U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:53 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,230,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jev View Post
Some people who try to be fashionable overuse the phrase "per se" when describing or comparing something. Worse yet, when they write it, they spell it "per say." Say what??
Yeah, and most people misuse it. They use it to mean "so to speak" instead of "in and of itself."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 11,798 times
Default Not so much? Too much!

I began noticing the recurrence of the phrase "not so much" a couple of years ago, and I started asking the people who used it when they started using it. They all said they'd always used it, or couldn't remember not using it. This is an indication of how this stuff creeps into our vocabs, and how oblivious we can be to the process. The other aspect of this that intrigues me is why people continually appropriate these phrases as if they coined them ... maybe that's their appeal. Public domain.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:44 PM

I think this whole issue of appropriation of phrases deserves some serious study. Why do so many hip phrases get so old so fast? Mainly because people overuse them, having no sense of saturation, and expect to get strokes for having the taste to use a current [we need a new word for buzzword].

We are an intensely imitative species, but are we totally unaware of the negative implications of buzzword overuse? Been there, done that ... no kidding.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:47 PM

Default See reply below X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I am so tired of the media's use of the phrase "not so much," as in "Fox's new show did well, but ABC's, not so much." This is right up there with "how cool is that." What is the origin of this phrase, is it from a movie or something? Why does the media have to take these little buzzwords (like "bling") and catchphrases and run them into the ground?! Just a pet peeve!
Sorry about the edit ... but peeve is spelt peeve.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:30 AM

197 posts, read 664,836 times
What about things like this:

prolly -> probably
sup -> what's up
meh -> i don't care
ub2 -> you should also

Honestly, folks, I'm not nearly as concerned about our primary language becoming Spanish (Ee-span-oh) as I am about it becoming TxtMsg.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:59 PM

625 posts, read 1,403,927 times
Talking " Oh man", "I'm so not into" "huh" and "ya think"

"Irregardless" of the weariness of hearing these phrases continually repeated, "at the end of the day" "basically" " it's not so much", "um"..."stuff" like "that's what I'm talking about" and "I'm just saying"; it's the thought of repercussions on our future speech from the day the overuse of such phrases became "the norm". The day propriety "went missing", "so to speak"; "I mean" "it's insane! Catch phrases " in and of themselves" are acceptable for occasional us, "so to speak", and we cannot escape them without "crossing over". "Wow", this post is "hot", "I totally get it" "As always" you can post here "24/7". Did I overuse these phrases....."my bad" Are we still "cool", "M-man"?

Old 11-01-2008, 10:47 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,384,279 times
The only one that bugs me is Make no mistake....

First time I heard it was coming out of George Bush's mouth years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts