Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They donated to a total of 37 charities including $25,000 donations to CARE and the United Negro College Funds.
That's quite a few charities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
more proof that people will donate if given the CHOICE...

Old 04-16-2009, 09:57 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
wow. impressive. he didn't donate crap to charity until he was put under a microscope. what an excellent politician.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
wow. impressive. he didn't donate crap to charity until he was put under a microscope. what an excellent politician.
They have money to do it now. They were paying off student loans until I think two years ago.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
no, he is a politician. does this look like the house of someone struggling to pay back student loan debt? keep in mind, this is in an elitist upscale snobby chicago neighborhood. I think you are just making excuses for your politician of choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
They have money to do it now. They were paying off student loans until I think two years ago.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
no, he is a politician. does this look like the house of someone struggling to pay back student loan debt? keep in mind, this is in an elitist upscale snobby chicago neighborhood. I think you are just making excuses for your politician of choice.
No, I think you are just not knowing the facts. He published his books, he got elected to the US Senate, Michelle got a raise; they still had to borrow money for this house, which cost 1.6M. Right after - or maybe before - they had the money to get their mortgage on that house they set up two $100,000 trust funds for each of their kids' educations.

Even Faux has to admit: "It wasn't until Barack Obama wrote a pair of best-selling books that he and his wife escaped their student loan debt....Most of the Obamas' income in 2006, when they had $991,296 in annual income, came from royalties on the books. That was down from the nearly $1.7 million they took in 2005, a total also boosted by a book deal."

Michelle Obama: Barack's Book Sales Paid Off Our Student Loans - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2008/04/09/michelle-obama-baracks-book-sales-paid-off-our-student-loans/ - broken link)

PS - that about "I think you are just making excuses for your politician of choice" offends me. I wouldnt make stuff up. Might be wrong or off the mark sometimes but I wouldnt lie.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:45 PM

I don't know what faux is. I speak english. so they bought a $1.6 million dollar house. what a greedy bastard. he could have lived in a normal house and donated more money to charity. but wait, he's a politician, and does everything in his own political interests. his house is much nicer than warren buffet's. my point is this. he's a politician. he's rich. he cares about himself. it wasn't until he was under a microscope that he started giving to charity. he took heat for it.

Quote:
No, I think you are just not knowing the facts. He published his books, he got elected to the US Senate, Michelle got a raise; they still had to borrow money for this house, which cost 1.6M. Right after - or maybe before - they had the money to get their mortgage on that house they set up two $100,000 trust funds for each of their kids' educations.

Even Faux has to admit: "It wasn't until Barack Obama wrote a pair of best-selling books that he and his wife escaped their student loan debt....Most of the Obamas' income in 2006, when they had $991,296 in annual income, came from royalties on the books. That was down from the nearly $1.7 million they took in 2005, a total also boosted by a book deal."

Michelle Obama: Barack's Book Sales Paid Off Our Student Loans - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2008/04/09/michelle-obama-baracks-book-sales-paid-off-our-student-loans/ - broken link)

PS - that about "I think you are just making excuses for your politician of choice" offends me. I wouldnt make stuff up. Might be wrong or off the mark sometimes but I wouldnt lie.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Well, whatever dont let reality influence your opinion.

(MY house is much nicer than Warren Buffett's!)

Old 04-16-2009, 03:44 PM

you mean the reality that obama is nothing more than a politician? that's the only reality I need.

Quote:

Well, whatever dont let reality influence your opinion.

(MY house is much nicer than Warren Buffett's!)

Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
That's quite a few charities...
Yeah, now that he is in the limelight and knows that everyone can see what he does. All a show and nothing else, but hey, he is after all a politician. They all do such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections