U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:03 AM

173 posts, read 247,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
You like to read: Please read Same Sex Marriage the Personal and Political it documents same sex marriage in ancient Rome. I am specifically talking about same sex marriage not pederasty though it seems you are unable to differentiate between the two.

Additionally, if it was not happening why was it specifically banned in the Theodosian code with remedies for people already in such unions.

Additionally, Same-Sex marriage occurred among several Native American tribes among two-spirit persons.

As to marriage the idea of marriage changed from breeding to romantic love in the 19th century...thus the decline in arraigned marriages around that time as well as the publication of some really good romantic fiction. Additionally if marriage was only about breeding, why are there so many married couples who have no desire to or cannot have children?

As to you being a libertarian...Sure whatever you want to think.
Same sex marriage never did occur
And I showed the differences

The second link highlights what you think of homosexuality in Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome ( the first link deals with everything )

It states that men were segregated from women until 30 and at 30 or something they would have a marriage for reproduction

Sex between males would be common and would be outside of marriage
Which was for reproduction ( marriage = reproduction )

I'm talking about Western civilization
I don't know about Native Americans much and it could have happened , it could have not happened

Why did children not occur last century ? Like you said it was too much concentration on the romantic aspect ( that's true )

Anyhow what's really odd to me is how some people paint Ancient Greece or Ancient Rome as some homosexual paradise with gay marriage legalized and forget always that marriage was never , ever legalized between the same sex and when I talk to them they balk '' Homophobic !!!!!!!!! '' or '' Gosh no ... gay marriage was legalized ! ''

It's insanity if you check the historical record

It makes sense and is supported by history that in some places of Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome :

Women for reproduction and order
Men for pleasure

Marriage was for reproduction due to a strain of thought that pleasurable sex was between males only

Anyhow I didn't know Libertarian is the same as 100 % social liberal
Where I come from Libertarian means tolerance and a strain of liberty for all

Social liberalism comes into it but sometimes it can get theocratical too

The saddest thing is that while some argue that the modern concept of family came from Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome these are the very same people that want to destroy it

For example in some circles it's believed that :

Greek man = Patriarch ( Masculine man )
Greek woman = Housewife ( Feminine woman )
Babies = Union between them

They acknowledge the family and see it in light of Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome but in their stubborness still want to destroy

I don't want what's sadder

Seeing the family and knowing that at sometime it had ties to homosexuality which made marriage for reproductive purposes while still denying this aspect and believing that it was just romantic love
or believeing that gay marriage was legalized in Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome

Marriage existed in societies which approved of homosexuality or had some homosexual aspect ( whether it was good or bad )

Instead make it a private institution , get it out of the goverment completely and make the benefits the primary for heterosexuals and homosexuals alike

Marriage is a tradition

Do you care about the tradition or the benefits ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 01:26 AM

4,420 posts, read 3,454,643 times
to have to ask this question is retarded....

Old 11-28-2009, 09:35 AM

10,009 posts, read 4,798,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia12345678910 View Post
Same sex marriage never did occur
And I showed the differences

The second link highlights what you think of homosexuality in Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome ( the first link deals with everything )

It states that men were segregated from women until 30 and at 30 or something they would have a marriage for reproduction

Sex between males would be common and would be outside of marriage
Which was for reproduction ( marriage = reproduction )

I'm talking about Western civilization
I don't know about Native Americans much and it could have happened , it could have not happened

Why did children not occur last century ? Like you said it was too much concentration on the romantic aspect ( that's true )

Anyhow what's really odd to me is how some people paint Ancient Greece or Ancient Rome as some homosexual paradise with gay marriage legalized and forget always that marriage was never , ever legalized between the same sex and when I talk to them they balk '' Homophobic !!!!!!!!! '' or '' Gosh no ... gay marriage was legalized ! ''

It's insanity if you check the historical record

It makes sense and is supported by history that in some places of Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome :

Women for reproduction and order
Men for pleasure

Marriage was for reproduction due to a strain of thought that pleasurable sex was between males only

Anyhow I didn't know Libertarian is the same as 100 % social liberal
Where I come from Libertarian means tolerance and a strain of liberty for all

Social liberalism comes into it but sometimes it can get theocratical too

The saddest thing is that while some argue that the modern concept of family came from Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome these are the very same people that want to destroy it

For example in some circles it's believed that :

Greek man = Patriarch ( Masculine man )
Greek woman = Housewife ( Feminine woman )
Babies = Union between them

They acknowledge the family and see it in light of Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome but in their stubborness still want to destroy

I don't want what's sadder

Seeing the family and knowing that at sometime it had ties to homosexuality which made marriage for reproductive purposes while still denying this aspect and believing that it was just romantic love
or believeing that gay marriage was legalized in Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome

Marriage existed in societies which approved of homosexuality or had some homosexual aspect ( whether it was good or bad )

Instead make it a private institution , get it out of the goverment completely and make the benefits the primary for heterosexuals and homosexuals alike

Marriage is a tradition

Do you care about the tradition or the benefits ?
On Gay marriage in the ancient world...You linked me write up and I linked you a researched book, btw I did look into your write-up that and the person writing it is not even a historian and has never studied or extensively researched anything homosexuality from what his credentials state. He just mix and matches out of context quotes to build a works site page that looks somewhat respectable.

You are correct libertarian does mean liberty for all...That means you do not tell people who they can marry, when or when they can and cannot divorce, how they should dress, what their sexual habits should be, what language they should use in public, what their personal views toward the rest of the world should be etc. in your OP you claim the things are going down hill because all of these things other people are doing that you do not like and then proceed to mention how we as a society should place collective disincentives/government against several of those activities (such as gay marriage and no fault divorce). I hate to break it to you but that is not all that libertarian.

If the government was out of the marriage business this would not be a problem...but, there are indeed religious groups such as FGC Quakers, reform Jews, among others that perform Gay marriages so even if government was out of it Gays would still be getting married.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 11-28-2009 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections