U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 05:33 AM

12,183 posts, read 10,070,522 times

Advertisements

The internet, especially social media, has blurred distinction and for the most part people are equally varied and nondescript across geography and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 04:28 AM

16 posts, read 2,095 times
rstevens62: "At least the hipster trend will not last too long"

It ain't going nowhere anytime soon, and that last part makes absolutely no sense, considering mainstream fashion hasn't really changed much since 2012/2013...

You see, typically, the overall culture of a previous decade doesn't fizzle out and lose its luster until 2 - 3 years into the new one.

Bell bottoms and Disco music stopped trending in 1983 to tighter, brighter clothes and the Punk/Hair-Metal style...

The Punk/Hair Metal style stopped trending in 1993 to short hair, baggy clothes and dark colors when Hip Hop and the glamorization of thug/prison culture reached its peak...

Then the OG Grunge-look, (I heard it died in '98) 90's fades and bowlcuts went out of style in 2002/2003 to neat Caesar cuts and emo hair...

2013: Skinny jeans and hipster fashion is officially mainstream and 00's culture is out...

So judging from these patterns, we won't see fashion really change until 2023-ish. 2010's culture as a whole should start to fizzle out by then.

The only slight changes I've noticed since 2017 is emo-ish DanTDM/Hitler-hair, a surgence in man-buns, a surgence in black Nike Free Runs with knockoffs from other brands, (part of the athleisure/normcore hipster trend) a surgence in striped shirts, less ugly hipster-nerd fashion and way less douchey pompadours & Kardashian ombre hair...

Old 12-24-2018, 04:38 AM

14,726 posts, read 11,970,279 times
Oh the mens daft hairdos just now yes they have went a bit mad.... but clothes dont bother me so much now about style , its more how it looks on my body and if Im comfortable in what Im wearing..... Ive now taken to buying some second hand designer jackets from ebay.. got a leather jacket looks like new for £8, its a beauty.. made by. Ronit Zilkha.. a timeless piece.. that I could never have affored in a million years from the shop... in fact I have three of her jackets now.. and had loads of compliments about them.. Jaeger jackets too.. as Ive given on on catalogue jackets and coats.. they dont fit right or are poor in construction and material...

Old 12-27-2018, 02:32 PM

1,102 posts, read 631,913 times
Seems like people in the 90s wore baggier clothes and guys had longer hair. Some guys still had the mullet into the early 2000s.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:59 PM

^ Hipsters have ruined beards, but I like to think of long beards as the modern-day mullet...

The slogan for the mullet was "Business on top, party in the back"... So the slogan for long hipster-beards should be "Business on the scalp, party on the face." lol

So whenever a trend dies, (like the mullet) it just comes back in a different form with the next generation.

Here's a fun, interesting project: Take a look at the first hipster you see, and imagine how differently that person would appear in 1999 based on everything that was trending at the time...

This is what I like to call 90's vision.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:29 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,909,554 times
what would a world war do to the direction styles take?

Old 01-21-2019, 12:56 AM

^ How about just a war in general? Hopefully there's never gonna be another World War in our lifetime, 'cause that would mean the end of the world...

Military-inspired fashion increased in popularity after 9/11 when the war on terror began. Things that were already in style at the time like Caesar cuts or a bald head, a sleek ponytail on both genders, a clean-shaven face, blank apparel, olive green clothing, sweatsuits, classic camo patterns, black/beige/olive cargo pants & shorts, boots like Lugz, Uggs & Timbs (to keep the pant-legs from dragging), etc...

This is all military-inspired fashion, especially when an ensemble is put together. This didn't occur to me until last year when I searched "90's Cargo Pants" on Google Images and saw some old photos of celebrities and Pop bands wearing cargo pants with Timbs in the Late 90's & the Early 00's...

In Pop culture, cargos were most ubiquitous in the Early 00's after the war began. Young and trendy cartoon characters like Kim Possible & Ron Stoppable are some prime examples. And also CJ's girlfriend Helena on Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.

So to answer your question, if a war (and not WW3) should break out in the future, it would increase the popularity of military-inspired fashion.

Last edited by EmoBoySwag496; 01-21-2019 at 01:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2019, 05:57 AM
BMI

6,888 posts, read 4,101,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoBoySwag496 View Post
rstevens62: "At least the hipster trend will not last too long"

It ain't going nowhere anytime soon, and that last part makes absolutely no sense, considering mainstream fashion hasn't really changed much since 2012/2013...

You see, typically, the overall culture of a previous decade doesn't fizzle out and lose its luster until 2 - 3 years into the new one.

Bell bottoms and Disco music stopped trending in 1983 to tighter, brighter clothes and the Punk/Hair-Metal style...

The Punk/Hair Metal style stopped trending in 1993 to short hair, baggy clothes and dark colors when Hip Hop and the glamorization of thug/prison culture reached its peak...

Then the OG Grunge-look, (I heard it died in '98) 90's fades and bowlcuts went out of style in 2002/2003 to neat Caesar cuts and emo hair...

2013: Skinny jeans and hipster fashion is officially mainstream and 00's culture is out...

So judging from these patterns, we won't see fashion really change until 2023-ish. 2010's culture as a whole should start to fizzle out by then.

The only slight changes I've noticed since 2017 is emo-ish DanTDM/Hitler-hair, a surgence in man-buns, a surgence in black Nike Free Runs with knockoffs from other brands, (part of the athleisure/normcore hipster trend) a surgence in striped shirts, less ugly hipster-nerd fashion and way less douchey pompadours & Kardashian ombre hair...
Definitely you have a point about the first two or three years of a decade being mostly like the previous
decade....

Like the early 60s ....1960...1961...1962...maybe 1963 ...being 1950s like ...
then by 1964 the stereotypical “1960’s” really began (Beatlemania and the British Invasion helped).

Same with the early 1970s ....very late 60s like...first couple of years 1970...1971
were still very late 1960s like...more 60s than some actual 1960s years

Also, as you mentioned the early 1980s still a bit 1970s like ...though I think the 1980s
vibe started by about 1982 ...so maybe slighty earlier than other decades.

1990 was pretty much 1980s but late 1991 Grunge hit big and 1992 was the first “real” 90s year.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:45 PM

3,884 posts, read 1,235,339 times
I actually noticed that to, how movies nowadays seem to look and feel exactly how they did in the prior decade, without their own distinct feel, like movie decades from the 20th century.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:02 PM

@ BMI: "1992 was the first real 90's year" You're right, but 90's culture wasn't in full effect until 1993 when you look at hip Generation X sitcoms like Fresh Prince, Family Matters and Full House. Look at how much everyone's style changed that year. Their hair got shorter, their clothes got darker, Will Smith's shorts got longer and you see flannel more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts