Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 08:25 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times

Advertisements

Again, no surprise. Job losses will continue to mount into next year. Actually the article is a bit more optimistic than some I've seen - saying:

"The U.S. jobless rate will likely peak in a range of 9.5 percent to 10.0 percent in 2010."

That's actually relatively good news considering that many economists were expected unemployment to peak at a bit OVER 10%.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
BB is in the Q&A right now; no drama in the market which opened low already anyway.
WASHINGTON -- U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke on Wednesday urged lawmakers to commit to reducing the nearly $2 trillion budget deficit, warning that the government can't borrow "indefinitely" to meet the growing demand on its resources.
Mr. Bernanke adhered closely to the Fed's cautiously upbeat outlook for the economy. Consumer spending, he said, has been flat since the start of the year and sentiment has improved. Housing, he said, "has also shown some signs of bottoming" and lean inventories should eventually spur production.

Still, he cautioned that even when an upturn begins, growth will remain below its long-run potential "for a while."
"Sizable" job losses, he said, should continue for "the next few months," pushing the unemployment rate higher. The government releases May payroll figures Friday. Economists expect another payroll decline of over 500,000, raising the jobless rate past 9%

Bernanke Urges Deficit Reduction - WSJ.com

Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
BB is in the Q&A right now; no drama in the market which opened low already anyway.
WASHINGTON -- U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke on Wednesday urged lawmakers to commit to reducing the nearly $2 trillion budget deficit, warning that the government can't borrow "indefinitely" to meet the growing demand on its resources.
Mr. Bernanke adhered closely to the Fed's cautiously upbeat outlook for the economy. Consumer spending, he said, has been flat since the start of the year and sentiment has improved. Housing, he said, "has also shown some signs of bottoming" and lean inventories should eventually spur production.

Still, he cautioned that even when an upturn begins, growth will remain below its long-run potential "for a while."
"Sizable" job losses, he said, should continue for "the next few months," pushing the unemployment rate higher. The government releases May payroll figures Friday. Economists expect another payroll decline of over 500,000, raising the jobless rate past 9%

Bernanke Urges Deficit Reduction - WSJ.com
Yeah, the deficit is a very big issue - especially in the long run. Right now the government NEEDS to spend to stimulate the economy, but in the long run that can't continue. Walking the fine line between stimulating the economy and dealing with the long-term deficit is THE biggest challenge the administration will face. No doubt about that.

Ken

Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No - homes sales are UP because:
1) Prices dropped
2) The new government home buyer incentives
3) Interest rates are low and folks know they won't remain this low forever - and in fact could start going up at any time. In fact once they DO start going up you'll likely see a stampede of buyers deciding to move before they miss out on the very best financing.
Interest rates were low before the economy crashed, hell, they probably helped it to crash, and prices dropping is not GOOD...

More evidence you dont know wtf your talking about..

Old 06-03-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Ummm .... yeah.
My quote for Dow being up 2.79% to 8,729 was on June 1.
Its at 8,665 today so, must be tragedy to people who thinks that the dow is an indicator of the economy, which its not.

p.s. I'll be up another 22% this month, boo hoo hoo.. where is Obama so I can yell at him!!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Interest rates were low before the economy crashed, and prices dropping is not GOOD...

More evidence you dont know wtf your talking about..
And yet the markets have been trending up, the number of new unemployment claims continue to drop, Manufacturing is increasing, home sales are climbing, public optimism is up.

Yeah, clearly I "don't know wtf I'm talking about".

LOL

Ken

Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its at 8,665 today so, must be tragedy to people who thinks that the dow is an indicator of the economy, which its not.
The markets go up and down on a daily basis - what counts is the overall trend - which has CLEARLY been UP for the last 3 months. I would have thought you were smart enough to know that seeing as you're always CLAIMING to be making all this money in the market. Apparently I was wrong.

Ken

Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
And yet the markets have been trending up, the number of new unemployment claims continue to drop, Manufacturing is increasing, home sales are climbing, public optimism is up.

Yeah, clearly I "don't know wtf I'm talking about".

LOL

Ken
translation:
Markets are going up because they dropped to far, as if that has any indication of the "economy", because if its in the market, people arent spending it.
Unemployment claims continue to go up, (but lets say they "continue to drop" to make it sound better)
Oil prices are rising, wiping out any increased disposable income.
Home sales are climbing because prices are dropping, causing a deflation of the housing market,
Durable good sales reached a 13 year low U.S. Economy: Durable-Goods Orders Near 13-Year Low (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

blah blah blah.. and most of this is not related to ANY president.. Its an economic business cycle. The only reason why presidents hold fault/credit for this is because they are not allowing the cycle to take place meaning they either are will create an artificial bubble in the future, or they are holding back a recovery.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:09 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
The market's staggering up-ish on Ben's remarks, though it looks more as if everyone just took some profits from Mon and Tues and left town.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
The markets go up and down on a daily basis - what counts is the overall trend - which has CLEARLY been UP for the last 3 months. I would have thought you were smart enough to know that seeing as you're always CLAIMING to be making all this money in the market. Apparently I was wrong.

Ken
DING DING DING, we have a winner, it goes up and down daily, so pointing out the previous 2% gain is meaningless, but I didnt see you correct that comment about the increase...

And all of this ignores that the market is not an indicator of the economy at all unless people withdraw their money from the market and spend it. (which causes the market to go down, not up)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections