U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,077,908 times

Advertisements

I need your opinions. This might sound a little naive but I'm asking these questions very sincerely.

I'm not into social networking or social media (are they even the same thing?). But, I may need to start using one or more of them in order to bring traffic to my new blog (that I'm about to start).

You see, I don't trust social media sites. Facebook has had some very serious privacy and security concerns. But, in all fairness, I don't know how to use Facebook. Heck, I don't even know WHAT Facebook actually is. Or Twitter. I've never been to their sites.

What is Facebook? Twitter? How are they different? Do you feel your information (and content) is safe and secure? What other sites are out there that people use? (Which one[s] would help me in increasing my blog traffic? (I'd eventually like to make money with it.)

But, for now, I'm very nervous and unsure about social media. What are your opinions, warnings, success stories, horror stories, etc.,?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:39 PM

19 posts, read 26,684 times
Facebook is like your own space online to post photos, videos, thoughts, and you share them with your friends who you 'add' as a friend. You, in turn, can see their photos, thoughts, videos on facbook. The more friends you have, the more stuff you see on your home page and the more people you can reach with your updates. Your friends can 'write on your wall' and 'comment' on your links. Your other friends will be able to see those comments too. You can, if you like set privicy to maximum which takes away your 'wall' and any other area where friends can do things to your page your page.

Re: privicy - you can set privicy options to maximum, so you don't have to disclose your email or photos to anyone but your friends (and even then you can choose who you want to see certain stuff).

Twitter is more of a space to post up quick comments and links, or just read others comment or links. You can follow anyone (unless they've made their account private) and anyone can follow you (unless you do likewise) You can't make a page or put pictures on it like facebook - you just have a home screen with a 'twitter feed' which contains all the posts from everyone you follow. When someone follows you, they will see your posts too - along with everyone else they follow.

Re: privicy - less of an issue because you're not invited to post up contact info or store photo albums etc. and the point of it is you want as many people to see your tweets as possible, so assume anyone can see what you write and don't start posting anything you don't want potentially anyone to read.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the great explanations, skyscraper101. They really help me to start understanding. I hesitated posting this thread because people around me already think I'm a throw-back from the 1800's!

I have to admit, I'm very suspicious and cautious when it comes to Facebook. Based on news articles in the last year, I don't trust the people who run it. I don't want my content, my photos and/or my personal information to become there's just because it's on their site. (My page, but their site. There's always that little catch.)

Old 09-14-2011, 11:33 AM

9,206 posts, read 17,752,822 times
If your blog is about professional topics, you may do better joining LinkedIn. It's similar to Facebook, but nothing personal, just professional.

A lot of people on LinkedIn have blogs focused on certain industries and professional topics, and they build networks of people who share those interests. I don't know for sure, but I have not heard about all the Facebook-type privacy problems with LinkedIn.

Yes, Facebook does let you adjust your privacy settings, but they still change things frequently, and the "default settings" may change. Then you have to go back into your settings and re-set all the privacy you set up. Even with high privacy settings, info you post on Facebook is vulnerable. Someone on your Facebook Friends list might get a virus, malware, or an application that will immediately send itself to everyone on their Friends list. Then you are stuck dealing with it. If you choose facebook, don't put any private info on there (anything potentially embarrassing, anything that would open you up to identity theft, anything you would not want to see on the front page of the news someday). Just assume everything you post will be there forever, and accessible to strangers.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 AM

9,206 posts, read 17,752,822 times
Also keep in mind that discussion forum sites like this one are "social media" as well. Most of us here are more-or-less anonymous. But if you link your blog or website to your activities here or in other forum sites, people can get a LOT of personal info about you.

For example, I don't know your name or address, but if that was on your blog or website, and it was linked to this site, I can add that info I know about you to what you post here. An ID thief, knowing your name and address, will be able to have a good start on using your financial info. They could then try to hack your passwords, like if you use your cat's name "Silly" as a password for your online bank account. It's scary how people out there can put a lot of info about you together.

Also, if you do a blog on a controversial topic, you might get people who will actually threaten your safety. So be extra careful with identifying information.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:39 PM

14,693 posts, read 22,239,186 times
Also, keep in mind that many people have been fired for crap they put up on Facebook. Like teachers posting party pics, calling their student's monkeys, etc.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Thanks TracySam. Great points!! The main privacy concern I have, though, it actually against Facebook itself, not the general public. I've heard about the facial recognition software they want to use and how that immediately gives out personal information. They say you can opt out on that but how are we supposed to believe them? I'm very, very skeptical when it comes to companies and their so-called promises. I've seen the lies and the security breaches (even purposeful ones by them) all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Also, keep in mind that many people have been fired for crap they put up on Facebook. Like teachers posting party pics, calling their student's monkeys, etc.
A really great point! My policy, even before I begin, is to never post anything that I would be uncomfortable explaining to my mother, my wife or my pastor. That pretty much covers my backside!

Old 09-17-2011, 06:41 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,905,545 times
Lots of people use Facebook for business. If you use it professionally, and never post anything that you don't want the whole world to see, you'll never have a problem.

My security settings are set wide open - because I use it for business - and I want the world to see it!

Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 PM

I've been doing a lot of research about Facebook and Twitter as companies and the people behind them. I don't like what I'm finding and have decided against joining any of them. There's far, far too much that I don't like. And even if only a little bit of it is true, that's enough for me to steer clear.

Whether my blog succeeds or fails, it will do so without Facebook and Twitter.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
If you are trying to get the word out about your blog and it is PG, then why are you so private? I should not that zuckerberg is unreliable and unscrupulous, so even if it is not vulgar keep out sensitive info from facebook.
Why am I so private? Because my personal information is just that. It's mine. I should be in control of the sharing of it, not some greedy, nosey big shot companies. Even though I have nothing to hide and there's no big secret about me, the information is still mine. Nobody else has the right to it unless I give it to them.

If millions upon millions of other people don't care about their privacy or security, that doesn't mean that the rest of us shouldn't either. And, from what I've been learning, I don't trust them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts