Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Unclear is what comes next. "It's bad for Obama" doesn't quite sum it up. Possible scenarios for Democrats still range from "1994" to "actually pretty OK."

Worst case scenario—and probably least likely—Brown's 41st vote in the Senate destroys health care reform and gridlocks the rest of Obama's agenda, from regulatory reform to cap-and-trade. Brown's vote might not even be necessary: Moderate Democrats, seeing the vote in Massachusetts as a referendum on health care reform, could bail even without Republicans filibustering. (Sen. Evan Bayh has already signaled his concern.) Some Democrats might even retire to avoid humiliation in 2010, while Democrats who stay and fight go down under a populist wave.

More likely, Democrats make health care work. They still have options: Pass the Senate bill in the House and send it directly to the president's desk. Or scrap all the changes to the Senate bill except for funding provisions, and pass those using the reconciliation process, which requires a bare majority rather than 60 votes. They might not even need to delay seating Brown. Democrats may still have trouble passing other legislation. But Brown probably wouldn't be the be-all-end-all obstructionist his fans think. He could well be in the Olympia Snowe mold rather than the Mitch McConnell mold. Not cooperative, exactly, but persuadable.

Meanwhile, passing health reform could help pull Democrats out of their Bay State depression and give them a major talking point on the campaign trail in 2010. (This assumes that current opposition to the bill will diminish once people actually start benefiting from it, as when Congress first passed Medicare.)

Expecting anything more seems overly optimistic for Dems. But as Brown's victory showed, a lot can change in two weeks. Even more can change in the next 10 months.

What Scott Brown's victory in Massachusetts does and doesn't mean. - By Christopher Beam - Slate Magazine

Republicans are claiming a national victory, after dumping half a million dollars into the race. Democrats are claiming Coakley didn't do enough.

It doesn't mean anything, really.

Scott Brown told voters that he would stop the current healthcare reform. Thats simply not true. The Senate can pass a reconciliation bill, avoiding a filibuster. The house can simply pass the Senate plan, and send it directly to President Obama.

As the article I posted previously says, passing a healthcare reform bill, in a congress they don't fully control, will be a good stump talking tool.

That, coupled with the fact that healthcare was the MOST liberal thing Obama was trying to pass.

Cap and trade has some Republican support, unlike healthcare. Most of the other things Obama laid out on his agenda are also more middle of the road ideas.

Another thing Brown lied about, how is he going to "bring terrorists to justice"? The Executive branch is in charge of enforcing laws, not Congress. One Senator, and a minority party isn't going to keep Guantanamo open. They also aren't going to keep terrorists from being tried in federal court either. So exactly what he is talking about.

I understand that a Republican winning in Massachusetts is a big deal. But its not really the game changer people are making it out to be. Obama loosing his third endorsed candidate isn't that big of a deal either. He didn't come in until three days ago. Not like thats going to make a huge difference in voters minds at that point.

Don't believe me, you go to Boston, and insult the Red Sox. See how long it is before you get a beat down.

Oh, and if Republicans think the next election is going to be like this, they probably are wrong. This kind of election, historically, makes the base of the party that lost come out strong.

Republicans turned this from a state election, to a national election. Dems will be spending more money now, they'll be ready. This wasn't a wake up, it was a shot across the bow. The problem with warning your enemies, is that they dig in and are ready.
the health care bill would have to drastically change to pass . The Nebraska and Louisiana purchase would have to be removed. Both are seen as buying votes and if the Dem's accept that they will be removed from office in mass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
oh really....
Lawmaker: If Republican wins, health care dead - CNBC (http://www.cnbc.com/id/34880345/ns/world_news/ - broken link)
Rep. Anthony Weiner: Health care may be 'dead' if Scott Brown wins - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

Frank: Health care dead if Coakley loses - Glenn Thrush - POLITICO.com

Old 01-20-2010, 06:47 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
all i know is that the bluest blue state just went red and i am tickled pink.
Absolutely!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Really, please support with fact.

Watch the news with a couple of hankys handy.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
They didn't go "red".
They just picked one bad choice over another.
If he doesn't follow what most the population (of the state) wants,
he will be gone, as quick as he came in.
The state is still (mostly) liberal.

(While I hate using "colors", since no state is blue or red,
it seems to be the only thing some people understand.)
As a Massachusetts resident I can tell you that Mass is not mostly liberal. It is the most liberal state but it is not mostly liberal.
The last poll that I saw of my state indicated that it was 29% liberal 30% conservative. All one has to do is talk with the people here to see that this is true. Most of what I hear from friends, family, and acquaintances is an unmistakable lean to the right.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
As a Massachusetts resident I can tell you that Mass is not mostly liberal. It is the most liberal state but it is not mostly liberal.
The last poll that I saw of my state indicated that it was 29% liberal 30% conservative. All one has to do is talk with the people here to see that this is true. Most of what I hear from friends, family, and acquaintances is an unmistakable lean to the right.

I donlt know if it is correct but I heard 50% of registered voters were Independents in Mass.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Oh, and if Republicans think the next election is going to be like this, they probably are wrong. This kind of election, historically, makes the base of the party that lost come out strong.

Republicans turned this from a state election, to a national election. Dems will be spending more money now, they'll be ready. This wasn't a wake up, it was a shot across the bow. The problem with warning your enemies, is that they dig in and are ready.
Stay strong my partisan grasshopper, so we can squash you like a bug in November of '10 and '12.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
[quote=Memphis1979;12525277]

Quote:
What Scott Brown's victory in Massachusetts does and doesn't mean. - By Christopher Beam - Slate Magazine

Republicans are claiming a national victory, after dumping half a million dollars into the race. Democrats are claiming Coakley didn't do enough.

Scott Brown told voters that he would stop the current healthcare reform. Thats simply not true. The Senate can pass a reconciliation bill, avoiding a filibuster. The house can simply pass the Senate plan, and send it directly to President Obama.
Sure, if all the Dems in the House want to commit political suicide.

Quote:
Another thing Brown lied about, how is he going to "bring terrorists to justice"? The Executive branch is in charge of enforcing laws, not Congress. One Senator, and a minority party isn't going to keep Guantanamo open. They also aren't going to keep terrorists from being tried in federal court either. So exactly what he is talking about.
Wow, you even put it in quotations marks. Scott Brown never said that! He never even intimated it. So whose lying now?

Quote:
I understand that a Republican winning in Massachusetts is a big deal. But its not really the game changer people are making it out to be. Obama loosing his third endorsed candidate isn't that big of a deal either. He didn't come in until three days ago. Not like thats going to make a huge difference in voters minds at that point.
Most people have not made up their minds until election day. Massachusetts boasts a 51% populace that is not enrolled in either party or are enrolled independent. Therefore they are the most likely to be swayed in the few days leading to the election.

Quote:
This kind of election historically makes the President move to the center.

Quote:
Yeah, good luck with that!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Unclear is what comes next. "It's bad for Obama" doesn't quite sum it up. Possible scenarios for Democrats still range from "1994" to "actually pretty OK."

Worst case scenario—and probably least likely—Brown's 41st vote in the Senate destroys health care reform and gridlocks the rest of Obama's agenda, from regulatory reform to cap-and-trade. Brown's vote might not even be necessary: Moderate Democrats, seeing the vote in Massachusetts as a referendum on health care reform, could bail even without Republicans filibustering. (Sen. Evan Bayh has already signaled his concern.) Some Democrats might even retire to avoid humiliation in 2010, while Democrats who stay and fight go down under a populist wave.

More likely, Democrats make health care work. They still have options: Pass the Senate bill in the House and send it directly to the president's desk. Or scrap all the changes to the Senate bill except for funding provisions, and pass those using the reconciliation process, which requires a bare majority rather than 60 votes. They might not even need to delay seating Brown. Democrats may still have trouble passing other legislation. But Brown probably wouldn't be the be-all-end-all obstructionist his fans think. He could well be in the Olympia Snowe mold rather than the Mitch McConnell mold. Not cooperative, exactly, but persuadable.

Meanwhile, passing health reform could help pull Democrats out of their Bay State depression and give them a major talking point on the campaign trail in 2010. (This assumes that current opposition to the bill will diminish once people actually start benefiting from it, as when Congress first passed Medicare.)

Expecting anything more seems overly optimistic for Dems. But as Brown's victory showed, a lot can change in two weeks. Even more can change in the next 10 months.

As the article I posted previously says, passing a healthcare reform bill, in a congress they don't fully control, will be a good stump talking tool.

That, coupled with the fact that healthcare was the MOST liberal thing Obama was trying to pass.

Cap and trade has some Republican support, unlike healthcare. Most of the other things Obama laid out on his agenda are also more middle of the road ideas.

Don't believe me, you go to Boston, and insult the Red Sox. See how long it is before you get a beat down.

Good post; nice job; a more-refined health care bill is still a good possibility..

Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Watch the news with a couple of hankys handy.

I'm not a democrat or a republican so I could care less. My point is any troll can make accusations and not support it with FACT which is what most people on here do anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections