Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the GOP Gain or Lose Seats in 2010 ??
GOP will add seats. 45 69.23%
GOP will lose seats. 17 26.15%
Seats won't change much. 2 3.08%
Not sure / No opinion. 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

We New Hampshire Democrats hope to elect an additional Democratic Senator in 2010 while keeping both of our Democratic Representatives. Allowing the Republicans to gain an effective fillibuster power in either the Senate or the House would be most unfortunate for the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
If Nancy Peolosi is kept under wraps and to a minimum, the GOP loses seats. If she is not, the GOP gains seats.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:31 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I understand individual polls would be better than a generic poll, but the generic poll is useful if you follow it over time as you can spot a trend. The trend (weekly poll) was solid (D) for several consecutive years until the (R)s pulled ahead one week in March. It has been very tight since.

There are some individual polls for Senate and Gubernatorial races, but I think it's too early to read into a poll. In that sense, a generic poll like Rasmussen can serve a purpose for now. I think it's clear that there is an (R) shift right now, b/c the (D)s are out of control and the (R)s are so badly damaged and the (D)s so strong the gap is more likely to shrink than widen. The party in power's reputation will change with the Economy. As the Economy continues to tank, the (R)s will gain just as the (D)s did last Fall.

The Governor's races (VA and NJ) in November of 2009 may give a sense of where things stand.
I agree the Govenor's races will provide some insight and generic polls are good to spot what may be coming in 5-10 years, but I do not think a single election year can be determined by generic polls this far out. Eventually the Rs will come back because that is the political cycle of life, but it is not possible to tell for 2010 so making predictions as to who will gain or loose seats in the house and Senate is impossible right now. Essentially it is a coin flip and imho anyone who tries to guess it is just guessing or relying on wishful thinking, hoping their party will win.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:25 PM

817 posts, read 853,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We New Hampshire Democrats hope to elect an additional Democratic Senator in 2010 while keeping both of our Democratic Representatives. Allowing the Republicans to gain an effective fillibuster power in either the Senate or the House would be most unfortunate for the country.
The only thing that can help this country is for the republicans to gain the majority in the senate or house. We're better off when one party doesn't control everything.

And if the economy keeps this up they will most certainly get a majority, most likely in the senate.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:50 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Question would be how long are we going to HOPE FOR CHANGE when it is now a total liberal controlled congress for 2 1/2 years and see what it has done to us.

LIBERALS HAVE CONTROLLED CONGRESS FOR 2 1/2 YEARS !!

Change we can believe in.

Yes we can't!!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
As a strong Obama supporter and a Democrat voter, I have no doubt that the Republicans will pick up seats in 2010.

Society is not comfortable with imbalanced government. We almost destroyed ourselves by going too conservative, so we swung hard in the opposite direction in 06/08. By 2010 we'll be ready to balance.

Historically, that's how it's always happened. Republicans just need to find leaders who aren't international jokes and intellectual lightweights - perhaps Paul Ryan, Bobby Jindal, a few of the governors... a lot of strong, smart conservative leaders.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
As a strong Obama supporter and a Democrat voter, I have no doubt that the Republicans will pick up seats in 2010.

Society is not comfortable with imbalanced government. We almost destroyed ourselves by going too conservative, so we swung hard in the opposite direction in 06/08. By 2010 we'll be ready to balance.

Historically, that's how it's always happened. Republicans just need to find leaders who aren't international jokes and intellectual lightweights - perhaps Paul Ryan, Bobby Jindal, a few of the governors... a lot of strong, smart conservative leaders.
This is one of many fallacies currently being promoted.

The GOP is losing elections b/c it is NOT conservative. They have run up deficits in the hundreds of billions, initiated an amnesty bill, bailed out companies that should have failed and passed worthless stimuli. They passed No Child Left Behind (when they should have abolished the Dept of Education), created a brand new entitlement (Medicare Part D) and a new Department (DHS). Bush was not a conservative or a non-interventionist; he added nearly $ 3 Trillion to the public debt in 8 years. He even bailed out GM and Chrysler when even a moron knew they had no chance of turning things around in the 3 months they were given (esp in light of the recession and weak credit market during that time).

Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
This is one of many fallacies currently being promoted.

The GOP is losing elections b/c it is NOT conservative. They have run up deficits in the hundreds of billions, initiated an amnesty bill, bailed out companies that should have failed and passed worthless stimuli. They passed No Child Left Behind (when they should have abolished the Dept of Education), created a brand new entitlement (Medicare Part D) and a new Department (DHS). Bush was not a conservative or a non-interventionist; he added nearly $ 3 Trillion to the public debt in 8 years. He even bailed out GM and Chrysler when even a moron knew they had no chance of turning things around in the 3 months they were given (esp in light of the recession and weak credit market during that time).
Fair enough, but in the end this administration and its policies were the choice of conservatives in two presidential election cycles and three Congressional cycles.

You knew what Bush was about after the first 4 years, and, quite astonishingly to the entire world, you chose him again. So, if it wasn't conservatism, then that's your own fault. Conservatives had unfettered control for 6 years and, as such, nearly destroyed our nation (per the original point).

Edit: I would like to also say that I hope that this Republican collapse leads us back to having a branch of government that holds to the values you suggest above. I think the tension between the two sides is very healthy, and we collapsed because it got muddled.

Last edited by Bluefly; 07-02-2009 at 10:51 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 07:43 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Fair enough, but in the end this administration and its policies were the choice of conservatives in two presidential election cycles and three Congressional cycles.

You knew what Bush was about after the first 4 years, and, quite astonishingly to the entire world, you chose him again. So, if it wasn't conservatism, then that's your own fault. Conservatives had unfettered control for 6 years and, as such, nearly destroyed our nation (per the original point).

Edit: I would like to also say that I hope that this Republican collapse leads us back to having a branch of government that holds to the values you suggest above. I think the tension between the two sides is very healthy, and we collapsed because it got muddled.
It wasn't conservatism that 'nearly destroyed our nation.' Like I said, conservatives would have balanced the budget, would not create new agencies, would not over-regulate and support a sound currency (which will be the cause of a destroyed America, if it happen). Conservatives don't bail out companies; if you don't believe me, look up how Ron Paul, Michele Bachmann and Mike Pence voted on the TARP bill in the Fall of 2008.

Bush was a social conservative and, to his credit, he cut taxes and appointed excellent SCOTUS judges. In terms of spending, though, he was basically a moderate Democrat (along the lines of Even Bayh, who even voted down some of W's budget proposals). Bush wasn't great, but I'd take him over Gore and Kerry any day.

It's Obama and the (D) party that will destroy America. They have wasted Trillions of Dollars since January of 2009 and it has only made things WORSE. The stimulus was a waste of $ 787 Billion + interest and it takes money away from productive areas of the Economy. They wasted a couple hundred billion on their foreclosure relief plan which has failed.

Everything liberals (including liberal Republicans) touch, turns to s***. Just look at the states and cities they have run into the ground: California, NY, NJ, Michigan, New Orleans, Baltimore, etc. The left brought California, a formerly great state, to its knees. It may never return to its once great status.

The 2009 deficit was predicted to be around $ 600 Billion on Inauguration day. It's now going to break $ 2 Trillion b/c of Obama and the (D)s in Congress. It's Obama and the (D) party that wants Cap and Trade, that will destroy our Economy and cause massive job losses and increases in energy prices. It's Obama and the (D) party that is trying to takeover our Healthcare system, although it is the world leader (despite what leftists say).

This Administration is spending so much, that they will have to print the money to make up for the difference. This will dilute the value of existing US Dollars; to what extent we do not know yet, but it could be severe.

Look at the numbers. We have lost more than 2.5 million jobs since Obama took office despite the Trillions he has wasted. He promotes policies that HURT the Economy and he's doing it on purpose (b/c it's hard for me to believe he's dumb enough to think these policies will help the Economy). China and other countries are losing faith in the US Dollar as a reserve currency. We're being laughed at by Sarkozy and the EU President said we're on a path to hell. I hope you realize how serious this situation is and that the Democrats are causing it.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:48 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Agreed. Senate is the key. Having a larger minority in the house does the GOP no good. Party must gain a 41st Senate seat or remain impotent.
Will the Democrats do a lot of damage with their 60 seat super majority?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections