Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:35 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,107 times

Advertisements

If there is a lawsuit, it would be against Sgt. Crowley - he wrote the police report and is the one who said Whalen mentioned race.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I've been waiting for someone else to start a thread about the 911 call to the Cambridge Police. I don't like to start threads, because then I feel I have to write something intelligent and thought provoking!

Anyway, please show me where there is any mention of race, except when the 911 operator asks the caller if the men are White, Black or Hispanic for identification purposes.

Please show me where a caller reported a burglary in progress, except to say an older neighbor was concerned.

I hope Ms Whalens sues every news source....and the President as well!
(can you do that?)

RAW DATA: Transcript of Cambridge 911 Call - Political News - FOXNews.com

By the way, for me to quote something from Fox is like Huckabee reading from the Qur'an, but it's only a transcript.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
'I don't know the facts..
I am biased as Gates is a friend...
The Cambridge police acted stupidly...'

Obama screwed this up big-time....

Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
'I don't know the facts..
I am biased as Gates is a friend...
The Cambridge police acted stupidly...'

Obama screwed this up big-time....
No he didn't. What is screwed up big time is that people don't listen to everything in the context of what is being said and instead take the best sound bite to make a determination of what is being said.

He prefaced his whole statement by disclosing that Gates was a friend. He stated that the police responded in the manner that they should have. He laid out what he knew about the incident and based on that he stated the police acted stupidly for arresting someone in their home since it was confirmed that he lived there. He then made a statement about racial profiling as it is documented to still be a problem in the USA.

His mistake may have been in answering the reporter's question with the information that was available to him at the time. What you got was a human response, not a political response that was drafted and researched and reviewed prior to being made public.

Maybe he was wrong in the court of public opinion but in general I did not see it as being as outrageous as some have made it out to be.

Just out of curiosity, should he have snubbed the reporter and refused to answer or should he have stated that the police were correct in arresting Gates even though the information that he had at the time did not reflect that it was the correct response to the situation?

Just as an ending to this post, it is now known that the media did not report this situation correctly in the beginning so the initial reports were misleading.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:01 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I've been waiting for someone else to start a thread about the 911 call to the Cambridge Police. I don't like to start threads, because then I feel I have to write something intelligent and thought provoking!

Anyway, please show me where there is any mention of race, except when the 911 operator asks the caller if the men are White, Black or Hispanic for identification purposes.

Please show me where a caller reported a burglary in progress, except to say an older neighbor was concerned.

I hope Ms Whalens sues every news source....and the President as well!
(can you do that?)

RAW DATA: Transcript of Cambridge 911 Call - Political News - FOXNews.com

By the way, for me to quote something from Fox is like Huckabee reading from the Qur'an, but it's only a transcript.

Wow, thought provoking indeed.

You do realized you just answered your own question in your title post, right?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times
Too bad when you see a crime or what you think is a crime, you have to be careful in what you say.
This is bull crap
how many folks will see what happened to this woman and keep their mouths shut for fear.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I feel bad for her being attacked the way she was by the haters and race baters. You try to do the right thing and just report a possible crime, something suspicious at least, and you have no agenda. You in turn get accused of being the type of person that your accusers in fact are. The same thing happened to officer Crowley and its no wonder he he got so indignant.
I don't get to watch SNL but have they had any skits skewering the old kook professor?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
No he didn't. What is screwed up big time is that people don't listen to everything in the context of what is being said and instead take the best sound bite to make a determination of what is being said.

He prefaced his whole statement by disclosing that Gates was a friend. He stated that the police responded in the manner that they should have. He laid out what he knew about the incident and based on that he stated the police acted stupidly for arresting someone in their home since it was confirmed that he lived there. He then made a statement about racial profiling as it is documented to still be a problem in the USA.

His mistake may have been in answering the reporter's question with the information that was available to him at the time. What you got was a human response, not a political response that was drafted and researched and reviewed prior to being made public.

Maybe he was wrong in the court of public opinion but in general I did not see it as being as outrageous as some have made it out to be.

Just out of curiosity, should he have snubbed the reporter and refused to answer or should he have stated that the police were correct in arresting Gates even though the information that he had at the time did not reflect that it was the correct response to the situation?

Just as an ending to this post, it is now known that the media did not report this situation correctly in the beginning so the initial reports were misleading.

good grief, Obama is aces at not answering questions, he talks in circles
all the time
it makes no difference about HOW it was reported, except the race baiters, including your president, frothed their mouths off

Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Put the racial montogue away. EVERY FREAKIN NEWS Organization JUMPED on this story FULL DAMN THROTTLE even your MESSIAH fox. NOT ONE checked the facts...The woman NEVER said black man...NEVER...Fox recited the story just like CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC ect. Make sure when you jump on the high moral horse and start pointing fingers, make sure you use all 10 to point to every damn news organization. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.
You're right.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:22 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Wonder why the 911 operator asked what race they were .... not to fan flames, but what difference does it make? An alleged break in is an alleged break in no matter what race the people are. Sounds like this call was precipitated by a scared old person ... didn't she know who their neighbors were??? In any event, I'm getting tired of this "teachable moment crap" ... Professor Gates overreacted and the media made this debacle about everything BUT what actually happened. Obama let his personal feelings get in the way of police business, which was wrong.

Ok ok ... they are having red white and blue beers ... how aseninely planned. Larry Wilmore nailed the entire thing perfectly, as usual:

Henry Louis-Gate - Race Card | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Boston officer's apparent racial slur may get him fired - CNN.com

Quote:
Boston officer's apparent racial slur may get him fired
Let's see how this sits with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections