U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM

692 posts, read 822,116 times

Advertisements

Wardrobes.
Broke characters designer clothes and never wear anything twice. I remember as a little girl watching Who's the Boss envying Alyssa Milano's wardrobe at the same time thinking how the heck does this chick afford all those nice clothes on her dad's salary? Some of them were really pricey. Heck both my parents worked and I had 1 maybe 2 pair of jeans.

Housing.
Unless it's a gritty indie film in movies and in tv middle class people live in idyllic neighborhoods with impressive interior decorated perfectly accessorized houses that easily cost a million dollar plus depending on where they are located. Heck even on Married with Children their house was supposed to be shabby, but it was a single family home that had at least 3 bedrooms. I'm still trying to figure out how they were so poor yet lived next to a bank VP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,582,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Honestly, everything I think of would probably end up having some terrible unexpected consequence that I'm not thinking of. At least in all the fiction I've read and seen. If I were given two wishes, I'd wish for:

1. Excellent, preferably perfect health. Not immortality, just great health until I die at 90 or so.

2. No need to work/no money concerns. I don't need to be wealthy, I just want all my time to be free time, while living comfortably.

Right off hand I can't think of any fiction that involves those two things without intentionally adding negative side-effects or taking them to extremes, like a person isn't just healthy, but immortal, which of course may not be a good thing. Or a person doesn't have to work but it's because he/she is insanely wealthy and that causes a lot of negatives for the person.
For number one, I think the closest thing would be Bruce Willis in "Unbreakable" Unbreakable (2000) - IMDb

Number two is trickier... Maybe being Kramer from "Seinfeld". He doesn't seem to have a job, but yet can live in a Manhattan apartment across from a famous comedian.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,582,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
The flying DeLorean from Back to the Future.
But how long would you have it? Do you think the government, terrorists, crooks, thieves, etc. would take one look at it/know about it and say, "Man... that's cool. Too bad I don't have one."

I'm pretty sure it would be gone after the first night in your garage/driveway.

Unless you somehow went back/forward in time and found ways to make sure you were the only person able to use it.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM

40,976 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post

Number two is trickier... Maybe being Kramer from "Seinfeld". He doesn't seem to have a job, but yet can live in a Manhattan apartment across from a famous comedian.

There was an episode where George referenced Kramer as someone who had "fallen face first into money" suggesting that he some sort of independent means of support.

The credibility of this was shored up some by the two times Kramer was in a position to make money from a lawsuit, in one he opted for free coffee and in the other he went for having his face used in the cigarette ad in Times Square. He wasn't motivated by making money, which hints that he did not need it.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,992,346 times
Time travel. So the DeLorean, or the phone booth from Bill & Ted's. And if secrecy is necessary, I'll take the Omni from 'Voyagers!' Although I rather not have to fix history...... just tweak it a bit - in my favor of course.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 AM

4,668 posts, read 6,115,072 times
Biff's sports almanac from the 'Back to the future' sequal.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:34 PM

11,090 posts, read 12,475,857 times
The Holodeck in Star Trek.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 AM

18,356 posts, read 23,531,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
A full time pass to Warehouse 13 could be very interesting, but I'm afraid I'd mess with the wrong things.

What I always thought would be cool is to be Samantha Stevens (Bewitched). It was my favorite TV show as a kid. Oh, the fun I'd have with that nose power.
and what fun Jeanie could have been...

Old 07-17-2016, 07:24 AM

26,160 posts, read 15,365,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro
Teleportation. I would love to be able to go places as I wish!
Yes i would LOVE going to 1988 and getting $100 worth of plain m&ms!!

Plain M&Ms,Lipton Lemon Iced Tea,ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I could go on and on dues!!

Time machines would be awesome if one did exist! (Maybe they do,who knows)

Old 07-17-2016, 09:26 AM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
I could definitely have some fun in a Holodeck
http://images.shirts.com/products/23...shirt-logo.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts