Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:10 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,034 times

Advertisements

OK VAFury......I'll keep an open mind on Old Obama...

After all.....There seems to be "slim pickens" out there....(with the other choices)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 08:37 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,604 times
Migee, I'm not trying anything. I simply admit that I should have looked at more than one source before forming any opinion. As a Republican, I disagree with MUCH of Obama's rhetoric, but as an American, it is my duty to form my political opinions in an informed manner. Unfortunately, more and more, the news outlets tend to make it difficult for the public to be accurately informed.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:51 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
his rhetoric shows that he is not right for the job as President.

I'm sure this seems like rhetoric to those who would never experience these matters he speaks of. It must be euphoric to live in a society where you would never witness the situations he speaks of.

Please ask someone if they have experienced the things that are mentioned, then have a dialogue with them on the issues.

One reason for the great divide is that some would dismiss his statements as "rhetoric" and then sit by in astonishment as these "quiet riots" erupt into actual riots.
Most people automatically went into rabid attack mode when this was originally posted, saying he was doing what a black person would always do, pander to black people on an issue that has no merit.
Again the people who would say it has no merit are the same people who never has to experience the issues he speaks on.
Let's be honest, the biggest issue that precludes Obama from being president is that he may attempt to address some issues specific to black people, and if white people don't believe that those issues are valid or are simply "rhetoric" in their mind then they should not be issues in black people or anyone else's mind, and the fact that his skin is a little too dark.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:04 PM

164 posts, read 463,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Marya - I do not understand your question (?)...If it is a question (rather than a placement of responsibility), then my answer would be that I think they are still doing quite poorly....There are indeed horrible problems through-out the world for many people of all races.
Sorry; I wasn't very clear. I meant to say that if the immigrants who come here, black ones included, generally have a more optimistic attitude toward the United States than most native blacks, and if we don't hear as many of them complaining about the past, it's probably because their past is not in this country. I'm sure that lots of people in their original countries also focus more on the "what-was" than on what they can do in the "what-is." And even in cases where the immigrants themselves have been mistreated, their bitterness and anger is toward whoever treated them badly in their homelands, not the country that took them in. It makes sense that people who have more of a personal connection to the injustices in American domestic history are warier than people who don't.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:28 PM

14 posts, read 79,626 times
this makes very good sence. I am white but I have done my share of griping
and when it comes down to it,you are right be responsible take charge quit whining and do something for yourself. I know personaly 3 displaced refugees
living in our apatments we manage for a usda subsidized company. they are more than content to stay in our town which was before they were placed here
95%white 3% native american 2%asian add that up. at any rate they are not angry in any way, they dont want to go back and they could if they wanted to.they live in very nice apartments, better than i live.when this hit me over the head like a rock. it was me that was complaing, and yes i hate big business, but where would we be without them? like it or not we ALL have the same oportuities and we make our own beds today, so dont be angry when you need to go to sleep in them. I for one am not going to gripe anymore am changing my stautus by changing location and job with little or nothing to start with.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:25 PM

160 posts, read 600,887 times
{Sigh} same opportunities my you know what.
Oh well, there was an interesting documentary about the KKK on National Geographic channel some of you might be interested in. I'm not trying to be funny at all, perhaps looking at the black/white civil rights issue from another perspective might open your eyes to some things. Some of your beloved illegals might be in very different situations if they were faced with ORGANIZED intimidation and systematic repression from so many levels of the economic, political and social fabric of America. Migee I could not disagree with you more on how you view the plight of Hispanic immigrants into this country, but obviously you either don't meet people who are the majority in that situation or won't see it for what it is. So many people have already addressed that I won't any further.
I haven't been on in 3 days so there was alot to read through, but thanks to the person who posted that article! Notice it still didn't get through to the main "rioters" anyway. Big suprise.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:32 PM

160 posts, read 600,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Jdiddy, VA Fury and Scholar...Nice try...Very noble statements (towards the Obama campaign)...But, the discusssions of the thread did not divert away from the root of what he said, and apparently, what is part of his campaigning tactic - Getting the votes of inner city African Americans and sympathetic liberals with the old reliable "...poor victims of a biased system" rhetoric.

Again, we've all heard this for too long now. And, in a simple summary - The fact is that the long heard argument that there are no jobs of value available for the 10 million or so unemployed African American males has been proven wrong. As during the past decade, there are about 20 million illegals that came into this country looking for work, and they have it... They are working.

And, it is true that many of the jobs are low wage. But, there are also many that are paying very good wages.

And, the most significant fact is, that if the African American community itself had focused their (political) attention and efforts on the job market, rather than on social service and entitlements, the economic and political landscape of this country would be much different today. And much better for them.

They, and others that claim to be concerned with their plight, should have been actively working against the flow of illegal immigrants from the start... As this great flow did not happen overnight.

And, the simple economics are, if the flow of illegals was stopped at the beginning, overall wages in this country would have gone up considerably - Making many more jobs much more economically rewarding... Simple supply and demand.

So, the sum of it all is...Perhaps Obama is a nice guy, and I am sure very competent...But, his rhetoric shows that he is not right for the job as President.

I think Migee's pandering to a thread that does't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections