U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2009, 06:54 AM
 
4,433 posts, read 3,914,842 times
Reputation: 1354

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
What continues to confuse me is why the GOP does not openly condemn Bush and his 8 years of horrendous leadership...
I suppose that some will wonder why the Democratic Party won't openly condemn Obama after his term of horrendous leadership as President.


Quote:
They'll ( the GOP ) NEVER get traction with the young and moderates and independents without a profound apology for their complicity in the Bush regime...
I suppose you'd have to point to indisputable complicity before demanding an apology for it.


Quote:
Eventually they ( the GOP ) will have to come clean - or they will just slowly shrink into a truly regional party.
Just because Barack is popular, doesn't mean that the Democratic Party isn't guilty of a lot of bad governance.


Quote:
I wonder what 3rd party will emerge to fill the void that they leave behind?
I don't know, but, you can rest assured that by whatever name or label, there will still be opposition to what the Democratic Party believes in and does in practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2009, 07:55 AM
 
Location: The Planet Mars
2,150 posts, read 2,306,008 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I suppose that some will wonder why the Democratic Party won't openly condemn Obama after his term of horrendous leadership as President.




I suppose you'd have to point to indisputable complicity before demanding an apology for it.




Just because Barack is popular, doesn't mean that the Democratic Party isn't guilty of a lot of bad governance.




I don't know, but, you can rest assured that by whatever name or label, there will still be opposition to what the Democratic Party believes in and does in practice.
Your comments do not deflect the validity of what HubbleRules says.

The GOP is a burning wreck right now... and Obama IS popular with the American public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 AM
 
4,433 posts, read 3,914,842 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Your comments do not deflect the validity of what HubbleRules says.

The GOP is a burning wreck right now... and Obama IS popular with the American public.
I personally wouldn't care if the Republican Party died. I wouldn't care if folks were no longer called "Republicans".

But, there would still be opposition to the Democratic Party because of certain ideals.


Are you saying that there should be no differences of opinion with the Democratic Party? Not to be questioned by anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 10:27 AM
 
Location: The Planet Mars
2,150 posts, read 2,306,008 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I personally wouldn't care if the Republican Party died. I wouldn't care if folks were no longer called "Republicans".

But, there would still be opposition to the Democratic Party because of certain ideals.


Are you saying that there should be no differences of opinion with the Democratic Party? Not to be questioned by anybody?
Nope - that's not remotely what I am saying...

I AM saying however that the current Republican Party are 100% unconditionally opposed to everything that Obama is proposing to do...

Given this - they serve NO USEFUL PURPOSE other than to obstruct and fight progress...

I do believe that a credible 3rd party will eventually emerge to fill the void that the Republicans are creating - and that this new party will be an effective check against whoever is in the majority or whoever controls the White House.

Not sure if it will be the Libertarians - or some entirely new party that has yet to be forned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 AM
 
4,433 posts, read 3,914,842 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I do believe that a credible 3rd party will eventually emerge to fill the void that the Republicans are creating - and that this new party will be an effective check against whoever is in the majority or whoever controls the White House.

Not sure if it will be the Libertarians - or some entirely new party that has yet to be forned...

If this new party directly opposes the ideals of the Democratic Party, will you hate their guts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 11:26 AM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,194 posts, read 16,575,558 times
Reputation: 8847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
If the Republicans nominate Palin in 2012, they'll only get 30% of the national vote and will melt into history like the Whigs.
I'm curious as to why you say this? Based on what? You must have some reason for thinking that.

In my opinion, there may be a better conservative to run; but is this the problem you see with Palin? Too conservative? If that's what you are saying, I say your wrong. The reason the Republicans have been losing is that they have left their conservative principles.

Consider that when Palin was campaigning for McCain, she drew huge crowds; far bigger than McCain had been drawing, and donations began to increase dramatically. People loved her, and the Party was energized in a way that it hadn't been for years.

I wouldn't even dare to pull the "stupidity" or "bimbo" argument; look at Obama. Nothing Sarah Palin has ever said has come close to some of the stupid statements of the One who sits in the Oval office today. And a lot of what she was supposed to have said, she didn't, or it was something out of context. Speech patterns and accent? Look at Obama. He says "ta" when he means "to", and inserts "ahhhhh" about every third word. So forget criticism of Palin's speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 04:19 PM
 
Location: The Planet Mars
2,150 posts, read 2,306,008 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
If this new party directly opposes the ideals of the Democratic Party, will you hate their guts?
No - will you???

I hate the Republicans because they betrayed their conservative principles, and sold a rotten bill of goods (trickle down economics) to the American public when all they really stood for was further enrichment of the wealthy. They did tremendous damage to our economy and standard of living that will take a decade or more to recover from... And they got us into absolutely needless and extremely costly wars ON FALSE PRETENSES...

I'd hate ANY party that does to America what they did...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Southeast
4,296 posts, read 6,262,199 times
Reputation: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
No - will you???
I bet you would.

Democrats encouraged 3rd party candidacies in the 1960s, and did so with great success. The result? Using their $$ and influence to strike them down, since they had effectively split the Republican party. A sleazy tactic, IMO.

In 1992 came the first real chance for an Independent to win (Perot), but sure enough the Democrats and Republicans blackmailed him into quitting the race temporarily, killing his chances. He still managed 19% of the popular vote. Clinton only had 43% which is not even a majority . Perot was down from Gallup's recorded 60% prior to the drop out, and his message was similar to that of Ron Paul's..

Perot did emerge out of nowhere, largely criticizing Bush Sr. and the congressional Democrats who went along with him.. He completely funded his own campaign, and started his own party...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
They did tremendous damage to our economy and standard of living that will take a decade or more to recover from... And they got us into absolutely needless and extremely costly wars ON FALSE PRETENSES...

I'd hate ANY party that does to America what they did...


Actually the economy did quite well under Bush. Unemployment averaged at 5.2%, which is on par with the Clinton years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 11:58 PM
 
4,433 posts, read 3,914,842 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I hate the Republicans because they betrayed their conservative principles.
That is the last thing I ever thought you would say.

You are a flaming liberal, and you couldn't give a crap about conservative principles.

I haven't heard one thing out of the side of your mouth that could convince me that you hold conservative values.

You just hate conservatives because that is what liberals do.

Liberals hate people all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 04:51 AM
 
Location: Illinois Delta
5,763 posts, read 4,345,410 times
Reputation: 2060
It's unclear as to how "bleeding heart liberals" can also "hate all the time." That seems to be a bit of
projection; right now on "Morning Joe" they're discussing the hatred that the GOP is spewing right now, emanating mainly from talk radio...and Scarborough isn't arguing. It seems like a terrible waste to spend one's life filled with anger, rage, resentment and hostility toward others. IMHO, Freud was right on the money with this issue.

Hatred - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top