Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:13 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,233,065 times

Advertisements

Unlike 2008, I don't think the people of NC will be as quick to re-elect Price.

Lawson To Enter NC 4th Congressional District Primary - Katy's Conservative Corner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 12:17 AM

22,140 posts, read 19,357,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post

Lawson To Enter NC 4th Congressional District Primary - Katy's Conservative Corner
Not a chance in hell....

You realize this district is in the heart of the Research Triangle?? Covers portions of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill... This isn't a marginal district, nor is it just a Democratic leaning district. This is a liberal and heavily Democratic district. Obama won it 63-36, the GOP holds only one seat that went stronger for Obama than NC-4, and well that took a major scandal and $90,000 in a freezer for the GOP to win, and will be a Dem pickup this year. This district isn't even remotely competitive.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,680,909 times
I say the same! No way! Liberal area! Way, way to liberal!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 AM

22,140 posts, read 19,357,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
I say the same! No way! Liberal area! Way, way to liberal!
While it isn't exactly the most Democratic district in the south (though it still is heavily Democratic), NC-4 is probably the most liberal district in the south.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 AM

10,812 posts, read 14,879,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not a chance in hell....

You realize this district is in the heart of the Research Triangle?? Covers portions of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill... This isn't a marginal district, nor is it just a Democratic leaning district. This is a liberal and heavily Democratic district. Obama won it 63-36, the GOP holds only one seat that went stronger for Obama than NC-4, and well that took a major scandal and $90,000 in a freezer for the GOP to win, and will be a Dem pickup this year. This district isn't even remotely competitive.
Exactly!

I remember September and some people were thinking a republican could take Kennedy's senate seat in Massachusetts. Haha, what a laugh that was!

Everyone knew there was no way in heck a republican could win in Massachusetts. Think about it, it's Kennedy's seat and Massachusetts is bluer than blue and won by Obama by a margin similar to 63-36.

Just laughable how some people can make silly predictions like that.

A republican taking Kennedy's seat!

The message of Massachusetts is Republicans can win anywhere.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not a chance in hell....

I'm aware as I live here. Lawson was right next to Obama's people at the Carrboro Farmer's market and was making friends with his supporters. He actually has pro-Obama folks (at least pro-Obama in 2008, not so much now) coming to his announcement speech tonight. We're meeting at his house in Apex and my pro-Obama (again, back in 2008 was pro-Obama until the Monsanto lobby hire and GM) fiancee is helping out with the campaign. She's still grudgingly an Obama supporter but as of right now plans to sit out 2012 rather than vote for someone she's not too excited about, I guess keeping the faith that he'll change his ways. The 2008 loss was primarily due to straight party ticket zombies. Don't think there'll be anywhere near that amount this time around.

While triangle folks are somewhat liberal, they also see Lawson's push for a new local currency in Pittsboro and his focus on local sustainable businesses. That resonates very well with the crunchy granola crowd. Plus, the others were laid off and are mad as h*ll so anyone but the incumbent is also another message.

Should be fun!

Last edited by summers73; 02-10-2010 at 08:36 AM..

Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Exactly!

I remember September and some people were thinking a republican could take Kennedy's senate seat in Massachusetts. Haha, what a laugh that was!

Everyone knew there was no way in heck a republican could win in Massachusetts. Think about it, it's Kennedy's seat and Massachusetts is bluer than blue and won by Obama by a margin similar to 63-36.

Just laughable how some people can make silly predictions like that.

A republican taking Kennedy's seat!

The message of Massachusetts is Republicans can win anywhere.
Right on! BJ Lawson will have a much easier time than Scott Brown because there's not the anti-Bush "anything but a Republican" message this time around. Plus, there are still plenty of NC natives in the Carrboro/Chapel Hill/Durham area. We also have Don Frantz (a very highly respected local businessman) running for NC house and he'll be supporting Lawson's effort.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:45 PM

Haha!!! David Price refused to come in for the radio interview going on now between Lawson and Roche, even though the federal government is closed for 3 days.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:08 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,362,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post

Lmao, Price will win re-election no problem. Do you know much about the NC 4th district?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Lmao, Price will win re-election no problem. Do you know much about the NC 4th district?
I live in the district and I work with Duke and UNC students, some of whom are (very recently) Lawson converts since his feb 9th announcement. They wouldn't have gone for Roche, but...

So, why do you think Price will win? Is it just because he's David Price and he's in the 4th? I mean, that logic worked until Brown won a much more liberal region than the triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections