Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Brown was a much more likable candidate than Martha was. If there is a message to be sent to other parties, it's to run people that the public can identify with.
Or who care enough to actually campaign for office instead of going on vacation, as Coakley did.

The contempt shown by the Democrats for the Mass voters was/is palpable. The attitude of the lefty talking heads (Matthews, Maddow, Olberman, et al) on election night was a sort of offended incomprehensibility: "How DARE the voters do this? Didn't they know that that was Teddy's seat, in perpetuity?"

It is this unpleasant mix of the "progressive" and the oligarchic which keeps the Democrats' credibility low -- matching that of the utterly vulgar Republicans, with their Sarah Palins and Larry Craigs -- and leaves the voting public unconvinced of either party's efficacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Or who care enough to actually campaign for office instead of going on vacation, as Coakley did.

The contempt shown by the Democrats for the Mass voters was/is palpable. The attitude of the lefty talking heads (Matthews, Maddow, Olberman, et al) on election night was a sort of offended incomprehensibility: "How DARE the voters do this? Didn't they know that that was Teddy's seat, in perpetuity?"

It is this unpleasant mix of the "progressive" and the oligarchic which keeps the Democrats' credibility low -- matching that of the utterly vulgar Republicans, with their Sarah Palins and Larry Craigs -- and leaves the voting public unconvinced of either party's efficacy.
Matthews here grilled Dean when Dean claimed how the vote was actually for Dean's agenda.
Hot Air » Blog Archive » Howard Dean: Brown won because ObamaCare isn’t liberal enough or something

Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,764,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Poll Shouts The Message Massachusetts Voters Were Sending | OurFuture.org

(Emphasis mine)

Please know many on THE LEFT wanted a public option and the Senate health care bill does NOT include a public option. That is for all of you who think "THE LEFT" caused Massachusetts to vote for Brown.
Where is Karnak (sp?) when he's REALLY needed?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:25 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Brown was a much more likable candidate than Martha was. If there is a message to be sent to other parties, it's to run people that the public can identify with.

Not too bad on the eyes now, is he. Good looking family to.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Ok you can stop posting this now.

Massachusetts the most liberal state in the union voted a Republican into Ted kennedy's seat.

Deal with it.
Vermont is the most liberal state in the US
I don't care that Brown won - I just don't like this "liberal" spin - because a real Liberal would never vote Republican

Massachusetts has had a Republican Governor since 1991 up until 2007. I am simply pointing out that voters of Mass. do not think Health Care reform GOES FAR ENOUGH. If I could have voted in Mass. I would have voted for Joseph Kennedy - Libertarian, but I can see why folks in the burbs voted for Brown. Brown did loose Boston - you know, the liberal part of the state

Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Vermont is the most liberal state in the US
I don't care that Brown won - I just don't like this "liberal" spin - because a real Liberal would never vote Republican

Massachusetts has had a Republican Governor since 1991 up until 2007. I am simply pointing out that voters of Mass. do not think Health Care reform GOES FAR ENOUGH. If I could have voted in Mass. I would have voted for Joseph Kennedy - Libertarian, but I can see why folks in the burbs voted for Brown. Brown did loose Boston - you know, the liberal part of the state

HA HA HA so this is the new spin? If a liberal voted for a Republican they are not a "real" liberal? Wait! This is what the left wingers say about blacks that vote for Republicans, they are not "real" blacks.

You guys paying attention to this madness? HA HA HA HA

Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Matthews here grilled Dean when Dean claimed how the vote was actually for Dean's agenda.
Hot Air » Blog Archive » Howard Dean: Brown won because ObamaCare isn’t liberal enough or something
Check out Chris's earlier appearances, though. He was filled wth despair. Besides -- even Matthews couldn't ignore the absurdity of Dean's position.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Check out Chris's earlier appearances, though. He was filled wth despair. Besides -- even Matthews couldn't ignore the absurdity of Dean's position.
That was my point - Dean should have avoided "overspinning" this. When Matthews calls you on it, things dont look good.

By the same token, I think some Republicans are also over spinning this.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:06 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
And the polling backs up Dr. Dean's position.
The Dems and Independents who voted for Brown actively rejected the compromises and the 'playing nice' that produced a lousy piece of legislation, thereby following Dr. Dean's entreaty to 'kill the bill.' From where I sit, one of the major differences between 'left' and 'right' today is that the 'left' votes their conscience regardless of what letter follows a candidate's name. Contrary to what some may think, I think the MA voters are some very smart people.

Something else that Dr. Dean said during that interview that I imagine he is absolutely right about - if he had still been DNC chair, MA would not have gone 'R'. Coakley would not have been the Democratic candidate and whoever was would have actually campaigned like he or she cared. I'm actually kind of glad Brown won - no one should ever take the responsibilities of elected office for granted.

And, I applaud the writer who said yesterday that Tim Kaine should be fired.

Cenk Uygur: Should Tim Kaine Be Fired?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
HA HA HA so this is the new spin? If a liberal voted for a Republican they are not a "real" liberal? Wait! This is what the left wingers say about blacks that vote for Republicans, they are not "real" blacks.

You guys paying attention to this madness? HA HA HA HA
Not all blacks are liberal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections