U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,491,538 times

Advertisements

Why is it that they are all on the liberal side of the ticket? Catholics make up the biggest religious group in this country and their religious views are right in line with the republicans (abortion, family values, etc).

Why is the religious affiliation always
Republican => Evangelical Christion,
Democrat => Catholics

Any thoughts? I am looking at 2012 potentials and everyone except Romney is a Protestant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 AM

5,165 posts, read 5,330,016 times
I believe Bobby Jindal is Catholic. But why does it matter to you?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:16 AM

1,238 posts, read 2,226,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Why is it that they are all on the liberal side of the ticket? Catholics make up the biggest religious group in this country and their religious views are right in line with the republicans (abortion, family values, etc).

Democrat => Catholics

Any thoughts? I am looking at 2012 potentials and everyone except Romney is a Protestant.
Romney is a protestant, his religious views is Mormon.

Bobby Jindal is a Catholic and so is Alan Keyes. Some consider Alan Keyes to be a bit crazy though.

It is unfortunate that so many Catholics in this country are liberals because there is no such thing as a liberal Catholic, at least when using the definition that liberal is referred to.

I am a Catholic and very conservative on most issues except the death penalty. I also don't believe in war, which seems to be a republican ideal now. But I do not believe in abortion or *** marriage.

I'd say a little over 50% of self-proclaimed Catholics in America are democrats.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,418,971 times
I have had an Evangelical Protestant tell me the Catholics were Pagans. I did not ask for an explaination.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have had an Evangelical Protestant tell me the Catholics were Pagans. I did not ask for an explaination.
All protestants are pagans for picking and choosing which doctrines of the Christian faith to follow. The Catholic Church follows the fullness of Christianity, while protestants subscribe to some sort of buffet system. It's like Catholics have their meat, bread, fruits, vegetables, milk, and even a dessert at the end while protestants decide they won't eat their veggies anymore. Because of this they cannot grow and be as healthy as Catholics.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 AM

2,857 posts, read 5,993,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post

Democrat => Catholics

Maybe these Catholics can distinguish between personal beliefs and the civil rights of others. I can be anti-abortion and against gay marriage and practice those beliefs by not partaking in either, but that doesn't mean I think that everyone else should follow my lead and share my beliefs.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 PM

41,492 posts, read 51,418,971 times
AaronK - Thank you. I thought the feeling was mutual. You are both wrong by the way.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:51 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,674,652 times
Mormons are not Protestants, not in the usual sense. A generation ago, they did not even consider themselves Christians. They use the Book of Mormon as well as the Bible. Google "Mormon" or "LDS" (what they prefer to be called).

Old 05-07-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
AaronK - Thank you. I thought the feeling was mutual. You are both wrong by the way.
I am wrong? How so. I am afraid you are wrong. Catholics are the only true Christians, the rest of you being false witnesses. It is like there is a gigantic banquet going on, and the protestants decide to eat from the garbage can outside.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,993,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I am wrong? How so. I am afraid you are wrong. Catholics are the only true Christians, the rest of you being false witnesses. It is like there is a gigantic banquet going on, and the protestants decide to eat from the garbage can outside.
The Catholic church doesn't even preach this garbage anymore. Where do you get this stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections