Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 07:29 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

The fact that you can sit there and say that the taxpayers will profit from buying toxic assets from the banks at face value, then selling to investors at a discount is laughable.

Is it?

I'd like to understand - you're asserting unequivocally - the Taxpayers will not benefit from the Treasury's Plan - is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 07:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Is it?

I'd like to understand - you're asserting unequivocally - the Taxpayers will not benefit from the Treasury's Plan - is this correct?
Obviously you havent read the whole thread, maybe you should go back, do so, then come back and repost.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Obviously you havent read the whole thread, maybe you should go back, do so, then come back and repost.
No.

I read exactly what you wrote - is this your retraction?

Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
No.

I read exactly what you wrote - is this your retraction?
Again, you did not read through the threads. Borrowing money from the Chinese, paying interest to them, in order to then re-loan money out to other investors to POSSIBLY make a profit is not what the government s job is. The governments job is not to buy assets from a bank, using taxpayers money, to loan out to rich investors to make them richer.

Anyone who does not understand that higher debt = lower credit ratings and higher borrowing cost for future generations truly does not understand how the bond market works. We only need to look at California to see where the US Government is headed financially, their bond ratings were just lowered substantially and they have the highest borrowing cost of any state in the nation. We have taken the $350Billion Tarp money, have received $11B in dividends from it, and some on the left would call that "profit" while those who understand that we surely have lot more than $11B in available credit by spending $350B.

I have been VERY consistant with this through the whole thread and the fact that you want to assume I said things I didnt is no surprise. Anyone who thinks this is "profitable" does so by not looking at the complete spreadsheet of the budget and only looking at the limited one for "this plan"..

Its like saying, I made my montly mortgage this month so I'm building up equity, but conveniently forgetting to say that to do so, you put the monthly payment on your visa...

Old 04-01-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Again, you did not read through the threads. Borrowing money from the Chinese, paying interest to them, in order to then re-loan money out to other investors to POSSIBLY make a profit is not what the government s job is. The governments job is not to buy assets from a bank, using taxpayers money, to loan out to rich investors to make them richer.

Anyone who does not understand that higher debt = lower credit ratings and higher borrowing cost for future generations truly does not understand how the bond market works. We only need to look at California to see where the US Government is headed financially, their bond ratings were just lowered substantially and they have the highest borrowing cost of any state in the nation. We have taken the $350Billion Tarp money, have received $11B in dividends from it, and some on the left would call that "profit" while those who understand that we surely have lot more than $11B in available credit by spending $350B.

I have been VERY consistant with this through the whole thread and the fact that you want to assume I said things I didnt is no surprise. Anyone who thinks this is "profitable" does so by not looking at the complete spreadsheet of the budget and only looking at the limited one for "this plan"..

Its like saying, I made my montly mortgage this month so I'm building up equity, but conveniently forgetting to say that to do so, you put the monthly payment on your visa...
Again, I read the entire thread, again - you're asserting unequivocally - the Taxpayers will not benefit from the Treasury's Plan - is this correct?

It's a yes or no question, I only asked for verification, you need only say yes this is your position. Correct?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Again, I read the entire thread, again - you're asserting unequivocally - the Taxpayers will not benefit from the Treasury's Plan - is this correct?

It's a yes or no question, I only asked for verification, you need only say yes this is your position. Correct?

Tell me your out of the real estate business, I'd hate to think your actually still reading contracts.

No, the taxpayers will not benefit from the plan, and even if they did, that does not mean they should do it.

Now post the link you've been waiting to post showing that we will, so I can rip it apart showing how its wrong..

Old 04-01-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:

No, the taxpayers will not benefit from the plan, and even if they did, that does not mean they should do it.

The Taxpayers should not endorse a government plan they, themselves will benefit from?

Interesting.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
The Taxpayers should not endorse a government plan they, themselves will benefit from?

Interesting.
Wow, no link showing we will profit from the plan or even benefit from it.. Nothing to dispute the fact that this will benefit the rich, that even economists agree will take place. I guess I'm supposed to take your word for it..

Here, let me recap since your running slow today.
The Real News Network - Geithner's Oligarchs

Lehman's Demise Triggered Cash Crunch Around Globe - WSJ.com

All of these economists are coming out and now saying exactly what I've said since day one...

Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 AM

Thank you for answering the question. Finally. It seemed fairly simply, but so is pulling teeth, I'm told.

I don't think it's necessary to provide you with a link.

I'm not certain why "even if they did, that does not mean they should do it" is a good strategy for the taxpayers, if they will benefit - perhaps you can explain your line of thinking on this.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:

All of these economists are coming out and now saying exactly what I've said since day one...
Perhaps you're smarter than all of the economists. Have you told them you've been saying this since day one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections