Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

I have a tween relative who noticed when watching Nick & Disney the black female leads dated boys of all races (raven & keke palmer) but the girls on iCarly never have a nonwhite love interest.

I don't remember caring about stuff like that as a kid but maybe there's some thought process behind it. Maybe not. Who knows. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I have a tween relative who noticed when watching Nick & Disney the black female leads dated boys of all races (raven & keke palmer) but the girls on iCarly never have a nonwhite love interest.

I don't remember caring about stuff like that as a kid but maybe there's some thought process behind it. Maybe not. Who knows. :-)
Ms. Natalay!!! Is that you??

Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 AM

737 posts, read 1,148,318 times
TV shows are made to make a profit. If the majority of advertisers wanted to see inter-racial couples you would see them.

If the Black population is about 10% and if the majority of Blacks marry other Blacks, how many inter-racial couples do you expect to see on TV? Maybe 1 out of every 100 couples.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
I'm not talking about Jungle Fever, Save the Last Dance, or Guess Who either. Those movies don't count, because they are specifically about interracial relationships and the issues they deal with. I'm talking about a movie where interracial relationships are not the theme, but there happens to be an interracial couple. Like for instance, US Marshalls. There was an interracial couple in the movie, but it was never mentioned and that wasn't the theme of the movie.

The other thing I've noticed is that there generally isn't that much of a ruckus when it's a Latino/black couple or Asian/white couple for instance. But whenever there's potential for a white/black couple, it seems like hollywood's attitude is "Oh, no, no, no, lets stay away from that one".

If there are black/white co-stars, it's ok for them to be friends, co-workers, partners, or adversaries. But god forbid they be lovers. Several movies demonstrate this. I'Robot, I am Legend, Bad Boys, Pelican Brief, Kiss the girls, The Long Kiss Goodnight, and the list goes on.

I don't think the movie producers give the audience enough credit. I'm sure they feel it's just too risky so it's just not worth it, they're a skittish bunch. Another movie with an interracial couple, where the relationship wasn't the focus of the movie, was the Dawn of the Dead remake. Mekhi Phifer's character's girlfriend/wife was white and they were just two characters amongst a large ensemble cast.

In the U.S. there's a greater social distance between blacks and whites so it's more controversial to have a black/white couple versus the other combinations you named above. Though it's true that black/white interracial couples are a small minority, they're far from being uncommon.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
TV shows are made to make a profit. If the majority of advertisers wanted to see inter-racial couples you would see them.

If the Black population is about 10% and if the majority of Blacks marry other Blacks, how many inter-racial couples do you expect to see on TV? Maybe 1 out of every 100 couples.
Wow you aren't giving the audience any credit at all. There are a few states in the US were whites are in the minority.

Are you telling me that white people never see or talk to or have interpersonal relationships with non-white people?

Everyone travels in a world were everyone they interact with all day all the time has the exact same upbringing and ethnicity as they do.

That's pretty narrow.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
The better question is, why does anyone care? People seem to think movie and TV studios have some kind of responsibility to show inter-racial couples or have more shows with "minorities" (for lack of a better word). Their only job is to make money.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 AM

230 posts, read 525,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
The better question is, why does anyone care? People seem to think movie and TV studios have some kind of responsibility to show inter-racial couples or have more shows with "minorities" (for lack of a better word). Their only job is to make money.
Why can't they do those things and still make money? Why do they have to keep it all white and with mostly same race couples? Why do they have to go out of their way to avoid portraying interracial couples as I've mentioned before? And besides, in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, they had shows and movies with more people of color. So in terms of that, they actually took a step backward instead of keeping it the way it was.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
Why can't they do those things and still make money? Why do they have to keep it all white and with mostly same race couples? Why do they have to go out of their way to avoid portraying interracial couples as I've mentioned before? And besides, in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, they had shows and movies with more people of color. So in terms of that, they actually took a step backward instead of keeping it the way it was.
I don't know that they are "going out of their way" to avoid portraying inter-racial couples. Also, in earlier decades this was a much more controversial subject. So, by portraying it on TV they got some great ratings.

I guess I just don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about what is or isn't on TV. There are only like three good shows out there.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Napoleon Dynamite had a white guy with a black lady.

Yes it did and that movie is very funny but it's portrayals like that that make me cringe. There are other movies: ("Road Trip?") thta has a similar presence and if I'm not mistaken Deuce Bigalow as well. What they all have in common is that the black women are made out to be a joke in a negative way. It's as if to say, 'they cannot be taken seriously as love interests.' The black women they choose are often very unattractive and very overweight. Obviously not all of us look like that. Again I am not a stiff about comedy movies -- I just don't care for that particular characterization as it seems to pop up often enough.

Note: Two of my new shows feature 'positive' interracial relationships: Ringer on CW and Touch on Fox (although the latter one hasn't developed, it seems like it might).

Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 PM

49 posts, read 235,699 times
Why aren't there more arabs middle eastern and asians on tv?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts