Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 years old and I never even got into Pokemon. It seems like I'm in the minority for people in my generation when it comes to anime. I just don't get the appeal of it. I mean I can sort of understand why people would think it's cool but it's not my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM

Any thoughts?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:19 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times
I don't either, but we're hardly alone.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,347 times
If it's Studio Ghibli, it's great. If not, I can't be bothered with it.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:53 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,485 times
Pokemon? No. There is a lot of good anime out there that's definitely worth watching.

Edit: Forgot to mention I really hate people that become obsessed by Anime because they think it's cool to watch anime 24/7 and nothing else, and then they become all elitist about it, like they are too good to watch anime that doesn't have subtitles. Whatever! Don't be that guy.

Last edited by BioMechanical; 02-20-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 03:24 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
There are lots of different kinds of Anime for all sorts of different audiences. Plenty of anime (especially Pokemon) is trash but many other series are pure artistic gold that completely put American stuff to shame. Look around a bit more before writing off the whole idea.

But entertainment is to entertain you. If it doesn't do it for ya, don't watch it! I can't imagine wading through some anime that I hate (like Pokemon) just to be "cool".

Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,981 times
I am 22 years old and the only type of anime I ever got into was Pokemon. When I was a kid between the ages of 7 and 11, I was obsessed with Pokemon. I had to have the cards and the game boy games and the VHS movies of the episodes. I remember when Pokemon The Movie came out. I was so excited.

That's where my Anime obsession stopped. In high school, the group of friends I mostly hung out with were obsessed with other types of anime and were always reading them and watching them. They bored me to death. I was the only person in the group that didn't care for it at all it felt like. I just cant get into it.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
I am 22 years old and the only type of anime I ever got into was Pokemon. When I was a kid between the ages of 7 and 11, I was obsessed with Pokemon. I had to have the cards and the game boy games and the VHS movies of the episodes. I remember when Pokemon The Movie came out. I was so excited.

That's where my Anime obsession stopped. In high school, the group of friends I mostly hung out with were obsessed with other types of anime and were always reading them and watching them. They bored me to death. I was the only person in the group that didn't care for it at all it felt like. I just cant get into it.
I sometimes joke that Pokemon was the gateway drug to anime.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
I enjoyed my Pokemon gameboy game and had a Sailor Moon phase, but I generally find anime (and manga) to be inferior entertainment. Honestly, it all looks like one person is making all the anime in the world because all the writing and animation is indistinguishable from one another.

I think some young people think its really cool to be disenchanted and blasé towards American culture, so they immerse themselves in something entirely different just to prove how alternative they are.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I enjoyed my Pokemon gameboy game and had a Sailor Moon phase, but I generally find anime (and manga) to be inferior entertainment. Honestly, it all looks like one person is making all the anime in the world because all the writing and animation is indistinguishable from one another.

I think some young people think its really cool to be disenchanted and blasé towards American culture, so they immerse themselves in something entirely different just to prove how alternative they are.
Really? I think there is much more variety in anime genre compared to, for example, American Hollywood movies and TV shows. I mean, the last decent Hollywood movie that I can remember with an original and captivating plot was Inception...and that came out almost 3 years ago now.

Just look at the American TV shows that are popular now.. The Walking Dead and Arrow. Both are just repackaged comic book stories for the broader American TV market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts