U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 PM

22,745 posts, read 16,193,724 times

Advertisements

And the winner is:

Mississippi!

Because, you know, they send sooooo much to the Federal government in taxes.

"Mississippi Republican Sen. Thad Cochran led his colleagues by raking in more than $470 million in 204 earmarks. Mississippi's junior Republican, Roger Wicker, pulled in more than $390 million."

Red States Gobble Up Omnibus Earmarks

The amounts are quite remarkable, on both sides of the aisle,though I do feel compelled to point out that two of three top individual 'earners' are Republicans - Sen. Richard (let the Detroit car-makers die) Shelby and Sen. Kit Bond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 07:51 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,023,420 times
But Obama, Obama, but... but... but...

Old 03-03-2009, 03:58 AM

34,990 posts, read 34,689,444 times
"Of the top ten earmarking senators, only Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.; $77 million solo; $235 combined), represents a large state and only three of the top ten are blue states. In the top 20, only six blue states are represented."

Do as I say, not as I do.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,247,292 times
I can only surmise that the Red states are on Federal welfare and, as conservative true believrs, hate them selves for being national beggars.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,989,379 times
It really doesn't matter because Obama is going to get rid of all the earmarks anyway, right?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 AM

4,089 posts, read 4,711,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I can only surmise that the Red states are on Federal welfare and, as conservative true believrs, hate them selves for being national beggars.
New Mexico is a huge benefactor of federal tax dollars. I hate myself 28 days out the month. The other two days I am cashing my checks. Thanks America! Keep it coming!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:05 AM

5,348 posts, read 10,824,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It really doesn't matter because Obama is going to get rid of all the earmarks anyway, right?
Right, on the next bill. After all, this is leftover business from the last administration. Just like Rahm Emmanuel said yesterday that the adminstration inherited the economy and the subsequent 4 trillion dollar debt. That 4 trillion would be the spendulus plus the new, proposed budget. I wonder when the adminstration will actually take ownership of something? We'll be in the same craphole 4 years from now and Obama will still be blaming the past, taxing you up your buttcrack, and threatening people with responsibility, accountability, and no earmarks.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,379,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Right, on the next bill. After all, this is leftover business from the last administration. Just like Rahm Emmanuel said yesterday that the adminstration inherited the economy and the subsequent 4 trillion dollar debt. That 4 trillion would be the spendulus plus the new, proposed budget. I wonder when the adminstration will actually take ownership of something? We'll be in the same craphole 4 years from now and Obama will still be blaming the past, taxing you up your buttcrack, and threatening people with responsibility, accountability, and no earmarks.

You forgot to add "crisis" to the list of threats.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 AM

5,027 posts, read 5,530,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
New Mexico is a huge benefactor of federal tax dollars. I hate myself 28 days out the month. The other two days I am cashing my checks. Thanks America! Keep it coming!
Only 28?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 PM

634 posts, read 1,378,571 times
Sometimes I think people have no idea what earmarks are. Not all earmarks are bad you know. That is how bridges and dams are built along with many worthwhile projects.

When entire communities are wiped out by natural disaster it is earmarks that get the funding to help people rebuild their lives. So, I am wondering if you lived in a town that was wiped out by a tornado would you refuse federal assistance because it was an "earmrk"?

I gues it is easier for many people to get out on the internet and scream at everyone than actually educate themselves on the ways of our government and financial responsibility.

Have any of you visited recovery.gov or white house.gov and seen the facts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or