Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Considering the history of Senators elected by Massachusetts voters, yes, it is a shocker. But maybe they've suddenly changed as of tonight.
The bottom line is that this sends a clear message to the Dems: Stop the expansive liberal agenda and the federal overreach. Even if he had lost, he had put in a sufficient scare to the Democrat establishment.

All this RINO talk is nothing but sour grapes from the losing side. I am glad to see Scott Brown representing the Commonwealth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:26 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Big talk from someone who had incorrectly called it for Coakley. The voters of the Commonwealth sent the strongest rebuke to the Democratic machine by sending a Republican to fill Ted Kennedy's former seat.

Maybe we want a centrist Republican, is that a shocker?
I wasn't talking about voters in Massachusetts or even new England. I was referring to the mouths who constantly refer to Snowe and Collins as RINO's, call them every name in the book and want to kick them out of the party. Some of the same people on here who have slammed Snowe and Collins are praising Brown. I'm just pointing out that based off Brown's comments as well as his record in the State Senate, his voting record in the Senate will probably be more in line with Snowe and Collins.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
The bottom line is that this sends a clear message to the Dems: Stop the expansive liberal agenda and the federal overreach. Even if he had lost, he had put in a sufficient scare to the Democrat establishment.

All this RINO talk is nothing but sour grapes from the losing side. I am glad to see Scott Brown representing the Commonwealth!

Boy see what happens when you have sour grapes. Everything turns SOUR?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I wasn't talking about voters in Massachusetts or even new England. I was referring to the mouths who constantly refer to Snowe and Collins as RINO's, call them every name in the book and want to kick them out of the party. Some of the same people on here who have slammed Snowe and Collins are praising Brown. I'm just pointing out that based off Brown's comments as well as his record in the State Senate, his voting record in the Senate will probably be more in line with Snowe and Collins.
Smash, you should review my thread on NE Republicans, where I have called out those types of Republicans. In any case, are you denying that this is an upset for the Dems regardless of Brown's voting record? Btw, he was quite clear on the health care vote, which, in a state with universal coverage, sends the strongest rebuke to the liberal agenda.

Honestly, i didn't think he cold overcome the Democrat machine in MA, but very glad that he did.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
True, and it will hopefully help Democrats prepare better for the elections in November.

Quote:
All this RINO talk is nothing but sour grapes from the losing side.
I think it's worth discussing because he's not a hardcore conservative, and every time a Republican dares to vote with Democrats, he or she gets called a RINO. It's interesting that Democrats don't really do that. There's more room for moderates in the Democratic Party. For example, Harry Reid is pro-life. Would Republicans ever support a pro-choice Republican Senate leader?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
True, and it will hopefully help Democrats prepare better for the elections in November.

I think it's worth discussing because he's not a hardcore conservative, and every time a Republican dares to vote with Democrats, he or she gets called a RINO. It's interesting that Democrats don't really do that. There's more room for moderates in the Democratic Party. For example, Harry Reid is pro-life. Would Republicans ever support a pro-choice Republican Senate leader?
Again, he mirrors the constituency. All this talk about "hardcore" Republican or Democrat is baseless. Democrats have done that in the past, they were called DINOs. Many liberals e disillusion by President Obama and the grumblings/infighting does occur on the DEm. side as well.

Why do you folks insist on evading the main topic of the political upset in MA? I don't see ant Republicans calling him RINO, when that happens we'll deal with it.

PS: Harry Reid looking shaky in NV.

Last edited by New Englander; 01-20-2010 at 12:17 AM..

Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Smash, you should review my thread on NE Republicans, where I have called out those types of Republicans. In any case, are you denying that this is an upset for the Dems regardless of Brown's voting record? Btw, he was quite clear on the health care vote, which, in a state with universal coverage, sends the strongest rebuke to the liberal agenda.

Honestly, i didn't think he cold overcome the Democrat machine in MA, but very glad that he did.
I know you have, I wasn't referring to you in particular. I was talking about the fact that we have seen many Republican posters on here rail against Snowe and Collins, as well as the national conservative activists and talking heads (Limbaugh, Hannity, etc). Of course this is a major upset, I'm not trying to suggest otherwise. I'm simply pointing out that many of those who currently see Brown as the new hero of the right or something like that. However, he is very likely to have a voting record in the Senate similar to the two they like to call every name in the book (Snowe and Collins)

Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
He may not please the conservative wing of the GOP all of the time, but one thing for sure, he is going to be one hell of a lot better senator than anything that the citizens of Massachusetts have sent to Washington in a very long time.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I know you have, I wasn't referring to you in particular. I was talking about the fact that we have seen many Republican posters on here rail against Snowe and Collins, as well as the national conservative activists and talking heads (Limbaugh, Hannity, etc). Of course this is a major upset, I'm not trying to suggest otherwise. I'm simply pointing out that many of those who currently see Brown as the new hero of the right or something like that. However, he is very likely to have a voting record in the Senate similar to the two they like to call every name in the book (Snowe and Collins)
I agree with you there. My views are more in line with Snowe-Collins-Brown and the rest of the moderate Republicans. I don't like the Limbaugh as much as I don't like his liberal equivalents.

The blueprint for Republican success in New England is based on fiscal responsibility and conservatism while being moderate on social issues. I stand by that. I think RINO and DINO are ridiculous terms used by the extreme fringes of parties. In order to govern, you have to be nimble enough to hold on core values while working with the other side.

While this election may have garnered the national spotlight, I am hoping for additional GOP successes on the local level from House of Reps to the Governors seat. My goal is to see the New England brand of Republicanism return to the national state. Remember, many Democrats voted for Scott Brown today - the goal is to build on the success rather than being polemical about the victory.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
He may not please the conservative wing of the GOP all of the time, but one thing for sure, he is going to be one hell of a lot better senator than anything that the citizens of Massachusetts have sent to Washington in a very long time.
Absolutely. I think that John Kerry may have the foreign relations experience, is still an unremarkable Senator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections