Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:15 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
No, only if you were to assume all states would possess the same amount of electoral votes. Basically it is a "middle ground" between the current set-up and a system solely based on popular votes.

It should at least work out to popular vote being more heavily weighted, I just don't see a reason why one person's vote should have any more value than any other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 02:35 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
Popular vote will not work nor be fair to states that do not have the population of some cities. What the people of NYC, LA, SF or other densely populated areas want likely will not float or work in the rural areas of the country.
You'll end up with a political system that is to heavily slanted to the urban areas and the rural areas that make up most of the country land-wise will feel shafted and then the real problems start.
Even with the current system I don't like it as right now states with a lot of electoral votes get all the attention, money, funding, and the states with very few electoral votes get the short in of the stick as unimportant and un-needed.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:01 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Popular vote will not work nor be fair to states that do not have the population of some cities. What the people of NYC, LA, SF or other densely populated areas want likely will not float or work in the rural areas of the country.
You'll end up with a political system that is to heavily slanted to the urban areas and the rural areas that make up most of the country land-wise will feel shafted and then the real problems start.
Even with the current system I don't like it as right now states with a lot of electoral votes get all the attention, money, funding, and the states with very few electoral votes get the short in of the stick as unimportant and un-needed.
That would be fine, if most of the people in the United States want a president or a policy then they should get it. The EC was brought about because most in power didn't trust the average voter. The elite in America thought they could better control who was elected to the presidency by rigging the system with the EC. It should be changed. I realize it won't be changed. But it should be.

The EC is very similar to the 3/5 compromise in my opinion. Rich people in charge trying to rig the system. A persons vote shouldn't count less just because he lives in a big city, any more than a black man shouldn't be counted as 3/5ths of a person.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:01 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I'm maybe missing something here but how does it somehow become more fair when individual votes don't carry the same weight?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:33 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cspeaker View Post
I think we should elect our president by popular vote, not the traditional electoral vote (which I think is outdated anyway). As we learned the hard way, having a president that does not represent MOST American's choice can have negative consequences. Let's update the way we elect our leader!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The EC was outdated when cities got so big they skewed the entire state.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
The only and the MOST IMPORTANT office that any American votes for is the only office that the majority of voters don't always decide who is elected. There is something very wrong with that process, and it has proved to be a disaster for this country.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:45 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
I was all for getting rid of the electoral college.... in 2000.......

Old 11-04-2008, 07:45 PM

511 posts, read 658,536 times
Al Gore won the popular vote...

Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I say put it to a vote, and let the American people decide...

Bud
Agree one person, one vote.
I said this in the 6th grade and I still believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthoughts View Post
Al Gore won the popular vote...
And he should have won on those grounds.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:47 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
we would not have had George Bush for 8!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections