U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2009, 05:42 AM
 
Location: San Diego
5,319 posts, read 7,859,485 times
Reputation: 3376

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
And many others whose total income equals that give far more than 1% to charity!



Again, many people who are in the same exact situation give far more than 1% of their earnings to charity. Why are you trying to apologize for Obama?



No one asks how much money I give because I am not a politician; Obama is, so it's no big surprise that his tax returns and his amount given to charity are being discussed.



Yet again, many people who are not in the White House, or running for President, give far more than Obama has. Just admit he is cheap!
Being a politician is a job, just like any other job. Politicians shouldn't be expected to donate more simply because of their choice of career.

And as far as being cheap, how many Harvard Law graduates do you think go to work in inner cities to help the poor, as opposed to those who go to work at top law firms located in wealthy communities? Don't you think that might have affected Obama's potential income just a little bit?

Giving to charity doesn't always mean giving cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2009, 10:40 PM
 
Location: on the edge of Sanity
14,269 posts, read 15,908,825 times
Reputation: 7899
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
wow. impressive. he didn't donate crap to charity until he was put under a microscope. what an excellent politician.
Charity is not always given in dollars and cents. When Obama was a Community Organizer, for example, he could have been working on Wall Street making a high 6 figure income. (Whether or not he used that opportunity to further his political career isn't relevant.) To me this isn't even a topic that should be discussed. I'm an Obama supporter, and I'm happy to see that he & his wife are so generous, but it doesn't tell me what kind of leader he will be. However, it's nice to know that he is sharing his good fortune. Having said that, it could also have been politically motivated, since every presidential candidate is asked to show make his tax returns public. So you have a point. Still, I don't see why anyone should be criticizing his personal donations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I don't know what faux is. I speak english. so they bought a $1.6 million dollar house. what a greedy bastard. he could have lived in a normal house and donated more money to charity. but wait, he's a politician, and does everything in his own political interests. his house is much nicer than warren buffet's. my point is this. he's a politician. he's rich. he cares about himself. it wasn't until he was under a microscope that he started giving to charity. he took heat for it.
Depending on where you live, a $1.6 million home isn't too extravagant for 2 successful people. There is nothing wrong with wanting your family to grow up in a nice environment. Still, I really have no desire to live in a big house, so it's hard for me to relate to his lifestyle. Having said that, there are a lot of things I don't do, but why is it my place to judge others who make different personal choices? The McCains have 13 houses (that they know of! lol) As long as my taxes aren't paying for them, it's not something I lose sleep over.

By the way, did you read about Gov Perry of Texas and how he's taking $11 million taxpayer dollars to renovate his house? I'm talking about the stimulus money he said he didn't want for extended unemployment benefits. I also thought he wants Texas to secede. Or is he waiting until after the Governor's mansion is repaired?

$11 million in federal stimulus funds to be spent on Governor's Mansion repairs | Texas Legislature | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/legislature/story/1390237.html - broken link)

Last edited by justNancy; 05-23-2009 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: oops! fixed post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2009, 10:55 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,429,654 times
Reputation: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Being a politician is a job, just like any other job. Politicians shouldn't be expected to donate more simply because of their choice of career.

And as far as being cheap, how many Harvard Law graduates do you think go to work in inner cities to help the poor, as opposed to those who go to work at top law firms located in wealthy communities? Don't you think that might have affected Obama's potential income just a little bit?

Giving to charity doesn't always mean giving cash.

He did not go into the inner cities to help the poor, he went to Chicago Ill for a reason and it was not to help the poor either. Connections baby, connections. Nothing to do helping anyone but himself.

And of course he met his very best friend Ayers, Dorn, Rev Wright etc etc etc. Of whom all hate America. uhmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2009, 11:05 PM
 
Location: on the edge of Sanity
14,269 posts, read 15,908,825 times
Reputation: 7899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
He did not go into the inner cities to help the poor, he went to Chicago Ill for a reason and it was not to help the poor either. Connections baby, connections. Nothing to do helping anyone but himself.

And of course he met his very best friend Ayers, Dorn, Rev Wright etc etc etc. Of whom all hate America. uhmmmm.
So now we need to question every good work done by someone? Do you think a homeless person cares if you give him a warm bed and a hot meal because you want recognition or you're just a darn nice person?

You might be absolutely correct, but I don't understand your point. Every business person needs to network. Even if you start a charity out of the goodness of your heart, you still need donations, so you go around meeting influential people who have money and know other wealthy people and can help organize events. So what?

By the way, you must know (because there was so much hype about it) that William Ayers was introduced to Obama by a Republican and it was a Republican funded project, right? Just in case you forgot......

"It was never a concern by any of us in the Chicago school reform movement that he had led a fugitive life years earlier," said former Illinois state Republican Rep. Diana Nelson, who worked with both Obama and Ayers over the years. "It's ridiculous. There is no reason at all to smear Barack Obama with this association. It's nonsensical, and it just makes me crazy. It's so silly."

Here's another one

"I don't remember ever hearing anyone raise concerns or questions or concerns about [Ayers'] background," says Anne Hallett, who has worked closely with Ayers on the Annenberg Challenge grant and with Obama on education and other community and legislative matters. "And that included everybody I was engaged with," including prominent Republicans, and corporate and civic leaders in Chicago, Hallett adds.

I have no idea why I just came back and added that last quote. It's really a waste of time if someone is still dwelling on the whole "palling around with terrorists" accusation. This is such old "news!" Next we'll be discussing Obama's birth certificate!

Last edited by justNancy; 05-23-2009 at 11:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 12:23 AM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,429,654 times
Reputation: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
So now we need to question every good work done by someone? Do you think a homeless person cares if you give him a warm bed and a hot meal because you want recognition or you're just a darn nice person?

You might be absolutely correct, but I don't understand your point. Every business person needs to network. Even if you start a charity out of the goodness of your heart, you still need donations, so you go around meeting influential people who have money and know other wealthy people and can help organize events. So what?

By the way, you must know (because there was so much hype about it) that William Ayers was introduced to Obama by a Republican and it was a Republican funded project, right? Just in case you forgot......

"It was never a concern by any of us in the Chicago school reform movement that he had led a fugitive life years earlier," said former Illinois state Republican Rep. Diana Nelson, who worked with both Obama and Ayers over the years. "It's ridiculous. There is no reason at all to smear Barack Obama with this association. It's nonsensical, and it just makes me crazy. It's so silly."

Here's another one

"I don't remember ever hearing anyone raise concerns or questions or concerns about [Ayers'] background," says Anne Hallett, who has worked closely with Ayers on the Annenberg Challenge grant and with Obama on education and other community and legislative matters. "And that included everybody I was engaged with," including prominent Republicans, and corporate and civic leaders in Chicago, Hallett adds.

I have no idea why I just came back and added that last quote. It's really a waste of time if someone is still dwelling on the whole "palling around with terrorists" accusation. This is such old "news!" Next we'll be discussing Obama's birth certificate!
What birth certificate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 02:30 AM
 
Location: Texas
279 posts, read 370,562 times
Reputation: 57
Barack Hussein Obama's best charity is Acorn who are in a world of hurt.

ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES & LET THE BATTLE BEGIN
GOD BLESS TEXAS & THE MILITARY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 11:31 AM
 
Location: South Fla
9,644 posts, read 8,612,871 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
That's quite a few charities...
What did he donate before he said Hey I wanna be president and now

You might be shocked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Reading, PA
4,059 posts, read 3,889,763 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
more proof that people will donate if given the CHOICE...
It's not proof of anything except that the Obamas donated that much money to that many charities in that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Texas
279 posts, read 370,562 times
Reputation: 57
Acorn is not a charity organization. That has already been proven.

ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES & LET THE BATTLE BEGIN
GOD BLESS TEXAS & THE MILITARY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,429,654 times
Reputation: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
no, he is a politician. does this look like the house of someone struggling to pay back student loan debt? keep in mind, this is in an elitist upscale snobby chicago neighborhood. I think you are just making excuses for your politician of choice.
He was making 2 million dollars 4 years ago and still had student loans?

Shows he cannot handle his money well.

He did not pay them off on purpose to hide his assets to fools to fell for his plan.

The cheapass was making 2 million and donated around 2% of 2 million 4 years ago, with most of that going to you know who - a guy named Rev Wright.

His tax returns if you look back at them shows how he is hiding his money.
Taking farm deductions when you live in a mansion like this. Ok!

Maybe Michelle will sign her 600.00 sneakers and have an auction and donate to a cause other then minority charities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top