U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 PM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,238,434 times
Reputation: 62050

Advertisements

I haven't watched television for about 15 years now because it was beyond stupid back then I cannot imagine what it is like now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 AM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,170 posts, read 54,190,879 times
Reputation: 163291
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Less TV yes. Youtube? 95% of it is complete garbage. The other 5% are clips from TV shows and movies that are acceptable for a little nostolgia trip, cat videos and Russian car accidents
I would imagine most youtubes are music videos. 95% garbage....? Well, that's debatable and entirely up to individual taste. Music Videos are about all I watch on Youtube. My music choices are 100% great to me! T.V. programming is crap. That's not debatable. Hollywood is pushing garbage on all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 4,136,204 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Between Netflix and YouTube, the amount of TV I watch is limited to if my favorite team is playing.
Bingo. Sports is about my only need for TV now. Though I do watch the news and things like Animal Planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,701 posts, read 4,671,006 times
Reputation: 3676
No, I don't see Youtube as a TV substitute at all. It's good if I want to see a music video or something comical that I had heard about, but it is no substitute for catching the latest episode of one of my shows on TV, for watching news, live sporting events, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 AM
 
280 posts, read 582,870 times
Reputation: 283
Are the latest TV episodes and sporting events not accessible on the Internet?

Last edited by VGravitas; 05-15-2013 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 AM
 
280 posts, read 582,870 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
We are witnessing the transformation of youtube into tv, just a little more tricky

Luckily, there are other video sites, such as DailyMotion, Hulu, and ViMeo.


I hope that people will also use those other sites, so that there won't be any monopolies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 11:00 AM
 
2,575 posts, read 4,690,699 times
Reputation: 6378
I haven't had cable or satellite service for three years now, and I find that the few things I want to watch are available online, streamable through my computer to my big-screen set. I don't find youtube to be a substitute for TV, but another medium for watching media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Tijuana Exurbs
4,000 posts, read 10,447,133 times
Reputation: 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Less TV yes. Youtube? 95% of it is complete garbage. The other 5% are clips from TV shows and movies that are acceptable for a little nostolgia trip, cat videos and Russian car accidents
I have watched some Youtube vids of obscure movies and even re-runs of Whats My Line from the 50s and early 60s.

But what really cuts into my TV viewing is the amount of time I fritter away watching cute kitty videos.

Someone, please give me back my Man Card!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,969 posts, read 3,074,473 times
Reputation: 2884
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I have watched some Youtube vids of obscure movies and even re-runs of Whats My Line from the 50s and early 60s.

But what really cuts into my TV viewing is the amount of time I fritter away watching cute kitty videos.

Someone, please give me back my Man Card!
It just doesn't get better than keyboard cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Windham County, VT
10,626 posts, read 4,945,132 times
Reputation: 20840
I watch tv shows only online, got rid of tv/cable a couple yrs. ago & haven't missed that delivery device one bit.
I free stream tv shows via YT as well as from lists of link-host sites.
Same with music, I listen for free on YT or Grooveshark, rather than bother with radio or cds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top