Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not want to give any police the right to ask any person for their "papers" without any reason but the vague suspicion that they might be here illegally. "Papers, please." is the tyrants call. This is a far bigger problem than illegal immigrants fighting over drug territories. Why are the State and Federal police failing to curb this threat using conventional methods of infiltration, intelligence collection and just plain old fashioned police work. Maybe Arizona is too cheap to hire enough cops.

OP - considering how far the Republicans, principally using proposition 13, have dragged California they should fear their fellow travelers in Arizona. I believe the Republicans are toast in CA as the people realize they are paying for a paradise for the uber wealthy with the taxes on the middle class.

Your opinion is just that opinion, many in California would totally disagree with you.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 03:53 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
I do not want to give any police the right to ask any person for their "papers" without any reason but the vague suspicion that they might be here illegally. "Papers, please." is the tyrants call. This is a far bigger problem than illegal immigrants fighting over drug territories. Why are the State and Federal police failing to curb this threat using conventional methods of infiltration, intelligence collection and just plain old fashioned police work. Maybe Arizona is too cheap to hire enough cops.
24 states have "stop and identify" laws that require an individual to identify themselves when requested. Generally the requirement is filled simply by presenting your driver's license. Most statutes only require reasonable suspicion for you to be detained on the spot, after which you must provide identification.

Your state of New Hampshire is among the 24.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:12 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:

OP - considering how far the Republicans, principally using proposition 13, have dragged California they should fear their fellow travelers in Arizona. I believe the Republicans are toast in CA as the people realize they are paying for a paradise for the uber wealthy with the taxes on the middle class.

Prop 13 was passed by a Grass Roots movement by nearly 2/3 of California Voters...

No matter how you look at it... 2/3 of California IS NOT Republican

Old 05-07-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Prop 13 was passed by a Grass Roots movement by nearly 2/3 of California Voters...

No matter how you look at it... 2/3 of California IS NOT Republican
not even then!!! Ca has never been 2/3 Republican

Nita

Old 05-08-2010, 03:00 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not to the extent that Obama's has, even after he has been the President for more than a year. Why is that?
I have no idea.....I'm not a birther and I could care less about Obama's birth certificate. You're question was has it been to any of the others and I answered you.....it's been done twice to McCain.....so now it's yes but, not whole year after becoming presidents. I don't know....maybe if McCain had been elected it would still be happening to him....let me go see if I can find someone with a crystal ball to tell me for sure.

Some birthers still question him....so what, who gives crap about "some" birthers. You're not going to be satisfied until you never hear the issue brought up again? It's nine years now since 911 and you still got people talking about it being U.S. goverment cover-up....and I've heard some polls say it's as much as 20% of the country. I don't buy that, blow it off....forget about it....those people have political agendas IMO.

Quote:
You've gotta be kidding me, right? You know this has nothing to do with what "the left" is doing. Don't try to spin away the truth. For most of the past century and this one, the Republicans have been the party with the most anti-minority agenda.
No I'm not kidding....I don't have to spin anything....I don't have an agenda....I don't support either party. That's about all the dems do lately....they have a whole bunch not even trying to get re-elected because they know they're going to....they'd rather let another dem try at it but, they need to stop trying to make everyone believe all this negative junk and get real...it's going to backfire on them if they keep doing it.

We're talking about what's happening currently, not the last 110 years but, if you want to we can. Are you aware of the fact that all the way up through the civil rights movement, the south was democratic? Maybe you're confusing big business and the working class during the time of the great depression, when all the unions started to form. The democratic party represented the working class and the unions....and the republican party, big business.....the line separating the two is quite fuzzy these days.

Compared to the 20's, 30's and 40's, the percentage of citizens that are members of unions has shrunk considerably. In the big cities, there are still a lot of union members (construction, government, etc.) but, the big ones....the teamsters and the auto workers have really kind of shot themselves in the foot. The mafia's involvement back when Hoffa was still around, really put a dark cloud over the teamsters. The UAW negotiated so aggresively with the big three, that when the Japanese imports started showing up in this country, it was the beginning of a long decline for the UAW in Detroit. My father owned a commercial laundry with 40 employees, he worked 80+ hours a week and we we're a little lower than middle class probably. I had friends who's fathers worked at the Ford or the GM plant on the assembly line and they we're middle class or a bit above it...they retired with pensions, insurance, etc.

Quote:
Yes, and is it not true that the vast majority of Republicans are white, and that Michael Steele notwithstanding, they express the views and the interests of whites, especially rich whites and, before the Tea Partiers, at least, angry whites? When do you hear Democrats raging about "culture wars" and "taking back our country?"
It's all about race to you because you keep making it about race....."rich whites"...."angry whites".....you actually mention Michael Steele because he's black. Who were the angry whites during the Bush administration.

My grandfather came here from Italy in the early 1900's (actually all my grandparents came from Europe around that time), they all belonged to a minority group when they got here, they were all white and they were all poor (flat broke actually) but, self sufficient (they had gardens, chickens, a cow, pigs, etc...). None of them died wealthy, just self suffucient.

You have lots of immigrants coming here from Russia now....they're all white but, they're a minority group....you can't keep using terms like minorities, non-whites, immigrants when it's in your best interest.....they're not always interchangable.

When the republican party says they want to take back our country, you're turning it into the "rich whites.....angry whites" want to take back their country.

They're talking about not letting government just keep growing and growing....and they're talking about capitalism.....the American dream. My father sold his business in central NJ (the land, building, equipment, all the accounts, the vehicles....everything) in 1980 when he retired (at age 59). He didn't think anyone was going to want it and he was planning on just closing the doors when it was time to retire. Some commercial realtor came through one day and told him he had a Korean family in NYC that might be interested in buying his business. The whole family (the mom & dad, their children and their spouses and all their children) lived in one apartment in the city. My dad ended up retiring a little early....but, first the two oldest Korean sons came and lived with my mom & dad in their house for three months while my father taught them how to run the entire business. He only got $100,000 for the business and he had to carry the loan too....for ten years.

The whole family moved to NJ....they all worked at the laundry.....it's now longer around...it's long gone. They ran the laundry for about 15-20 years and it allowed them to all buy their own homes (a total of 4, including the mom & dad) and they bought 3 dry cleaners (one for each family, the mom & dad retired).

That's how it's done, that's the American dream...that's the way always been done.

Quote:
When have whites been a minority in American history? It will happen soon, of course, but it is still not the case right now.
You're problem again is that you keep saying things like "the whites"....you're the one with the racist mentality but, you don't seem to get that.

Let's try it a different way. The founding fathers (whom you would refer to as "the whites") were from England. Up until the Civil War, other than the African slaves and Native Americans the country was made up of people froom England ancestry (I know there were others but, that was the bulk of it). It was shortly after the war, that the population of the country really took off with all the immigrants that started coming here from Europe (immigrants....do you understand that but, you call them "whites").

It's the melting pot here....we're all Americans (if you have citizenship or were born here). I'm have at least 4 different ethnic backgrounds in me...my nieces have at least 6...one has a husband who's parents are both U.S. citizens originally from Mexico....so, they have 3 children from at least 7 different ethnic backgrounds....so tell me, are their children "whites".....latino......are they minorites?

They're Americans.

Quote:
I don't think it's harsh at all, and I would rather trust this country to Nancy Pelosi than I would Sarah Palin. In a heartbeat.
The point is, you really don't know her....to be making personal insults about her. I don't like Nancy Pelosi but, I wouldn't make personal insults about her.....I don't like her politics.

I wouldn't want either one running the country....the thing is, one doesn't even hold a public office any more....the other does and it's third in line to the presidency....if the president and vice-president are not able to run the country for some reason......Palin won't.

Quote:
I actually never disliked McCain - still don't really, but I didn't like the politician he had to become during his campaign against Obama.
Why, what politician had he become. You know a lot of the negative stuff that got brought up about Obama started in the primaries from Bill and Hillary and maybe some from Edwards.

Quote:
If McCain was not a viable candidate, and even if he were one, fact remains that he lost to a person who I believe was the better candidate, and a person whom the majority of Americans believed was the better candidate.
Well what you're saying now, isn't what you said before...you're saying things that make sense now, this is what you said before:

Quote:
No viable candidate on your side meant a win for the best candidate.
Quote:
Did you see any Palin rallies? Before, during or after the last Presidential campaign? All that "real American" jazz?
No....did it say democrats weren't real Americans or did it say republicans were real Americans?

Old 05-08-2010, 10:45 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Your opinion is just that opinion, many in California would totally disagree with you.

Nita
Not enough to overturn a Democratic majority that happened to coincide with a certain proposition, however.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I have no idea.....I'm not a birther and I could care less about Obama's birth certificate. You're question was has it been to any of the others and I answered you.....it's been done twice to McCain.....
Not to the extent that it has been done to Obama.

Quote:
Some birthers still question him....so what, who gives crap about "some" birthers. You're not going to be satisfied until you never hear the issue brought up again?
No, I will not be satisfied until I never hear the issue brought up again, because it is beyond idiotic that people continue to question the legitimacy of this President.

Quote:
We're talking about what's happening currently, not the last 110 years but, if you want to we can. Are you aware of the fact that all the way up through the civil rights movement, the south was democratic?
You cannot discuss the history of this country without discussing all of it. That said, of course I know that the South was Democratic. That has nothing to do with the way politics evolved post-LBJ and Nixon.

Quote:
It's all about race to you because you keep making it about race....."rich whites"...."angry whites".....you actually mention Michael Steele because he's black. Who were the angry whites during the Bush administration.
It IS about race. I haven't created any society. I simply was born into it. It was about race long before I came on the scene, and will be long after.

Quote:
My grandfather came here from Italy in the early 1900's (actually all my grandparents came from Europe around that time), they all belonged to a minority group when they got here, they were all white and they were all poor (flat broke actually) but, self sufficient (they had gardens, chickens, a cow, pigs, etc...). None of them died wealthy, just self suffucient.
You can't be white and also be a minority (unless you speak Spanish....). Your family came here in the early 1900s and instantly had more rights than my family did. I don't want to hear a doggone thing about their struggles. Try being unable to vote or having to worry about being hung for looking at a white person wrong.

Quote:
You have lots of immigrants coming here from Russia now....they're all white but, they're a minority group....you can't keep using terms like minorities, non-whites, immigrants when it's in your best interest.....they're not always interchangable.
Unless they're Kalmyk, Buryat or Tuvan Mongols, those Russians are white too. Not minorities.
Quote:

When the republican party says they want to take back our country, you're turning it into the "rich whites.....angry whites" want to take back their country.
I'm observing what I have seen/heard from whites of all economic persuasions, united by their fear of the Nonwhite Unknown.

Quote:
They're talking about not letting government just keep growing and growing....and they're talking about capitalism.....the American dream. My father sold his business in central NJ (the land, building, equipment, all the accounts, the vehicles....everything) in 1980 when he retired (at age 59). He didn't think anyone was going to want it and he was planning on just closing the doors when it was time to retire. Some commercial realtor came through one day and told him he had a Korean family in NYC that might be interested in buying his business. The whole family (the mom & dad, their children and their spouses and all their children) lived in one apartment in the city. My dad ended up retiring a little early....but, first the two oldest Korean sons came and lived with my mom & dad in their house for three months while my father taught them how to run the entire business. He only got $100,000 for the business and he had to carry the loan too....for ten years.

The whole family moved to NJ....they all worked at the laundry.....it's now longer around...it's long gone. They ran the laundry for about 15-20 years and it allowed them to all buy their own homes (a total of 4, including the mom & dad) and they bought 3 dry cleaners (one for each family, the mom & dad retired).

That's how it's done, that's the American dream...that's the way always been done.
How did your father get his access to wealth? Do you know anything about how blacks built prosperous communities in this country, only to have them destroyed by jealous whites? Check your history. Read up on the Black Wall Street in Oklahoma.

Quote:
You're problem again is that you keep saying things like "the whites"....you're the one with the racist mentality but, you don't seem to get that.
No, I don't get that. My mentality is no parts racist. It is simply formed by being an observer of American history.

Quote:
Let's try it a different way. The founding fathers (whom you would refer to as "the whites") were from England. Up until the Civil War, other than the African slaves and Native Americans the country was made up of people froom England ancestry (I know there were others but, that was the bulk of it). It was shortly after the war, that the population of the country really took off with all the immigrants that started coming here from Europe (immigrants....do you understand that but, you call them "whites").
You seem to be obsessed with my observations of what has happened in the U.S. Is there a problem with me calling white people "white?"

Quote:
It's the melting pot here....we're all Americans (if you have citizenship or were born here). I'm have at least 4 different ethnic backgrounds in me...my nieces have at least 6...one has a husband who's parents are both U.S. citizens originally from Mexico....so, they have 3 children from at least 7 different ethnic backgrounds....so tell me, are their children "whites".....latino......are they minorites?

They're Americans.

If only it were that simple. I have all kinds of ethnic and racial backgrounds in me, too. I have ancestors from all over Europe, Asia, North America and South America. Of course, I am also an African. And that's all that counts. I am a "black" or a "Negro" which signifies "other" to too many Americans.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Not enough to overturn a Democratic majority that happened to coincide with a certain proposition, however.
I agree, not enough to turn anything over, my comment was in regards tot he statement about the wealthy living on the taxes of the middle class.

Nita

Old 05-10-2010, 04:06 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,984 times
Quote:
You cannot discuss the history of this country without discussing all of it. That said, of course I know that the South was Democratic. That has nothing to do with the way politics evolved post-LBJ and Nixon.
You're the one that wanted to use most of past century and this one (which is all of ten years now), to point a finger at one party to claim which has had the most anti-immigration agenda. Now you say you can't discuss the history of this country without discussing all of it and then want to talk about only since LBJ-Nixon and ignore the rest (which only the last 40-45 years) to make your point work for you.....gimme a break!

The whole discussion started because of your original comment:

Quote:
Why do the Republicans have such problems with minority Americans? Probably because so many of them are hostile to minority Americans.
To which I said:

Quote:
There is no problem...that's the picture the left keeps trying to paint for political reasons.
I'm not making comparisons about which party is more anti-immigrant. What I'm saying is that the left is trying to paint that picture about the right and it's an old picture that doesn't represent the right the way it used to represent the left.....it's not a problem like it was for them. When the overwhelming majority of the south was racist and very anti-immigrant (as you put it), they made up a majority democratic party....they spoke for the party. That had changed by the time of LBJ's administration and most of those states supported the civil rights laws. Over time, the number of people in those states that didn't support the civil rights movement shrank and no longer in agreement with the democratic party, became either independent or republican. Now in 2010, those that still feel that way and consider themselves to be republicans, are in small numbers in and in certain areas of the country and do not speak for the rest of the party. The left and the liberal media like to paint that picture.

Quote:
It IS about race. I haven't created any society. I simply was born into it. It was about race long before I came on the scene, and will be long after.
No, it's only about race to people like you that want to make it about race. I'm sorry but, that kind of thinking is exactly what makes racism persist. If you were simply born into it and you were born here in the U.S., then you're an American....your children will Americans. People don't migrate to other countries like they do to this country, this is a melting pot. If you travel to another country, people there will consider you an American, not an Hispanic-American, not a Mexican-American or a monority-American....just an American. If they hate Americans, they're going to hate you, even if your skin is the same color as yours.

Roughly half of the country votes republican and half democrat on election day so, by your thinking that means half the country is angry "whites" that and express the views of rich "whites"....that's crazy....only a few percent of the population is considered rich and they're not all "white" either.

It was much more about race before you were born....much, much more....I really wish you could be magically transported back in time a 100 years for a week or two so you could appreciate the time period you have been born in. The reason some race issues will be around long after you're gone, is because of people like you now, that will keep it alive and pass it on. People pass racism on to their children (which may be why you feel the way you do)....they hear it, even in casual conversation between their parents and/or when they're talking with other adults....children have ears and are always listening. When this happens, children get raised with the fears and racism their parents had, even though the day they were born, they didn't have any. Children don't see race or color when they play amongst each other, unless they're taught to see it by their elders. Once taught, they'll look for it and when they do, they'll start to find it, especially in children that have been taught the same things by their elders. They end up fighting their parent's conflicts because of the issues their parents had, not them....or at least they wouldn't have had, if they weren't taught them either intentionally or unintentionally.

It's very difficult to question something that you've always believed....that you grew up believing since childhood. It's hard to see fault in what you learn from your family or parents (or whom ever raised you) because, we've always counted on them for survival, including what we learned from them to survive on our own.

When people judge people by race or color, they only see the people of that race or color that they want to see....the ones that fit into the generalizations that they've made about that race and apply to the entire race. They ignore all the other people of that race that don't fit the profile they believe that race to have....as if they don't exist....when in fact they're actually the majority of the race.

Quote:
You can't be white and also be a minority (unless you speak Spanish....). Your family came here in the early 1900s and instantly had more rights than my family did. I don't want to hear a doggone thing about their struggles. Try being unable to vote or having to worry about being hung for looking at a white person wrong.
How would you know what my family went through after coming here. My mother's side of the family wiped their butt with a page from the Sears & Roebuck Catalog because they couldn't afford to waste money on toilet paper. They looked through the coal other people threw out to find pieces they could still burn. When all four of my grandparents came here they were among a minority group...the same way you seem to think you are....but, you were born here, you're an American....they were foreigners....immigrants. I don't know how your family came here but, in my family's case, they came here, applied for citizenship and then stayed here because, they were allowed to at that time. Everyone that came here then was allowed to, it had nothing to do with being "white". They were entitled to the same rights all citizens were one they also became citizens.

Unable to vote....there was a time women were not allowed to vote in this country....women that were citizens....white or any other color but, that changed in 1920. Which means that when my father's parents came here in 1906 and became citizens within a short period of time afterwards, my grandmother wasn't allowed to vote. As far as being hung for looking at a "white" person....monority groups fought with other monority groups all the time...they were gangs just like they have now and they fought each other all the time but, only in the big cities...it was rural where they lived. What does any of that have to do with you or your family....did they or you have those problems?

Quote:
Unless they're Kalmyk, Buryat or Tuvan Mongols, those Russians are white too. Not minorities.
So some first generation immigrants from Russia are monorities and others aren't? That makes no sense.....that's what's wrong with making it about color....just like it's always been wrong. What if someone from Spain immigrates to the U.S.....they're "white" and they speak spanish so, by your rules, that's the reason they would be a monority, right?

Quote:
I'm observing what I have seen/heard from whites of all economic persuasions, united by their fear of the Nonwhite Unknown.
Well that's your opinion of the group of people you're observing....where do you get that they're fearing non-whites but, regardless of that it's only a small group of people....just the ones you want to see....and then you want to use them as what you consider representative of the republican party.

Quote:
How did your father get his access to wealth? Do you know anything about how blacks built prosperous communities in this country, only to have them destroyed by jealous whites? Check your history. Read up on the Black Wall Street in Oklahoma.
Access to wealth....to have owned a business you mean? The business originally started in 1916, by the time my father entered into it in the early 1940's it had three partners but, they needed money to keep running so, they acessed wealth by finding four more partners, my father was the seventh and the youngest of all of them. He got his money to buy into it ($5,000) from my grandfather....who got it from working at Mack Trucks, where he worked his whole life hardening gears (except for his first year in here when he worked in a coal mine and quit after surviving two cave ins). One by one over the years partners left and were bought out by the remaining partners with the money they had earned from working there. My father was the last one left.

Quote:
No, I don't get that. My mentality is no parts racist. It is simply formed by being an observer of American history.

The problem with that is, that's history and this is now, you're living in the now, you're not part of history. The country has changed throughout history to where it is now because of people of all races, including "whites" so get up to speed.

Quote:
You seem to be obsessed with my observations of what has happened in the U.S. Is there a problem with me calling white people "white?"
Calling people "white" is not the problem, it's ther generalizations you wish to place on all the people you're calling "white" based on history. You can't make generalizations about a group of people because of their skin color and then apply those generalizations to everyone in that group.

Quote:
If only it were that simple. I have all kinds of ethnic and racial backgrounds in me, too. I have ancestors from all over Europe, Asia, North America and South America. Of course, I am also an African. And that's all that counts. I am a "black" or a "Negro" which signifies "other" to too many Americans.
Only if you want it to be that way. I could care less what race or color you are. The fact that I'm "white" seems to mean something (actually a lot of things) to you though. Now, the way you think regardless of your color, means a lot to me....and it doesn't mean "other".

Old 05-10-2010, 06:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
You're the one that wanted to use most of past century and this one (which is all of ten years now), to point a finger at one party to claim which has had the most anti-immigration agenda. Now you say you can't discuss the history of this country without discussing all of it and then want to talk about only since LBJ-Nixon and ignore the rest (which only the last 40-45 years) to make your point work for you.....gimme a break!

You want to quote me, quote me correctly. I didn't say "anti-immigrant." I said anti-minority."

Quote:
No, it's only about race to people like you that want to make it about race. I'm sorry but, that kind of thinking is exactly what makes racism persist.
Right-wing boilerplate. If you bring up racism, you're the racist. Spare me.

Quote:
If you were simply born into it and you were born here in the U.S., then you're an American....your children will Americans. People don't migrate to other countries like they do to this country, this is a melting pot. If you travel to another country, people there will consider you an American, not an Hispanic-American, not a Mexican-American or a monority-American....just an American.
I know this. But some Americans are more American than other Americans. At least to a lot of Americans.

Quote:

If they hate Americans, they're going to hate you, even if your skin is the same color as yours.
You got that right.

Quote:
Roughly half of the country votes republican and half democrat on election day so, by your thinking that means half the country is angry "whites" that and express the views of rich "whites"....that's crazy....only a few percent of the population is considered rich and they're not all "white" either.
Again, you misrepresent what I said. I only mentioned rich whites after you did. But there are a whole lot of angry whites out there. Do you dispute this?

Quote:
It was much more about race before you were born....much, much more....I really wish you could be magically transported back in time a 100 years for a week or two so you could appreciate the time period you have been born in.
I find it fascinating that you have the level of hubris, arrogance and condescension to think that you can assume what I appreciate and what I don't.

Quote:
The reason some race issues will be around long after you're gone, is because of people like you now, that will keep it alive and pass it on. People pass racism on to their children (which may be why you feel the way you do)....
1. See above.

2. Don't you EVER insinuate anything about my family.

Quote:
they hear it, even in casual conversation between their parents and/or when they're talking with other adults....children have ears and are always listening. When this happens, children get raised with the fears and racism their parents had, even though the day they were born, they didn't have any. Children don't see race or color when they play amongst each other, unless they're taught to see it by their elders.
You are either naive, idiotic or a liar. Which is it? I can tell you many, many stories about how children of other races reacted to me. By the way, I am old enough to remember and have experienced blatant segregation, in the North and in the South.

Quote:
When people judge people by race or color, they only see the people of that race or color that they want to see....the ones that fit into the generalizations that they've made about that race and apply to the entire race. They ignore all the other people of that race that don't fit the profile they believe that race to have....as if they don't exist....when in fact they're actually the majority of the race.
I don't judge anyone by race or color. I do judge people by how they think about race or color. I don't hate whites. I hate racist whites. I hate racists of all kinds.

Quote:
How would you know what my family went through after coming here. My mother's side of the family wiped their butt with a page from the Sears & Roebuck Catalog because they couldn't afford to waste money on toilet paper. They looked through the coal other people threw out to find pieces they could still burn.
My heart bleeds for you. Try being a native-born black person in the South. Again, there is no comparison.

Quote:
When all four of my grandparents came here they were among a minority group...the same way you seem to think you are....but, you were born here, you're an American....they were foreigners....immigrants.
Yes, immigrants who were considered human beings, unlike my ancestors who were thought of as being less valuable than animals. Your lack of knowledge about American history is astonishing.

Quote:
I don't know how your family came here but, in my family's case, they came here, applied for citizenship and then stayed here because, they were allowed to at that time. Everyone that came here then was allowed to, it had nothing to do with being "white". They were entitled to the same rights all citizens were one they also became citizens.
Actually......it had everything to do with being white. Just because you don't want to believe this doesn't make it true.

Quote:
Unable to vote....there was a time women were not allowed to vote in this country....women that were citizens....white or any other color but, that changed in 1920. Which means that when my father's parents came here in 1906 and became citizens within a short period of time afterwards, my grandmother wasn't allowed to vote. As far as being hung for looking at a "white" person....monority groups fought with other monority groups all the time...they were gangs just like they have now and they fought each other all the time but, only in the big cities...it was rural where they lived. What does any of that have to do with you or your family....did they or you have those problems?
Yes. There is not a black person in this country whose family is descended from slaves who hasn't experienced this. It wasn't about minorities fighting each other. It was about legally sanctioned terrorism against black people for hundreds of years. Again, you need to read up on basic American history.

Quote:

So some first generation immigrants from Russia are monorities and others aren't? That makes no sense.....
Actually, it makes all the sense in the world. Immigrants who are white have whiteness, and all the advantages that come with it, the minute they step on these shores. It was that way 100 years ago, and it is that way today.

Quote:
that's what's wrong with making it about color....just like it's always been wrong. What if someone from Spain immigrates to the U.S.....they're "white" and they speak spanish so, by your rules, that's the reason they would be a monority, right
?

Actually - and I did not make these rules - if someone comes here from Spain, they are white Europeans. But if someone comes here from Argentina, Colombia or Mexico, and they are of white European descent, they are part of a minority group (the American creation of Latino or Hispanic). Like I said, I didn't make the rules.

Quote:
Well that's your opinion of the group of people you're observing....where do you get that they're fearing non-whites but, regardless of that it's only a small group of people....just the ones you want to see....and then you want to use them as what you consider representative of the republican party.
I've seen enough to know what I'm talking about. There is a fear of minorities among a significant swath of white America.

Quote:

The problem with that is, that's history and this is now, you're living in the now, you're not part of history. The country has changed throughout history to where it is now because of people of all races, including "whites" so get up to speed.
We will always be part of history. By the time you read this, my post will be history because it will have been written in the past.
Quote:

Calling people "white" is not the problem, it's ther generalizations you wish to place on all the people you're calling "white" based on history. You can't make generalizations about a group of people because of their skin color and then apply those generalizations to everyone in that group.
I don't. Have you been reading?

Quote:

Only if you want it to be that way. I could care less what race or color you are. The fact that I'm "white" seems to mean something (actually a lot of things) to you though.
Your whiteness means absolutely nothing to me. What you write, and believe, and assume, which MAY have been formed at least partially because of your whiteness, well, that means a lot.

Quote:
Now, the way you think regardless of your color, means a lot to me....and it doesn't mean "other".
Back at ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections