U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 PM

4,433 posts, read 3,922,400 times

Advertisements

I have heard that the Canadian system doesn't include dental and optical care.

They have to buy private insurance for that care.

Is this true? I haven't heard the hill talk about this.

If Universal healthcare doesn't include Dental & Optical care, how could the government possibly ask me to drop my current insurance, which covers everything?

Does someone know the truth about this?

I'd like real documentation.

If this plan might not cover ALL of my healthcare issues, why isn't it being talked about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 11:57 PM

30,701 posts, read 33,484,787 times
My current health plan does NOT included dental or vision care, I purchase those seperately.
I don't know what Canada does but it doesn't really matter since we are not copying their healthcare system.
I don't know if our current healthcare reform proposals even touch upon dental and vision. But if you have the coverage now and like it I suggest you keep it and not opt into the public plan, if it should passes. And hope that your current carrier doesn't change anything, as they are prone to do.

Last edited by Ceece; 08-14-2009 at 12:12 AM..

Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,209,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I have heard that the Canadian system doesn't include dental and optical care.

They have to buy private insurance for that care.?
Excuse me but, your question is not ever close to being applicable to the United States

There is NO comparison - NONE to the Canadian system - I have no idea where you got the idea there was or why you EVEN referenced it

Old 08-14-2009, 06:23 AM

2,325 posts, read 6,109,761 times
Churchill's party was kicked out of office after WWII (and we paid for that all through the Cold War) based on the Labour Party promising utopia; reality set in and the country came very close to bankruptcy; the solution? Amend the health care law to where services were rationed. Today this little country half the size of Arizona is in some serious trouble. Proving health care for 350 MILLION Americans plus any alien is a pipe dream for votes.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:11 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,143,930 times
Roosvelt, the reason Churchill lost the election was simple, the British people did'nt want a Conservative goverment in power.
They had one before the war when Britain was arguably the richest country in the world but it's working class were starving.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:24 AM

2,325 posts, read 6,109,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Roosvelt, the reason Churchill lost the election was simple, the British people did'nt want a Conservative goverment in power.
They had one before the war when Britain was arguably the richest country in the world but it's working class were starving.
Please do not mock the leadership of Churchill who defended the entire world against Hitler until the wimps in the United States finally started fighting back. Without the conservatives all of Europe and Africa could be speaking German now.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:03 PM

17,793 posts, read 19,813,321 times
The dental and optical is ONLY under the "Premier Plus" program which is the most expensive plan... it is however "free" to those under the age of 18 in "regular" family plans...

Old 08-14-2009, 05:46 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,790,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Churchill's party was kicked out of office after WWII (and we paid for that all through the Cold War) based on the Labour Party promising utopia; reality set in and the country came very close to bankruptcy; the solution? Amend the health care law to where services were rationed. Today this little country half the size of Arizona is in some serious trouble. Proving health care for 350 MILLION Americans plus any alien is a pipe dream for votes.
Actually the Brits are overwhelmingly happy with their National Health System - despite how their views are erroneously portrayed on FOX News and other Right Wing sources. For months now, British Conservative Daniel Hannan - who is pretty much a non-entity Wingnut even in his own party back in Britain - has been portrayed on Hannity and other Right Wing leaning FOX News shows as a barometer of British opinion and has been going on and on about how the Brits are so unhappy with their current system. Until recently his appearances on these shows had been pretty much unknown in Britain. Now however it's coming to folks attention back there - and they are FURIOUS that the majority opinion about the National Health Services has been so completely mis-represented by this Far Right Wacko - so much so that now even the leader of his own Conservative Party has publicly stated his complete support for the National Health Service.

British Leaders Defend Their Health Service - The Lede Blog - NYTimes.com

Ministers and medics rush to defend NHS | Society | The Guardian

Ken

Old 08-20-2009, 05:39 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
Health care in the UK is like Socail Security in the US in that its the death nail for any politicain to speak against it. Obama is starting to learn that since he said that he will fund 1/3rd of the government plan by savings in social secutiy.No democrat has joined in this in congress because of it and his rating are going down;especailly on the heathcare issue.Without clearly layng out the exact nimbers in paying for the plan now its in real trouble because of the constant changes on paying for it.Of course in teh UK everyone pays dearly in taxes and fess for their healthcare plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or