U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 01:25 PM

15 posts, read 16,358 times

Advertisements

starting with the movie industry, you look everywhere and all of them are basically the same movies we have been watching. the endings are so predictable. It's like they have this formula. actually they do, I know, but seriously people need to revamp the formula then.

The music industry. I only see the same names in the head lines so I search up new artist and they are all replicas of those already in the headline I guess that's why they are still unknown. It's like gamers going back to World of Warcraft even if they have new stuff, because people prefer originality.
Secondly the reason why people like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are so famous is because consumers nowadays are all kids and they prefer people dancing on stage with lights and stuff rather than just this guy standing still singing 10 songs in a row.

The video game industry. Simply producing too many rushed games. Like 10 games are released every week. And all of them feel like they haven't been properly done. Maybe just your same old game with a fresh new cover. I'm so sad When is this going to pass?

I'm not trying to be negative cause I'm all about being positive but don't you just think that 2013 is looking bad? Don't' even get me started about the economics and politics and the wars and the crime rates and whatnots. Analyzing statistics it all started in 2008 but really started to show in 2011-2012. Was thinking we could have a break in 2013 but just no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 11:05 PM

565 posts, read 1,075,849 times
I think it' a pathetic time, actually.

It feels like there has been this huge fixation of a look over a talent for the last almost 15 yrs now, something I call The Britney Effect. Britney Spears was a complete fabrication of the music industry, and exploded on the scene with sex appeal, pouty lips, and suggestive lyrics. No real talent in singing, just sex appeal. That inspired alot of marginal acts and record companies to sign them. It took the emphasis on the singing talent and shifted that to the visual.

In movies, it's all a rehash of mostly 80's movies or themes. It wouldn't be so bad if it did a proper homage, but today's films are either interpretations of classics (G.I. Joe and Transformers come to mind) or they are so watered down from yesteryear and attempt to feebly regain badass cred by adding stupid garbage that makes these ripoffs look even weaker to those who saw the same thing the first time around, or load with names in an obvious attempt to garner box office appeal. Case in point here is Hot Tub Time Machine. This movie, about a hot tub that ports people back to the 80's, sure comes off as a bunch of mishmashed 80's b-movies minus several significant points, those chiefly being using name talent instead of a cast of (lower paid) nobodies, actual low brow humor and copious amounts of gratuitous female nudity. What do they do to counter all that politically incorrect stuff? Smoke a bunch of weed, make drug references and curse a lot. Wow. What an update.

People wonder why the previous generation (whichever generation, not a particular one) seem to be stuck in their own period. It's because the next one keeps ripping their ideas off and adapt it to suit themselves, and in the older generation's eyes, it's hackneyed, watered down sissyfied garbage.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 PM

22,872 posts, read 64,921,520 times
Yes, I do.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,479,108 times
If you look at mainstream media, sure. However, this is a golden age of independently produced material. Good things are out there, they just aren't being brought to you anymore. You have to search them out yourself.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 AM

818 posts, read 1,482,413 times
Movies: Disagree with you here, I thought 2012 was a decent year. Avengers, TDKR, Skyfall, Django, Lincoln, Life of Pi. 2013 doesn't look too promising so far though. Only Man of Steel and the new Star Trek movie excite me so far.

Music: Definitely crap. Not as bad as the 00s though. At least people don't blast Bieber on their car stereo the way they did with Limp Bizkit.

Video games: Understandably down since we're at the end of the console cycle. That being said we still got great games like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite recently.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 AM

131 posts, read 159,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Sleaze View Post
starting with the movie industry, you look everywhere and all of them are basically the same movies we have been watching. the endings are so predictable. It's like they have this formula. actually they do, I know, but seriously people need to revamp the formula then.

The music industry. I only see the same names in the head lines so I search up new artist and they are all replicas of those already in the headline I guess that's why they are still unknown. It's like gamers going back to World of Warcraft even if they have new stuff, because people prefer originality.
Secondly the reason why people like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are so famous is because consumers nowadays are all kids and they prefer people dancing on stage with lights and stuff rather than just this guy standing still singing 10 songs in a row.

The video game industry. Simply producing too many rushed games. Like 10 games are released every week. And all of them feel like they haven't been properly done. Maybe just your same old game with a fresh new cover. I'm so sad When is this going to pass?

I'm not trying to be negative cause I'm all about being positive but don't you just think that 2013 is looking bad? Don't' even get me started about the economics and politics and the wars and the crime rates and whatnots. Analyzing statistics it all started in 2008 but really started to show in 2011-2012. Was thinking we could have a break in 2013 but just no?
The entertainment industry is depressed solely because corporations are taking the creative aspect out of the creators work in effort to boost revenues. A company would rather pay $3 million to a artist and take all of their assets on the side (it's called the 360 deal by the way), and have complete, legal control over the artist.

But I actually appreciate Lady Gaga's music, Justin Bieber is a different story.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,438 posts, read 50,666,198 times
When it comes to movies, the number of remakes and sequels has increased, but TV is the worst. Networks copy each other and suddenly it's the same show with different actors and
titles. The human imagination is a wonderful thing, but when any artistic medium has been around 50-100 years it's easier (and faster) to copy something already done than spend a lot of money paying someone to "think". Music is similar but I think there is a lot more creativity
there and some of the really old acts are still going strong and finding new fans.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM

11,789 posts, read 15,808,595 times
For movies, it seems that every new movie has an extremely predictable direction or ending. I can almost predict what will happen to each cast member just by their actions, or sometimes just by their speech. What is most disappointing though is that most of the new movies seem to be loaded with blatant political views and agendas. Most of the new movies don't survive my hand-held remote past the first 10 minutes. With actors and actresses becoming openly politically obnoxious, it's no wonder that movie producers are using more and more computer generated casts.

For music, there is a LOT of young talent out there just as there always has been. However, there's also a lot more consumers that even great talent has difficulty in wading through. And like movies, when musicians wade into politics, I hit the scan button.

For games, I really don't have an opinion past the 30-second commercial spots I see on my television. There's obviously a lot of talent in the production of these extremely detailed video games but then I never found much entertainment value in visiting slaughterhouses.

Entertainment is difficult to find on in contemporary radio, TV or theater productions anymore. It's still there though. It's just harder to find than it used to be.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 PM

910 posts, read 1,799,893 times
I definitely agree.

None of the movies in recent years have even made me curious, in reality my taste in movies is simple and old-fashioned, I like to be entertained but in a feel-good way, so too much action and violence will only raise my blood pressure, lol! Same for horror because most have gotten so gory not even my worst nightmares could produce stuff like that. I'm open to some mystery movies as long as they're not too complicated or twisted. So I think the only themes left for me are history/biograpy, romance and comedy and the few of those recently made have not even appealed to me, especially the comedies, I'm like a little sick of American humor at this point.

Music, except for some of Adelle and Maroon 5's songs I don't really care for most of what I've heard out there. I do not play video games so I don't have an opinion about that.

But unless I read to quickly TV has been skipped, and to me that's the worst. I only bother with PBS and some of the "educational" channels, but even those have resorted to dumb shows like "Pawn Stars", "Honey Boo-Boo" (ouch!), etc., I couldn't dislike "reality" more than I do and I've sampled quite a few mainly out of boredom, but for most one season is plenty and for others one episode, others not even the whole hour, so I cannot understand for the life of me what kind of mentality likes that kind of junk. So I'm glad my son decided to send me a "Roku" for Christmas and now I can watch stuff from other countries which to me is a very refreshing change. And I see in blogs and forums that a lot of people are turning to the internet for entertainment because of the wider range of choice, so if the American entertainment industry doesn't wise up to that their sales may start to seriously go down...

Old 04-15-2013, 07:19 PM

4,853 posts, read 8,327,000 times
Smile As a female, I agree....

Movies - some good ones here and there - loved Argo for example - go BA! I just think Hollywood is out of ideas. We are glorifying the wrong crap; the Kardashians - are you kidding me? If they can make millions, maybe we should all brand ourselves. Is this what we want our kids to aspire to? (Recent movies I have liked: The Call, Temptation, The Company You Keep).

TV - Reality - the dumbing down of America - Honey Boo Boo (that poor kid - in 10 years, you watch; Lilo won't have anything on her; the shows just get dumber and dumber. Hey, here's an idea - how about building up America - how about building up our fellow man/woman?

Sports - when I was a kid, we had tons of sports heroes - it was rare that you read about someone in trouble; those in sports understood what it took and you needed to keep it clean in public.

Video Games - not into them but give me a good pinball machine (LOL).

Music - Wow, I'd say the 60's to the 80's were the best. I'm glad I'm not 17, otherwise, I'd have to be a Belieber (ugh, the thought) - that's what the girls love today, yikes, where is the Springsteen of today?
(I do really like Jake Owen though).

I think as a culture we're trying so hard to be zapped that why not just tone it down a bit and enjoy the people around you, where you live, the nature, the culture, what there is to do, (for me, it's the beach).
Oh well, I just think Hollywood is out of ideas and the music industry is too. (Tons of 4 letter words don't make a great song).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts