Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That's not what they just said on the news - they said he was partyless but ran on both lines because they put him up.

Then again, it was Anastos (keep ......... that chicken) so who knows
They are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
The incumbent in VA was a dem; Virginia voted conservative for Gov, Nice Gov and AG, all won by 20+%, it was a beat down. By the way, you're explanation for NJ, which you conveniently ignored, where Obama won by almost 20%?

I have no explanation for NJ governor and could care less, as I could care less about Virginia or upstate New York. I live in a red congressional district and unless smart people suddenly move here, things aint gonna change much. Its that red. I dont know about Corzine, maybe big business influenced it? Corzine has had some issues in his past as well. Maybe anti Obama backlash? Maybe the smart people moved out of NJ? I dont know, really.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
NJ has had republican governors - in fact one while Clinton was in office. Too bad for NJ though - whoever it is - they promise lower taxes (property) and it never happens.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:50 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
One New Jersey and One New York Governor resigned in disgrace. Or so it seemed. Seems both of their "lifestyle choices" is behind them now, along with the Governors mansion

Old 11-03-2009, 09:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well I guess it's news, there is no bluer state than NJ but it just turned red!
That is news. It was a smashing stunning defeat for a party that has so alienated its base- people like me- by doing nothing and bowing down to Hannity and Limbaugh- that we stayed home. And Harry Reid had better get something right- or we will stay home next year as well! Change I can believe in? Ain't seen any yet. Just a 3rd Bush term!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:01 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I wasn't thrilled he over turned the law. You are wrong about him running as a Republican, he needed them for their place on the ballot. He ran as a Republican.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg will run as Republican in bid for third term

"Mayor Bloomberg will run for reelection as a Republican this fall, the Daily News has learned, after successfully courting the party to let him back on its ballot line two years after he left it."

"The mayor now gets access to the Republicans' prominent ballot line, a week after the Independence Party agreed to endorse him on their ballot line as well."
Whatever he chooses to label himself, these are his stances on the issues...

Bloomberg is pro-choice, anti-death penalty and pro-gun control. He supports stem cell research, same sex marriage and has practical solutions for environmental problems. He wants to give citizenship to immigrants and add them to the tax roles. But he is also fiscally responsible earning him the respect of the business community. I think Bloomberg is a party unto himself, but if when you think of Bloomberg, you think of him as a Democrat or Independent.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:11 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
MMMM MMMM MMMM ....Barack Hussein Obama!

Democrats made their bed with over-reaching, leftist, big-government policies in a center right country - now lay in it!

MMMM MMMM MMMM .....Barack Hussein Obama!

The best thing to happen to Republicans since Billy Clinton in 1994~!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Are we seeing the beginnings of a republican resurgence, a conservative backlash, or a whole lot of disgruntled swing voters ?
Probably a combination of all three.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Given the state of affairs, he's perfectly on route to being a one-term president

Old 11-03-2009, 11:46 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I guess we'll hear the end of the the following types of threads

"tea parties" are meaningless.
Republican party is dead.
Obama turning the economy around.
The people support the Democratic and Obamas adjenda.
Everyone blames Republicans for the recession.
No one supports the "conservative" adjenda

And who knows what else we'll see.

Now if we can keep the Republicans on the conservative adjenda and not caving into the liberal garbage we might be able to make progress.

You left out "People would support the GOP if they weren't the party of the religious right".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections