Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 02:58 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Actually TigerLily, I can take your point to heart. You do make sense.

Here's a question. Should a veteran be more scrutinized than a tree hugger that might set ski resorts or homes on fire to stop encroachment on owl habitats?

Since it was leaked, it's too bad the report didn't include Code Pink members, or members of PETA as folks to be wary of. They are just as likely to become killers as anyone else.
Well, I agree with you about PETA, but, I suspect that they would have been included in the 'left-wing' report that was issued earlier (January) this year. That one was all about the 'tree-huggers,' animal-rights activists and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 03:01 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
With the current wackjobs voting in the gop primaries I wouldn't be surprized if this was the ticket.
astute comment! Thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 03:14 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
How do Democrats deal with domestic terrorists like Mike Ayers?
Who? You mean William Ayers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
As a Democrat and a liberal, I take great exception to your characterization of how liberals allegedly feel about the military.
I posted something similar on another thread and want to stay on-topic, but since this has been discussed here, I'd like to point out that there is a reason Washington often sheds a dim light on liberals or anti-war protesters. By creating a very negative view of anyone who disagrees with government policy, it has more control over future events and public opinion.

This is from a book by Jerry Lembcke, Associate Professor of Sociology at Holy Cross College who is a Vietnam veteran. [url]http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/04/30/debunking_a_spitting_image/[/url]

"STORIES ABOUT spat-upon Vietnam veterans are like mercury: Smash one and six more appear. It's hard to say where they come from. For a book I wrote in 1998 I looked back to the time when the spit was supposedly flying, the late 1960s and early 1970s. I found nothing. No news reports or even claims that someone was being spat on."

"What I did find is that around 1980, scores of Vietnam-generation men were saying they were greeted by spitters when they came home from Vietnam. There is an element of urban legend in the stories in that their point of origin in time and place is obscure, and, yet, they have very similar details. The story told by the man who spat on Jane Fonda at a book signing in Kansas City recently is typical. Michael Smith said he came back through Los Angeles airport where ''people were lined up to spit on us."

"Like many stories of the spat-upon veteran genre, Smith's lacks credulity. GIs landed at military airbases, not civilian airports, and protesters could not have gotten onto the bases and anywhere near deplaning troops. There may have been exceptions, of course, but in those cases how would protesters have known in advance that a plane was being diverted to a civilian site? And even then, returnees would have been immediately bused to nearby military installations and processed for reassignment or discharge."

Before anyone starts calling him (or me) a Commie, Pinko, Traitor.. articles of his are published on this site, which stands for Vietnam Veterans Against The War.

"...the Veterans Administration commissioned a Harris Poll in 1971 that found 94% of Vietnam veterans reporting friendly homecomings from their age-group peers who had not served in the military."

[URL="http://www.vvaw.org/veteran/article/?id=350"]Vietnam Veterans Against the War: THE VETERAN: Spitting on the Troops: Old Myth, New Rumors[/URL]

Different war, same old story. Do you remember in 2003 when anyone who said the Iraq war was a mistake was called un-American? The Dixie Chicks were banned from many radio stations just for expressing their thoughts about the war & President Bush.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:46 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,775 times
Please remember that going to war for the wrong reason (in order to gain money / power/ territory) is (or should be) an abominable act. To use war for defensive purposes, for onself, one's nation, or to protect others is another story entirely. The "wars" that us liberals object to so strongly are the ones that are volitional and that serve no good purpose!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:57 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Oh, excuse me!, I thought this was the :

My Dream GOP ticket for 2012: Palin/Bachman

thread .

Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 PM

500 posts, read 702,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Well, after getting stomped in the 2008 election, the Republican party decided that they lost because they "weren't conservative enough."

So, to help the GOP get back on its feet, I recommend a tough-to-beat ticket of Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachman in 2012! They are both brilliant leaders and lawmakers who have a deep understanding of the key issues like the economy, defense, and foreign affairs.

You'll energize the base like never before and, if all goes well, maybe even get 30% of the vote. Best of luck!
If they can speak well, and come up with cheesy slogans, they'll have a pretty good chance. Political knowledge is not necessary.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:38 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
[quote=Yooperkat;8570479]How do Democrats deal with domestic terrorists like Mike Ayers?

Oh yeah, they let them teach their children in a University in Chicago.

Do you walk on water and heal the sick?
How do you KNOW that no Republicans sent their ADULT kids (makes a hell of a lot of sense) to any of Ayers' classes?
Besides, Who the Frick is Mike Ayers?
You just show how ill informed you truly are (Bill Ayers)!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
If you notice my status, I would have an orgasm if this ticket came to life!
Obama and Biden would probably win all the states except AK, MS, AL and LA.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:50 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Go to www. PalinBachmann . com

Trust me - it's funny.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Well, after getting stomped in the 2008 election, the Republican party decided that they lost because they "weren't conservative enough."

So, to help the GOP get back on its feet, I recommend a tough-to-beat ticket of Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachman in 2012! They are both brilliant leaders and lawmakers who have a deep understanding of the key issues like the economy, defense, and foreign affairs.

You'll energize the base like never before and, if all goes well, maybe even get 30% of the vote. Best of luck!
Great post, now that's an unbeatable ticket.....I say spineless Steele puts the support of the RNC behind this duo!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections