Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:16 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,342 times

Advertisements

How about Cookie Monster for president?

This thread is so 2nd grade.

BTW, Bill would probably win considering that most of America has an IQ under 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 01:30 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
How about Cookie Monster for president?

This thread is so 2nd grade.

BTW, Bill would probably win considering that most of America has an IQ under 100.
About the IQ thing; where did that stat come from?? I'm a pretty quick study, and I like Bill very much, although I'm not sure he'd be the right pick for Pres!

I am constantly amazed that people respond to a thread they think is beneath them, just to mock it. So high school, dude! Come on, if you think it's silly, let us idiots enjoy it and post elsewhere!

Old 05-29-2007, 01:33 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
If you read up in the thread I posted an attack O'Reilly did in which a caller simply uttered the name of another talk show host and O'Reilly screamed that Fox had the guy's phone number and that Fox security would soon be knocking on his door. O'Reilly has attacked many of his guests and those guests later outline how their interviews were edited, leaving out many of their most factual points. It's not that he's a 'conservative' per se, it's that he treats his guests like crap whenever they dare question anything he supports. While I don't watch him whenever I can (!), there are bound to be a few positions he and I would agree on. In general, however, the man is not Presidential quality and the mere suggestion sets off my "Extremely Stupid Idea" sensors.
mhouse, where do these interviewed people talk about how the interview was selectively edited? This is a genuine request for info, not meant to tick u off. I just have a different perspective; I've seen the ol' Bill get pretty adamant with his guests, but usually those particular guests have just said something totally unbelievably ignorant, (in my eyes), so I guess I've given him some slack that may be undeserved.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:12 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
mhouse, where do these interviewed people talk about how the interview was selectively edited? This is a genuine request for info, not meant to tick u off. I just have a different perspective; I've seen the ol' Bill get pretty adamant with his guests, but usually those particular guests have just said something totally unbelievably ignorant, (in my eyes), so I guess I've given him some slack that may be undeserved.
Sorry, I can't direct you to any specific website. I've read accounts where the guest is put in a compromising position before the interview (in the sense that they have no idea what's coming to them, kept in the dark), etc. I know of an account in an Al Franken book where he describes his O'Reilly experience. I know the interviews are edited and people have complained that their statements were edited to look bad or imply the opposite of their intent. I just can't recall every place I've read this. Since O'Reilly is called out so many times for his misinformation, I think I'd weigh the sheer volume of these accounts over anything he has to say. I would argue that it does indeed appear that O'Reilly cares for America and many like him for that, but it just seems that the version of America he supports looks like a neocon fascist dictatorship in disguise.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:24 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
The fact that O'Reilly said he wanted to rub a woman down in the shower with a FALAFEL almost makes me like him.

But then I see him acting like a jacka** on TV and in less than 30 seconds I'm ready to turn him off. For being the "No Spin Zone" I sure as hell get dizzy watching his show. Rubbish.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
The fact that O'Reilly said he wanted to rub a woman down in the shower with a FALAFEL almost makes me like him.

But then I see him acting like a jacka** on TV and in less than 30 seconds I'm ready to turn him off. For being the "No Spin Zone" I sure as hell get dizzy watching his show. Rubbish.
A man who claims high moral standards caught in a sex scandal. Whatever happened to that sexual harassment suit against O‘Reilly?

I love it when a**holes like O‘Reilly and Rush get caught. And ppl still listen to these morons.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:49 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
See how much hatred you Liberals have. You should listen to yourselves. It's sad. Maybe some therapy would help you get over your issues.
H.L Mencken defined a Demagogue as "One who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots"

One well known and often cited internet source, Wikipedia, says:
"Demagogues may make use of logical fallacies, though persuasion may require no use of logic. While it may not rely heavily upon outright lies, the use of half-truths, omissions, and distortions are what define demagogy — it is, in essence, giving bad-faith arguments for the purpose of political gain."

"Demagogue"
Noun
"A leader who obtains power by means of impassioned appeals to the emotions and prejudices of the populace."
(insert photo of Bill O'Reilly ...[here])

Old 05-29-2007, 02:50 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Sorry, I can't direct you to any specific website.
Here's one...

The Facts vs. "The O'Reilly Factor," Freethought Today, December 2000

In the transcript section, see if you can count up how many times O'Reilly interrupts his guest...

Old 05-29-2007, 02:56 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
A man who claims high moral standards caught in a sex scandal. Whatever happened to that sexual harassment suit against O‘Reilly?

I love it when a**holes like O‘Reilly and Rush get caught. And ppl still listen to these morons.
Amen to that! It's unbelievable how many people blindly follow guys like Bill and Rush, no matter how moronic the arguments/statements they make, and no matter what compromising situations they're repeatedly caught in.

By the way, the two parties in the sexual harassment litigation settled for a publicly undisclosed amount (purported to be $millions).

Old 05-29-2007, 03:06 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I agree, Jackie Kennedy was a calculating woman! And that is one thing both these former 1st Ladies had in common! Hilary stayed with Bill because she knew it would help her in her bid for the office she coveted from the start!

As someone mentioned it appears the concept of forgiveness seems to have flown the coop here.

I guess it's only acceptable for Laura to forgive hubby's substance abuse but democrats cannot earn forgiveness? And there've been rumors that Laura will file for divorce when GWB leaves office. Wouldn't THAT generate some more grist for this electronic rumor mill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections