Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:27 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,825,910 times

Advertisements

Rudy is starting to lose a ton of momentum, while Romney and Thompson keep gaining. I think people are hearing about how liberal Rudy really is.

Iowa Republican Caucus

Check it out:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...a-primary.html

Now what do you think of the GOP candidates so far? Who do you like/dislike? Why?

I like Tancredo the best, but his chances are not that great and he might have to pull out of the race to run for the CO Senate seat being vacated by Allard.

Romney is my #2 favorite, since he is anti-illegal alien amnesties and he is a VERY fiscally responsible guy. I like him very much, as he is very well spoken, very articulate, as like Bill Clinton, he is good-looking, which is a muct for the female voters!

Romney '08!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 10:46 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,894,864 times
will the new PBS documentary hurt or help Romney in his climb to the nomination?

Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 AM

959 posts, read 2,357,148 times
+1 NirvanaGuy...Romney is my pick, as well. Plain spoken but quiet, with lots of experience and a record that proves he's not all talk...he is genuine but still a savvy politician...his father did wonders as Governor. I agree with his stances on almost every issue; unfortunately, gun control is not one of them...he's a Brady supporter. Otherwise, the guy is classy, sticks to his guns, and also supports drilling in ANWR AND developing alternative energy, as well as furthering economic relations with Asia....very very smart. Romney 2008!

Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 PM

595 posts, read 2,341,063 times
I'm voting Rudy. He is the most socially liberal and economically conservative.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:56 PM

793 posts, read 3,118,843 times
Again I find it nearly impossible to vote for anyone other than the Libertarian or Constitution Party candidate unless Tancredo or Thompson is the Republican nominee. Tancredo won't happen. But maybe Thompson is a viable nominee after all?
I will admit, there is part of me that might still consider Romney. As much as I'm use to the double talk and baloney spewed by politicians, there is some legitimate belief in my head that Romney is genuine on some of his platforms despite some flip-flops from years gone by. Some of his stances he took as governor of Mass really impressed me and took some real cajones in such a screwed up state.
I am bothered though still by Romeny's pandering to the "nanny state" mentality. I remember last year for example, he was in favor of a controversial bill that barely got struck down at the last second, which would have allowed Massachusetts police officers to pull motorists over for only an observed seat belt violation when there was no other cause. Some may think, "so what?" To me, that is bothersome and not only a blatant civil rights violation, but even as commander-in-chief, it can signify some things Romney would meddle with: for example, though it is none of the federal government's business in the first place, some continuation or revision of Bush's disastrous "No Child Left Behind" act which tries to put public education in the hands of our federal bureaucrats, a huge no-no. Some of the supposed small "gravy items" add up to meat and potatoes as to how one governs and his/her philosophy about government's role.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:47 PM

959 posts, read 2,357,148 times
unknown....you are right; although, I must say it's hard to believe that seat belt law wasn't in place in Mass before; it is in dang near every state I've ever been in...it's not even a question. I know what you mean about the meddling though...sometimes it is a bad sign. Like I said, Romney's also pro-Brady law, which I don't care for. But his stance on 90% of issues goes with what I believe...for example, no gay marriage, but he's ok with giving same-sex partners the right to will to eachother, help choose eachother's medical care, etc. That's compassionate.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 AM

328 posts, read 1,032,788 times
Default Do not fall asleep on Mitt Romney!!!!

This man is extremely skilled. He is quick witted, charming, photogenic, has virtually limitless resources, and are y'all ready for this: he looks "Presidential."
Upon further review is he the "Man" for the job? Venture over to the Massachusetts forum and ask the progeny of Paul Revere what they think of their former Governor. After all they had him for a few years.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:15 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,084,555 times
I'd think more than once about former Gov. Romney:

Here's his potential attitude on one issue:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...UyNmJlZmQ2NzE=

Old 05-02-2007, 11:38 AM

28 posts, read 42,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Rudy is starting to lose a ton of momentum, while Romney and Thompson keep gaining.
Who really cares who will lead the GOP into the 2008 election? They will not win the election as it is only the Democrats election to lose.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 AM

68,300 posts, read 54,222,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA1975 View Post
Who really cares who will lead the GOP into the 2008 election? They will not win the election as it is only the Democrats election to lose.

I'm sure overconfidence or underestimation on either side of the aisle would be heartily welcomed by the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections