Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:47 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,325,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Bush, but he did have business experience in the oil industry, the baseball team.

Did he have any say in the running of the team? Other then sitting in his box seat and smiling.

He was just a investor and a friend of the owner. He had originaly borrowed (from the only bank who would loan him the money - the one with close ties to him and the family) to get 1.8% of the team. The bulk of the team was bought by a financer & others who had close ties with the President of the American League, and the commissioner of baseball.

Of course Texas, up to then, played in a minor league sized ballpark, but did the investors and Bush, build a new one using their money. Nope. They went to the city and said, build us a ball park or we leave. It was said that the bush and the other owners would put up 50 mil of their money towards the 190 mil cost of the stadium, while the citizens would fund the rest with a hike in sales taxes.

(the bush group raise ticket prices to cover much of their stadium investment, which was about 20% as needed - you know who paid the rest)

So the people of Arleington gave more then 200 million in exemptions, incentives and tax increases and they didn't get any profits from it.

The owners 'bought' the ballpark by paying a lease for 12 years of 5 million.
Half of what the taxpayers investment was.

Of course they paid (in a land grab) less then .25 cents on the dollar for the land that the stadium and parking lot stood.

Bush had stated in 1990 to a Texas newspaper "...idea of making a land play, absolutely, to plunk a field down in the middle of a big piece of land has always ben the strategy "

So basically the "Bush" group, cheated the taxpayers again and again while he was part of the group. Money first. Citizens last. Another outstanding fine citizen and businessman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 AM

235 posts, read 508,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
Sounds good doesn't it?
Thanks for the laugh this morning. I really needed it.

Sarah Palin will never be President or VP. The far-right will never endorse someone like Brown.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,751,830 times
Quote:
Sounds good doesn't it?
As a liberal, that sounds excellent. The two are opposite of each other on most wedge issues. It would surely confuse the heck out of people. But I DO love me a good Palin interview: where comedy and tragedy are all entangled as one big hot mess. Good stuff!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,184,622 times
Quote:
Sounds good doesn't it?

NO, it does not sound good
Palin is a a jerk, put it to rest!
Good grief!
If Scott Brown was stupid he would have asked her to come, he is NOT stupid.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,184,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The evangelical base will never allow a nude model, who is pro choice, and pro gay marriage to run for the executive branch.

If Palin runs as the Republican nominee, it'll be a gift wrapped 4 more years for the Obama administration.

hahahaha
I am a Christain and I would have no problem voting for Scott Brown,
good grief he was 20 something, who cares??
but I want to see what kind of senator he makes
it is way too early for 2012

Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 AM

4,892 posts, read 7,384,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Did he have any say in the running of the team? Other then sitting in his box seat and smiling.

He was just a investor and a friend of the owner. He had originaly borrowed (from the only bank who would loan him the money - the one with close ties to him and the family) to get 1.8% of the team. The bulk of the team was bought by a financer & others who had close ties with the President of the American League, and the commissioner of baseball.

Of course Texas, up to then, played in a minor league sized ballpark, but did the investors and Bush, build a new one using their money. Nope. They went to the city and said, build us a ball park or we leave. It was said that the bush and the other owners would put up 50 mil of their money towards the 190 mil cost of the stadium, while the citizens would fund the rest with a hike in sales taxes.

(the bush group raise ticket prices to cover much of their stadium investment, which was about 20% as needed - you know who paid the rest)

So the people of Arleington gave more then 200 million in exemptions, incentives and tax increases and they didn't get any profits from it.

The owners 'bought' the ballpark by paying a lease for 12 years of 5 million.
Half of what the taxpayers investment was.

Of course they paid (in a land grab) less then .25 cents on the dollar for the land that the stadium and parking lot stood.

Bush had stated in 1990 to a Texas newspaper "...idea of making a land play, absolutely, to plunk a field down in the middle of a big piece of land has always ben the strategy "

So basically the "Bush" group, cheated the taxpayers again and again while he was part of the group. Money first. Citizens last. Another outstanding fine citizen and businessman.
Like I said, not a huge Bush fan, but clearly none of the above mattered to the people of Texas who elected him twice.

And, can we learn from all of this and get the media to tell the whole story on ALL the candidates. Then, maybe an eduated electorate can actually elected a qualified candidate instead of voting like it's American Idol.

Someday, it might be Brown or Palin but certainly not in 2012.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
A pro-choice Republican who believes the Massachusetts law on Gay Marriage should not be changed?? I see that going over very well with the Evangelical base......
agree, this will never happen, but the Brown thing, who knows? Let's see how he does...

Nita

Old 01-20-2010, 08:13 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,016,593 times
Quote:
Sounds good doesn't it?
Palin/Brown, definitely.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
They will be shouting RINO! RINO! HE IS A TRAITOR!

Wah.

But if I had to pick obviously Brown/Palin. I can tolerate Brown and I would not bash him endlessly like how the right does with Obama.
I hope you realize the Republicans knew what they were doing when they decided to support him. Why are you maying he is a traitor? What part of conservative fiscally and moderate socially is so hard for you to understand? many Republicans fall into this catagory the same as most sensible Democrats are the same but to the left of course.

K.Smith, R Paul is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to old.

Casper, How soon you forget Bush was Governor of one to the largest states in the union as well as had business experience. This is very different from our current Pres. but now I guess we are getting off the subject..

Nita

Old 01-20-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
No. Neither Palin or Brown have the experience to be president. Not yet at least. Give them at least until 2020. In fact, I'm not too sure about either of them. Neither seem like Goldwater conservatives, which I would prefer. To be honest, I can't think of any conservatives that I would be excited to vote for at this point. Ron Paul is the closest from a policy standpoint, but unfortunately he's bat **** crazy.
Experience wise, you may be right, look at what has happened because a candidate with no experience but charm was elected? As for Ron Paul his age is against him as well as he is a nut case...

You mention Goldwater conservative, that is like saying where is the Reagan replacement? Certain types come along rarely and we have to realize we can't replace them, but might find someone that comes close.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections