Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:13 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
If given the choice to either have a TV only, or a computer with Internet connection only, which would you choose and why?
I haven't owned a TV 13 years because everything I want/need to watch or listen to is online.

When I last had TV, I was spending $75 a month for cable. Not taking into account upgrading to newer TVs or rising cable/satellite prices, I've saved $11,700 just in monthly payments for cable at $75 a month. Not to mention how much money I've saved in going to the movies or in buying/renting movies and music.

TV? Who needs it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 02:02 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
I love my cable boxes. I have used online streaming, but quite often the quality is crap. The sound is a awful.

Fiber optic cable to HDMI is the way to go.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:39 PM

90% of everything I watch online is DVD quality. The other 10% isn't worth paying out the nose for and is still very watchable. Sound issues are about one in 50 for me.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:13 PM

I'd rather have a TV with a DVD player than Internet or a cable box though.

As much as I love my ability to pause live TV, nothing beats a disk.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I'd rather have a TV with a DVD player than Internet or a cable box though.

As much as I love my ability to pause live TV, nothing beats a disk.
My favorite thing about disks were all the extras, especially watching commentaries on films. With my iMac, I still watch DVDs from the library just six blocks away.

Still, the biggest reason I like the internet more than TV, even more than all the money I save, is not having to endure commercials or ads of any kind. TV shows are 20-22 minutes or 42-46 minutes long.

Oddly enough, since I got rid of my TV and out from under the influence of advertising and the media, my consumer habits have dropped dramatically.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:51 PM

I like disks because I can take them to watch on airplanes. Most planes in the US don't have infotainment systems. And not all INTL ones do either. When I flew MSP-Tokyo, the 747 I was on didn't.

Sure DVDs take a little room in my carry-on, but my DVD player has a 7 hour battery and I carry two fully charged spare battery packs.

My iPad or laptop battery would not last nearly as long.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I like disks because I can take them to watch on airplanes. Most planes in the US don't have infotainment systems. And not all INTL ones do either. When I flew MSP-Tokyo, the 747 I was on didn't.

Sure DVDs take a little room in my carry-on, but my DVD player has a 7 hour battery and I carry two fully charged spare battery packs.

My iPad or laptop battery would not last nearly as long.
I haven't flown since 2001. Before that I spent my time reading and sleeping to pass the time more quickly. On international flights, I always tried to sleep as much as possible to nip any possible jet lag in the bud.

Isn't it funny that the battery for a portable DVD player will last that long but on the gadgets people use the most, it wears down so much faster? It's all part of making these items not last as long so we have to replace them.

I don't have any of them. Just a computer. Not even a smartphone or a microwave. I don't like owning much and living as simply as possible. I'd be the perfect candidate for one of those 150 square foot tiny houses. If I had a place to put one....

Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 PM

124 posts, read 238,913 times
I would rather watch tv

Old 07-15-2014, 07:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Internet of course. I think that TV is an outdated technology, because you can watch almost any program or movie online, at any time, unlike TV, where you have to watch certain programs and movies only at certain time.
They do have smart TV's. You can get Amazon Prime, Netflix, Videobull, Hulu, etc.

Since I converted all our computer monitors with flat screen TV's with PC jack, I can't even imagine having just a "TV" hanging up in the living room or anywhere in the house for that matter.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:53 AM

21 posts, read 18,572 times
I will go with the computer having Internet.Because you can Internet is so vast you can see all thing on computer which you see on t.v but you are not b able to see those things on t.v which you can explore on computer having internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts