that's what his budget is based upon. He's predicting 4.5% growth in 2011--the same time when over $1-trillion dollars in bad home loans is set to recast.

As for the horrendous mess Obama inherited, he very well could have made things far, far worse. Spending that kind of money? Raising taxes on businesses? Messing with healthcare? Implementing new entitlement programs? We're already dying here with social security.

I'm predicting this is going to be one of the biggest boondoggles in US history. Unfortunately, all odds say that as a 20-something, I'm going to be saddled with the burden that this nonsensical budget is yolking around all of us.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,719,329 times
I personally will always remember that speech where Bush said "Mission Accomplished". I don't know how he got through it with a straight face.

As far as Saddam is concerned, since he had nothing to do with 911, I don't feel it was as important to do away with him as it was to catch, draw and quarter the men who were responsible such as Osama Bin Laden.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,760,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
Agreed. But watch. Obama's budget figures, as horrendous as they are, are not going to be nearly as bad as reality--which is going to be far, far worse. There's no way our nation is going to have 3.2% growth next year, but that's what his budget is based upon. He's predicting 4.5% growth in 2011--the same time when over $1-trillion dollars in bad home loans is set to recast.

As for the horrendous mess Obama inherited, he very well could have made things far, far worse. Spending that kind of money? Raising taxes on businesses? Messing with healthcare? Implementing new entitlement programs? We're already dying here with social security.

I'm predicting this is going to be one of the biggest boondoggles in US history. Unfortunately, all odds say that as a 20-something, I'm going to be saddled with the burden that this nonsensical budget is yolking around all of us.
You may want to read the following discussion of the unit root hypothesis and the CEA assumptions as applied to see how the 3.2% growth rate was determined and then argue with that.
Greg Mankiw's Blog: Team Obama on the Unit Root Hypothesis
Economic Projections and the Budget Outlook

You might want to brush up on your economics before taking Paul Volker on. Not all would say it will be as high as 3.2% so you might want to study their conclusions for supportive data. One suggestion might be Blue Chip consensus which is 2.4% and is a compilation of various private forecast.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,844,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We all know he did a lot of damage to us in a lot of ways however Obama is working hard to minimize the long term consequences. Have heart better days are coming and hopefully we will all soon forget the Dud.

I think we will end up remembering GW Bush with admiration after the next four years are over. We are in for some hard times indeed.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,315,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I think we will end up remembering GW Bush with admiration after the next four years are over. We are in for some hard times indeed.

Where can I get of some of what you are smoking?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 AM

8,758 posts, read 8,844,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Where can I get of some of what you are smoking?

To go with your Koolaid...lol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or