U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,509,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Did you stop watching CNN, Fox and other news channels
There was a time around the end of the ninties were the AP Wire was easily accessible via the Internet. It was a fun time seeing the unedited wire version get tweaked and PolicallyCorrected by some sensational editor for whatever news outlet publishing it.

Right about Y2K the CNN, NYTimes and the WaPo, all ran an AP article that reported the deaths of three settlers in the Jordan Valley. What they failed to report - which was in the wire version & was the news and most important fact of the incident - they failed to report the settlers were children aged 6, 8 and 12. And they glossed over the fact they were shot up like swiss cheese with an AK-47 by a muslim extremist.

Children were killed by a muslim extremist and the editors in collusion and from different papers, white washed the incident and slanted it. That for me was unforgivable.

I read them anymore to keep tabs on "sheep think" and to establish compass points for emerging trends. I watch O'Reilly and that's about it. With the Internet, blogosphere, social media, and translation services anymore, it gives you the tools to vet all the news aggregators and pretty much allows you to get news much faster and closer to the source.

Iran this summer is the perfect example. If you were part of it, you know we had the jump on the AP by at least a couple days. And the AP were sourcing our pics that we're RT and otherwise redisseminating from Iranian protesters and contacts two days before.

While I'm flashing back. There was also a time when the AP's satellite camera feed was unencrypted and with the old school satellite dishes you could pick up the AP's live unedited feed. Lots of graphic material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 12:27 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,488,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
Reminds me Lou Dobbs. How do the two compare?
Dobbs sometimes goes off the deep end, in my opinion. I used to like him, and on the media he was a voice crying in the wilderness regarding illegals, but then he got too extreme for me, siding with birthers and teabaggers and that wild bunch. He somehow lost his logic and became involved in issues that were geared to stir people up with emotion.

Ratigan, to me, is really a step above Dobbs. He does not seem biased in any way except to be against hypocrisy and corruption. I admire him because he really socks it to the politicos when they try to peddle 'bs' answers to legitimate questions. He told one of them 'you don't belong on this show, thinking you can give answers like that'.

There are so many talk hosts who tow the party line and now with big business influencing both parties so much I think the battle is for Americans taking ownership of the government again. Both parties, and the Libertarians, are in too much support of business getting its way to the detriment of the population.

Look at Obama's stimulus and bail out with NO conditions. Look at the Republican rejoicing of the Supreme C decision that corporations can spend as much as they want in our elections. The Libertarians believe in no constraint on business at all, which might sound ok until we think of pollution and birth defects, etc.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I've stopped as well. I was watching alot of cable news during the election run last year, but at some point this year it all seemed to get too tabloidish for me (from both the left and right).

On Fox, a democrat can do no right and a republican no wrong.

On MSNBC, a republican can do no right and democrat no wrong.

Don't any of these people have real opinions of what affects their everyday life. I can't believe these networks can only hire people with cookie-cutter ideologies. But then again, maybe I'm the crazy one to think Americans would actually want to listen to people who can think for themselves.
I used to be a laissez faire capitalist until business showed that it has no loyalty to this country. When Nafta was signed and so many jobs moved overseas I took a second look at my support of big business. I now think our party system is used to divide us with superficial differences while our American way of life is being whittled away by heavy financial interests.
I think we must stop thinking of ourselves as being members of this or that party and start thinking about what is actually happening to us. This is the first generation in which the children are not doing better than the parents. Our public schools seem, in some cases at least, to be pathetic.
Yes, I think both parties are propagandist and our news is not covering the real threats to our nation.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:42 PM

72,014 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
Have any of you been so disgusted with the tabloid aspects of journalism that you stopped watching news shows altogether? I'm not critical of the partisan nature of news sources rather I'm critical of the entertainment factor that has gotten too involved with journalism. I feel like CNN, FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC etc has become like Sports Center. No actual events or "news" is occurring but in order to have ratings, the networks discuss issues ad nauseum each day as if a major movement or action just took place. I feel like it is an incredible waste of time. Case in point, the healthcare debate/issue that is constantly being discussed on CNN and Fox. Nothing has actually happened but both sides continuously rehash the same arguments and try to create this fervor as if a major vote is occurring immediately when in reality nothing has happened, no one knows what will happen and it could be months before any significant vote or action occurs. Yet the news channels discuss it as if it's happening right now. It just seems like a lot of fluff because they have to find something to occupy their time. Of course, I have not abandoned watching the news but I no longer watch shows like Anderson 360, Hannity, Campbell Brown, O'reilly or even have the news playing in my office. I don't feel like anything is actually occurring but to fill the void, they discuss these issues ad nauseum. I don't feel like I'm learning anything by watching them rehash old arguments.
I watch a variety, normally O'Reilly which we do enjoy and like his guests and regulars except for the stupid body languange girl...We sometimes watch Hannity, rarely and we do watch some of the news earlier in the evening. We flip on MSNBC and CNN about once a week. Now, as for a waste of time? I see these programs as a form of entertainment, but all TV has become a waste of time to some degree.

Nita

Old 01-23-2010, 02:43 PM

72,014 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If I want news, I'll read a paper.
and the paper gives you a true picture?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:07 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Quote:
Have any of you been so disgusted with the tabloid aspects of journalism that you stopped watching news shows altogether? I'm not critical of the partisan nature of news sources rather I'm critical of the entertainment factor that has gotten too involved with journalism. I feel like CNN, FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC etc has become like Sports Center. No actual events or "news" is occurring but in order to have ratings, the networks discuss issues ad nauseum each day as if a major movement or action just took place. I feel like it is an incredible waste of time. Case in point, the healthcare debate/issue that is constantly being discussed on CNN and Fox. Nothing has actually happened but both sides continuously rehash the same arguments and try to create this fervor as if a major vote is occurring immediately when in reality nothing has happened, no one knows what will happen and it could be months before any significant vote or action occurs. Yet the news channels discuss it as if it's happening right now. It just seems like a lot of fluff because they have to find something to occupy their time. Of course, I have not abandoned watching the news but I no longer watch shows like Anderson 360, Hannity, Campbell Brown, O'reilly or even have the news playing in my office. I don't feel like anything is actually occurring but to fill the void, they discuss these issues ad nauseum. I don't feel like I'm learning anything by watching them rehash old arguments.
Absolutely, I stopped watching, and I do not post a much here anymore, it's this constant bickering and fake arguing.
It's a darn good thing I have a sat dish, now I'm watching the westerns channel, discovery, nasa, travel, tcm, and I live for sunday nights when deadwood comes on directv's 101. Yes, the media just makes me want to hurl. adios.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:33 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,400,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and the paper gives you a true picture?
It doesn't provide commentary on the basic facts--who, what, when, where. Doesn't say how or why.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:17 AM

744 posts, read 1,074,985 times
I will watch some of all the news on TV, and I have a relative that is on MSNBC and even that sometimes gets me upset. I think all the news out there has a bias. They try to only tell the side of the story they think their audience wants to here. I like all the facts so I can make up my own mind. The information I find most reliable comes from what I see first hand throughout the day. I wish people would not be so quick to label everyone as sheeple or Cool aid drinkers just because we tend to lean toward one channel or the other.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
I will watch some of all the news on TV, and I have a relative that is on MSNBC and even that sometimes gets me upset. I think all the news out there has a bias. They try to only tell the side of the story they think their audience wants to here. I like all the facts so I can make up my own mind. The information I find most reliable comes from what I see first hand throughout the day. I wish people would not be so quick to label everyone as sheeple or Cool aid drinkers just because we tend to lean toward one channel or the other.
I think there were once real journalists and professional ethics at one time. Now the news is so manipulated. They can often just refuse to air a story and so squash it. I get frustrated when a news story is superficial and reporters no longer dig for more information or background.

I think this country is morphing into something we will all hate. Rather, in the future all the power will be in the hands of the mega corporations and there will be little country loyalty because all the politicians will be manipulated by industry.

The only thing that I can see that would reverse this disastrous trend would be campaign financing through government sources only, which the people will never go for - because they don't see the insidious bigger picture of what is actually happening to them.

The well being of the people of this country are being leveled down similar to that of a third world country. Our schools are dumbed down, we are importing a poor and uneducated labor force, our jobs are exported, our foods are improperly inspected and imported from countries that use chemicals in growing them which are banned in this country.

Something similar is happening in Europe, but we don't have the public safety net that many European countries do, we are following the Latin American example for our future scheme, a few very very wealthy and the rest very very poor. In Europe they will tend to all be equally poor, but at least survive with a better lifestyle than will the average American.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 AM

2,660 posts, read 6,031,716 times
Yes ... I might watch Shep Smith on Fox or Chris Matthews on MSNBC ocassionally and that is about it as far as programs, outside of the 30-minute nightly national news or BBC world news. I have just become jaded to the chatter. I also do not respond much in these forums anymore. But I will definitely keep voting my moderate to progressive heart out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections