Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 12:31 PM

722 posts, read 1,108,737 times

Advertisements

And I don't mean which party do you support either. I have certain methods I apply to my voting style.

*Don't vote according to party, even if you are Republican/Democrat, still use your own judgment when voting. If you do what your party tells you too then you might as well be a communist (which you all seem to fear so much anyways yet you often behave as one, its baffling)

*Research candidates yourself. Don't rely entirely on what others tell you.

*Listen to both sides of the debates. These are supposed to serve a purpose in your decision making. Not be used as a platform for hate.

*Don't vote or not vote for someone out of fear. Fear of Obama being black, fear of McCain dying (he is still alive and kicking in case you haven't noticed). Either way, just plain stupid.

*Realize that both candidates have strengths and weaknesses. Even if the person you support gets elected they will do things that you do not agree with. They are not running the country according to you. Get over yourself.

*Support the winner, even if you didn't vote for them. If they did something truly terrible that may be another matter but truly terrible is not defined as something that just happened to offend your precious values.

I consider this pragmatic advice for voting. I know most of you will disagree. Rather than tear apart my methods or come up with your own bizarre or dogmatic methods (always vote liberal/conservative) does anyone have any practical techniques that they use at the polls? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
I listen to the candidates, I read what they say, I don't listen to pundits telling me how to vote, and I vote for the person who seems to hold views that most closely resemble mine. That means that most of the time, I vote for the Democrat in the race, but not always.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:40 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I vote for the conservative for President. If a Democrat was more Conservative than a Republican, I'd vote for the Democrat for President. But I'd never do that for the House or Senate where there is pressure to vote the party line. I'd never vote for a conservative Democrat for Congress because the likes of Pelosi and Reid would muscle them into voting their way on bills no matter what their personal ideology is. I definitely will only support a conservative governor.

In election 2008, I followed Mrs McCain's (the mother not the wife) instructions and held my nose and voted for her son. I voted against a man (Obama) with a radical agenda and zero experience.

And speaking of experience, unless you have also run a business or a state or a large city, I'm never voting for a member of the Senate or House EVER again for President. I still can't believe we had a choice of two do-nothings in 2008.

And aisle-crossing braggarts need not apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections