Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 01:30 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

Higher pitched voices are very irritating to listen to, over time. Why are not professional women in the media given voice lessons not to talk through the top of their heads, or nasally?

Some women's voices are just fine, but you 'd think, for the rest, that it would be a career enhancing study for them. You'd think some people on the networks would send them on a program, the way they send some ex sports figures to elocution lessons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 02:41 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Higher pitched voices are very irritating to listen to, over time. Why are not professional women in the media given voice lessons not to talk through the top of their heads, or nasally?

Some women's voices are just fine, but you 'd think, for the rest, that it would be a career enhancing study for them. You'd think some people on the networks would send them on a program, the way they send some ex sports figures to elocution lessons.
I agree! The one that grates on my nerves is Kelly Rippa. Those 'minnie mouse' voices, or trying to talk like a little girl are irritating; plus those who speak with the phony gravely voice...ugh!

Old 08-31-2012, 03:15 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I agree! The one that grates on my nerves is Kelly Rippa. Those 'minnie mouse' voices, or trying to talk like a little girl are irritating; plus those who speak with the phony gravely voice...ugh!
It's so funny that you mention Kelly Rippa. I did not know who she is until I saw her with Philbin on a TD Bank commercial. I had to research the commercial on the net to get her name.
She is a very attractive woman, and judging from the pics on the net, she's had some excellent cosmetic surgery, but during the entire commercial her FACE seems POSED. I don't know how else to put it, but she looks so 'cutesy - phony'. Yeah, she has the voice, too.

Not only are some news presenters way too high pitched (which really CAN be corrected without a lot of difficulty if they just took voice lessons), but those little childish voices of Marylin Monroe and Jackie Kennedy really got on my nerves. That's not saying that I did not like these women, but that they felt the need, probably at an early time in their lives, to appear powerless and nonthreatening. Maybe it was calculated later in life by Ms. Monroe. They say men are sometimes intimidated by beautiful women and perhaps the 'voice' countered that. Little, mousy, voices. Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts