Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:34 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

I have heard people here say they would never vote for a woman (God forbid) or Giuliani; they equate both as being equally offensive for some reason. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I have heard people here say they would never vote for a woman (God forbid) or Giuliani; they equate both as being equally offensive for some reason. Why?
I hate to sound like a "regionalist", lol, but it's true.

People from the south(in general) don't respect women as much as the north when it comes to positions of power. They certainly don't respect a woman liberal.

Giuliani, weeeeelll, he's an eye-talian, lol. That, and he's socially moderate. People from the south are all about religion controlling our behavior. Rudy is a free thinker, and does not consider the bible when setting public policy.

This makes most of them get their overalls in a bunch.

I actually got in a conversation with one of these people, from Texas. My argument to him was "What makes you think any thinking person would want to agree with the political views of a Texan? Have you not noticed the trouble you got us into?" He FREAKED about that, and then freaked about Giuliani. Started cursing about him being part of the mafia, lol, he went ballistic. I responded with some wise remark and closed it with "Happy Cross-Burning!".

Giuliani is a tough sell south of the Mason-Dixon. All I know is he'd better "goober-up" if he wants to win the bible-belt. Maybe a cowboy hat, a few "god bless Americas", followed by a "if you're an American you should learn to speak the language". Being pro-choice and pro-civil union is going to be a real burden in 2008. Let's not even talk about the bible-belt focusing on a candidate's marital business.

~T

Old 04-05-2007, 02:00 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I Giuliani is a tough sell south of the Mason-Dixon. All I know is he'd better "goober-up" if he wants to win the bible-belt. Maybe a cowboy hat, a few "god bless Americas", followed by a "if you're an American you should learn to speak the language". Being pro-choice and pro-civil union is going to be a real burden in 2008. Let's not even talk about the bible-belt focusing on a candidate's marital business.

~T
I'm about 8 miles west of the Hudson and he's a tough sell to me too

While I agree with a number of his positions his attempts to censor exhibits at the Brooklyn Museum to his personal/religious opinions make him a no-go for me.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:03 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
While I agree with a number of his positions his attempts to censor exhibits at the Brooklyn Museum to his personal/religious opinions make him a no-go for me.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:10 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,204 times
I think it's that "D" word that is hurting him the most among the religious right southerners too. His record in N.Y. is stellar. I lived in N.Y. during Lindsey, Koch, Dinkins, and Juliani. Rudy cleaned up the city after the former let it fall apart. Especially Dinkins. So he didn't like some art (or his wife). Everyone makes mistakes.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:11 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Ok, I will play the devils advocate. Why are some people in the north resistant to candidates soley because they are from the south??

Old 04-05-2007, 02:12 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Are they?

I believe we've had one hellava lot of elected officials from below the M&D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Ok, I will play the devils advocate. Why are some people in the north resistant to candidates soley because they are from the south??

Old 04-05-2007, 02:14 PM

What "d" word? I am feeling dense and

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
I think it's that "D" word that is hurting him the most among the religious right southerners too. His record in N.Y. is stellar. I lived in N.Y. during Lindsey, Koch, Dinkins, and Juliani. Rudy cleaned up the city after the former let it fall apart. Especially Dinkins. So he didn't like some art (or his wife). Everyone makes mistakes.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:20 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Are they?

I believe we've had one hellava lot of elected officials from below the M&D.
Your right but that doesn't mean that it has been without resistance. Jimmy Carter was called the P-nut Farmer, his accent was much discussed, even Clinton, and of course Bush. There has always been the thnking that those in the south are less sophisticated and less educated than their northern counterparts.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:21 PM

Yup, another stereotype, probably. I love a good Southern drink, accent and magnolia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Your right but that doesn't mean that it has been without resistance. Jimmy Carter was called the P-nut Farmer, his accent was much discussed, even Clinton, and of course Bush. There has always been the thnking that those in the south are less sophisticated and less educated than their northern counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections