U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-03-2009, 09:21 AM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
19,872 posts, read 22,783,088 times
Reputation: 7186

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
DING DING DING, we have a winner, it goes up and down daily, so pointing out the previous 2% gain is meaningless, but I didnt see you correct that comment about the increase...
Sure, if it had just been a 2% gain on a single day rather than part of a 3-month-trend I wouldn't have commented on it (as you did when the market was down TODAY - what's the trend been for the last 3 months again???).

The markets have moved how many points in the last 3 months?
In what direction?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And all of this ignores that the market is not an indicator of the economy at all unless people withdraw their money from the market and spend it. (which causes the market to go down, not up)
Sure it is - what kind of ignorant BS is that?
The public panic late last year was a direct result of the market collapse in September - which in turn lead to businesses making job cuts in effort to get their stock price back up, and to people cutting back on their spending because they saw their personal wealth (ie their investments and 401K balances) shrivel up. The market was both an indicator and an impact on the overall economy - and as the markets have trended up and people have seen their personal wealth increase, their optimism has risen and that will bring about (over time) and increase in spending.

More silliness on your part.


Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2009, 09:39 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,491,494 times
Reputation: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Sure, if it had just been a 2% gain on a single day rather than part of a 3-month-trend I wouldn't have commented on it (as you did when the market was down TODAY - what's the trend been for the last 3 months again???).
um, the comment I responded to was about ONE day, not 3 months..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The public panic late last year was a direct result of the market collapse in September - which in turn lead to businesses making job cuts in effort to get their stock price back up, and to people cutting back on their spending because they saw their personal wealth (ie their investments and 401K balances) shrivel up. The market was both an indicator and an impact on the overall economy - and as the markets have trended up and people have seen their personal wealth increase, their optimism has risen and that will bring about (over time) and increase in spending.
You have it backwards, the public panicked and the market collapsed BECAUSE companies were cutting jobs and losing money due to a lapse of consumer spending.

The market follows the economy, it doesnt lead, and even though the market is going up now, its only because it was oversold in September.

Last edited by pghquest; 06-03-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 12:11 PM
 
Location: San Diego
5,319 posts, read 7,858,626 times
Reputation: 3376
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its at 8,665 today so, must be tragedy to people who thinks that the dow is an indicator of the economy, which its not.

p.s. I'll be up another 22% this month, boo hoo hoo.. where is Obama so I can yell at him!!
So you feel no need to ADMIT YOU WERE WRONG about why the market went up 2.79% on Monday June 1st?

You claimed Monday's rise was because of the new companies added to the Dow.

But those changes wont go into effect until June 8th.

Wrong again .... AS USUAL !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 12:21 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,491,494 times
Reputation: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
So you feel no need to ADMIT YOU WERE WRONG about why the market went up 2.79% on Monday June 1st?

You claimed Monday's rise was because of the new companies added to the Dow.

But those changes wont go into effect until June 8th.

Wrong again .... AS USUAL !!!
Um, the dow is down today... but keep pimping it everytime it goes up as it if has anything to do with the economy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 PM
 
Location: San Diego
5,319 posts, read 7,858,626 times
Reputation: 3376
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um, the dow is down today... but keep pimping it everytime it goes up as it if has anything to do with the economy..
I repeat ... AFRAID TO ADMIT YOU WERE WRONG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,491,494 times
Reputation: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I repeat ... AFRAID TO ADMIT YOU WERE WRONG!
About what, the DATE the stocks will be switched? Sure, I didnt know the date, doesnt matter, the market always goes up when they swap out symbols..

And since the topic is stock market going up, and the DOW is the thread, the swapping of the symbol is important, especially considering liberals think the DJIA is an indicator of the economy. My posting stands, if I want to swap out Buffets stock, the DJIA would jump to 100,000 overnight, woo hoo, I bet the economy would be boombing than..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 PM
 
Location: San Diego
5,319 posts, read 7,858,626 times
Reputation: 3376
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
About what, the DATE the stocks will be switched? Sure, I didnt know the date, doesnt matter, the market always goes up when they swap out symbols..

And since the topic is stock market going up, and the DOW is the thread, the swapping of the symbol is important, especially considering liberals think the DJIA is an indicator of the economy. My posting stands, if I want to swap out Buffets stock, the DJIA would jump to 100,000 overnight, woo hoo, I bet the economy would be boombing than..
No .... you were WRONG because the market went up on Monday because of the GOOD economic news, reported in Ken's previous posts.

However, just like in previous discussions we've had on your stock market "predictions", whenever you are wrong, and you are challenged on it, you always try to "spin" your response to look like you were "somehow" right.

I.E. "Wrong ... about what, the DATE the stocks will be switched?"

YES ... I think that the DATE is a pretty important factor here.

Considering Cisco and Travelers wont actually be a part of the Dow until June 8th, it would be pretty hard for them to affect the Dow numbers on June 1st. Don't ya think?

Sorry .... NO SOUP FOR YOU !!!

Also, regarding your comment about adding Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway to the Dow and having it suddenly be 100,000, you do realize that the Dow Jones Industrial Average is not simply a total of all stock prices of the 30 companies in the Dow, and that a special formula is used to compute this number?

I mean, with your being a seasoned stock trader and all ...

Last edited by RD5050; 06-03-2009 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,891 posts, read 16,317,582 times
Reputation: 3123
Yeah it surged in Oct. of 2007 before it fell off a cliff. But if you are so confident I recommend you invest 100% in equities. Me, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 03:52 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,491,494 times
Reputation: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
No .... you were WRONG because the market went up on Monday because of the GOOD economic news, reported in Ken's previous posts.

However, just like in previous discussions we've had on your stock market "predictions", whenever you are wrong, and you are challenged on it, you always try to "spin" your response to look like you were "somehow" right.

I.E. "Wrong ... about what, the DATE the stocks will be switched?"

YES ... I think that the DATE is a pretty important factor here.

Considering Cisco and Travelers wont actually be a part of the Dow until June 8th, it would be pretty hard for them to affect the Dow numbers on June 1st. Don't ya think?

Sorry .... NO SOUP FOR YOU !!!

Also, regarding your comment about adding Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway to the Dow and having it suddenly be 100,000, you do realize that the Dow Jones Industrial Average is not simply a total of all stock prices of the 30 companies in the Dow, and that a special formula is used to compute this number?

I mean, with your being a seasoned stock trader and all ...
Since NO ONE trades on the DJIA, or the SP500, (ok, maybe some HUGE Investment bankers might) the figures are MEANINGLESS. I know its tough for you to understand, but someday you might, let me try to explain it to you.

Claiming the average price of 100 items in a grocery store went up, is meaningless because NO ONE is going to buy all 100 items, they might buy 4-5 of the items on that list, but grocery stores have thousands of items, just like the stock market, and just because the price of those 100 items gone up, it doesnt mean that the other items went up, or that "the economy is recovering", especially if those 100 items were on sale for the last few months when you were running reports.

All the DJIA going up means, is that previously the companies were over sold, i.e. prices were to low. To equate a higher DJIA to a recovering economy is just false without analizing the financial strength of the underlying companies, and that includes sales revenue and profits.

If you still dont understand, then I'd hate to be making budgets in your household.

p.s. I dont usually trade stocks, I insure other peoples stocks, and people are paying a huge premium due to the current administration and their policies.. trust me, I'm not at all upset, my profit margins are through the roof
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 04:17 PM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,193 posts, read 16,626,600 times
Reputation: 8850
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Dow at 8,729 as of 2:21 EST - UP 2.79% today !!!
"Surged"? "Right wingers" upset?

Well that was then, and this is now. And one must look at where it was a year ago.

No matter what you say, since Obama has been Pres., the trend has been mostly down. A slight uptick does not constitute a "surge" and it isn't good news. People have lost thousands because of Obama policies.

This is the Obama economy. It isn't going to get better. All predictions are that things are going to get much worse.

We are now just printing money. And we are still spending. This isn't good. It's bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top