U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:33 PM

15 posts, read 25,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Actually i'd say the 00s were pretty one-dimensionally oriented towards hip hop. They weren't as diverse as the 90s.
Looking at this from a generational/turning point of view, I think the reason the '90s and '00s shared common cultural themes was because they were part of the same era called a unraveling/3rd turning, it is a era defined by individualism, ironic/cynical attitudes, civic decay, edgy, raunchy pop culture(take your pick, gangsta/thug, goth, reality tv, ect.), Gen Xers came of age durning this period(lasted from the mid/late '80s to the late '00s) this era came to an end around 2008, that's why some people noticed a new cultural direction began in '08, it will continue for quite a while.

We are currently in the very early stages of a 4th turning/crisis era, it is a period of institutional upheaval, tightening public order, decreasing individualism(along with crime rates and substance abuse), this will be a period that reverses a lot of the trends and direction society has been going since the late '60s, a whole new civic order will emerge that will replace the one we've been living in since 1945/the end of World War 2. I think overall the 2010s will be a lot different than the '90s/'00s, I notice your username is callmemaybe by Carly Rae Jepsen, well you can expect music to go more in that direction, '10s pop culture will likely be much more saccharine than the recent prior decades but I think the 2010s will be more recognized for the global economic crisis/energy/food shortages. This is a period that Millennials will be coming of age in, they are generally less rebellious, more optimistic, and more group-oriented than prior generations like Boomers and Xers, this is the type of generation that could potentially build a new energy infrastructure(like the G.I. generation building the interstate highway and suburbia in the late '40s/'50s).

This period of crisis could last until the late 2020s/early 2030s, hopefully if society manages to successfully restructure it's economy and overcome it's vast obstacles(like the debt and entitlements), we could be in a new period of social stability, cultural innocence, and prosperity reminiscient of the 1950s, society could be a very different place than circa 2007 by that time.

Last edited by Emman85; 06-26-2012 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Status: "Friends don't let friends drink Tab." (set 2 days ago)

44,125 posts, read 35,143,049 times
From the looks and sounds of things, I believe we've run out of ideas.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,223 times
You guys based only less than 2 years of this decade compared to the whole 00s. Now in 2014 you notice things are changing. The 10s will resemble the 50s, which is already happening with music and clothing styles for teens and college students.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:43 AM

25,044 posts, read 14,259,603 times
The issue is music sped up in the 80's or so. In the 80's you had new wave, hair metal and synth pop as the major sounds at different points. The nineties had grunge early on along with R&B, pop (remember Michael Jackson had Dangerous at this point and the child molestation acquisitions were just starting to get rumors about before hitting the fan in the mid 90's plus you had Mariah Carey start her career at that point as well as the later boy band craze) before you had pop punk, skacore, post grunge, rap, nu-metal later in the decade. The 2000's sound wise was mostly similar with nu-metal going early and later replaced in a way by metalcore, pop punk getting replaced by emo and skacore just disappearing among with the emergence of a rock based pop and power pop like with the Jonas Brothers. The 2010's are pretty much just rap, pop and the emergence of EDM and indie music.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:26 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,475,500 times
Sartorially speaking, I think there is a lot of blending over the last 20 years that wasn't seen toward the middle of the previous century. Take the photo below for example. With a couple exceptions (David's jeans, Donna's top), I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these outfits worn in any mall across America today, 20 years later. Or anytime in the last 20 years, to be honest. Even a few of the hairstyles could still be current.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:42 PM

25,044 posts, read 14,259,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Sartorially speaking, I think there is a lot of blending over the last 20 years that wasn't seen toward the middle of the previous century. Take the photo below for example. With a couple exceptions (David's jeans, Donna's top), I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these outfits worn in any mall across America today, 20 years later. Or anytime in the last 20 years, to be honest. Even a few of the hairstyles could still be current.

The fade hair cuts could belong to hipsters come to think of it. The guy on the right (I never watched 90210, I was just a little too young for the target on that show) could be a hipster if he had glasses.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:33 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,148,931 times
I really have to agree. About the only "style" I see people wearing today is either hooker attire or extremely generic. Whereas previous decades had their own style that one could look at and say "Oh that's 60s/70s/80s/90s etc." from the 00s on it seems as if there aren't any. 20 years from now if someone were to ask me what the 00s/teens were I would not be able to say.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:27 AM

579 posts, read 608,145 times
When i see people wearing baggy pants, I have a chuckle wondering if they are left over from the early 90's

Old 03-06-2018, 01:25 AM

5,334 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Looking back, the 2000s seem more distinct. The 2000s lasted from 2000-2009 however I think the 2000s "vibe" really lasted from September 11, 2001 til May 2, 2011. Basically between when 9/11 happened and when Osama Bin Laden was killed. The early 2000s feel so different from now in hindsight and blend right in with the late 90s. The mid 2000s (2005-2007) is what I like to call the golden period for the internet. YouTube was new, MySpace was more popular than Facebook still, MSN instant messenger was a popular way to chat. It was pretty exciting to be online back then.

2008 and 2009 feel more like the 2010s to me but early 2010s. This SJW crap has unfortunately come to define the 2010s plus being in a second Cold War. Its a bizzare decade we live in now, I hope things turn around in the '20s.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:45 PM

4,933 posts, read 1,671,820 times
It is often difficult to detect a style in mid decade. Its a weird form of cultural blindness that comes from assuming that a style is merely normal rather than a trend. I'd definitely say that the group who wears skinny clothing defines the current style, but there are other characteristics I would guess.

My general theory on this is that style changed so drastically in the 1960's, because of the drug revolution, that we have been slowly working back to what is a normal traditional style since. Every decade was a slow step back from butterfly collars, Indian prints, and bell bottoms. I think we finally found are way back to normalcy in he early 2,000s, and since then styles have continued to get more relatively conservative to where ultra form fitting clothing is now top style. This overshoot will probably revert back to a more normative style as well. Suits used to function to compliment guys with rounder bodies over muscular bodies, and now you need a models body to wear the top style in menswear. C'est la vie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts