U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 AM

3,854 posts, read 3,743,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.
Mother Teresa

If you judge people, you have no time to love them.
Mother Teresa
Thank you. Great quotes.........wisdom to remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,917,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
so you answer my post with quotes that aren't yours. so in reality, you can't defend him. he donated something like 1% of his money to charity before the election. he claimed that he was paying back student loans, while living in a mansion.

it seems to me that instead of looking up mother teresa quotes, you should simply look up the word politician. that will answer all your questions.

I don't need answers to questions. Perhaps an assailable quarry would be more efficacious.

Clearly one's giving needs no defense.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 AM

2,522 posts, read 3,924,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
One thing never mentioned is how much "free" time the Obamas have devoted to helping others when they were community organizers. Donating time when you could be making a large salary as a corporate lawyer may not be quantifiable, but worth more than donating dollars.
I have some swamp land I can sell you...

Old 04-20-2009, 10:30 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,858,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes the Cheneys gave 75% of their income for 2005, or a total over $7,000,000, oddly enough, a large part of that money was also due to book royalties..
Dick Cheney Donates Millions to Charity
Or could it have been from Cheney receiving money from Halliburton by selling stock-options when Halliburton's price "skyrocketed" during the Iraq War ???

THE 2004 CAMPAIGN: FACT CHECK; A Closer Look at Cheney and Halliburton - New York Times

Quote:
[NY Times - Sept 2004]The officials also said he had promised to donate to charity any after-tax profits he made from exercising his stock options.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:42 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,209,256 times
that is, unless your name is exxon. you're better off not replying. you lost this argument when you posted this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I don't need answers to questions. Perhaps an assailable quarry would be more efficacious.

Clearly one's giving needs no defense.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:58 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,930,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Yeah, now that he is in the limelight and knows that everyone can see what he does. All a show and nothing else, but hey, he is after all a politician. They all do such things.
Um, the guy shunned top wall-street firms and other high-paying law jobs to work as a community organizer, which is something the GOP mocked...but it proves that Obama has always wanted to give back and that money was not his main motivation. Seriously, a couple like them could be rolling in dough right now if they wanted.

Keep in mind, I did not vote for Obama. I am a registered Republican, voted for Paul in the primary and Bob Barr in the general election. I just hate how people ignore facts and history and just make wild accusations. I don't agree with Obama's policies for the most part, but I do know that he's actually someone who cares about more than money.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,930,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
One thing never mentioned is how much "free" time the Obamas have devoted to helping others when they were community organizers. Donating time when you could be making a large salary as a corporate lawyer may not be quantifiable, but worth more than donating dollars.
And also doing pro-bono civil rights law...the fact is, "donations to charities" only applies to 501(c)3 organizations and any money or time donated to something that is not one goes un-checked on the tax return.

If you looked at my tax return, you would say I donated nothing to charity, but I've actually donated 250 hours of my time and hundreds of dollars of my own money on training for local youth sports. I've never filled out a donation form to lower my taxable income, I just give that money out of the goodness of my heart and my desire to help out those less fortunate than I. The simple fact is that 501(c)3 donations can be a scheme to pay less in taxes just as much as they can be a sign that a person is giving back.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,858,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
On their income, Obama should be able to do both.. But thats ok, continue to make excuses for him.

TaxProf Blog: Obama Releases 2007 Tax Return
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_b..._returns_1.jpg

When the Obama's started to earn substantially more money beginning in 2005, they could afford to give a much larger percentage of their income to charity.

Why is that such a difficult concept to understand?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:08 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,209,256 times
what year did they buy their mansion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

When the Obama's started to earn substantially more money beginning in 2005, they could afford to give a much larger percentage of their income to charity.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:31 PM

2,591 posts, read 6,002,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
what year did they buy their mansion?
2005, according to Finding Obama in Chicago - Campaign Coverage '08
Quote:
Hyde Park , Obama’s current home, is about seven kilometers from downtown Chicago, the Loop. His wife grew up not to far from here. Their children were born and attend private school here. In 2005, Obama bought his house in Hyde Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or